1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dealing With Antagonists In The Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 29, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What policies do you have in your church to deal with antagonists in the church especially those who attack the pastor or another staff member?

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Matthew 18, with the pastor & deacons taking a leadership role.

One of the smartest moves we ever made was this: To bring up new business at a business meeting, one must get it on the agenda the week beforehand.

This has gotten rid of the silliness that had plagued our meetings. 3-4 people in our whole church would seemingly rotate and bring up 1-2 items per month--some were irrelevant/unneccessary; some were "whiny," negative, and backbiting; and there were occasional complaints about ministers or other staff--and almost without exception, the people had not discussed the item with the "defendant."

When our (then new) pastor instituted this guideline, several things happened:

• Our business meetings became, frankly, boring.
    • On business mtg. night, our church was able to have a Bible study, because our meetings were shortened by 2/3 (or more).
    • Our complainers became less troublesome.
    • The overall mood of our church lightened.
    • When real church business was brought up, there wasn't a sense of dread & foreboding.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have communion before a business meeting.
    If that doesn't work substitute antidepressants for the bread.

Every church has a dragon, sometimes they are worth listening to
    But they are best kept on a short leash.

Rob

4. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Make em deacons

5. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

A good watchdog is benificial in a lot of instances. Morristown Tn sure could have used one.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with your post except for the two listed above.
    1. Matt 18 should be by the elders - not the deacons
    2. I would make the cutoff about 48 hours before the meeting

Otherwise, sounds like some excellent policies

Salty

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of the reason's I would never have made it as a Preacher/Pastor.

I would show the door to the antagonists and tell them to get lost.

8. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

You can't do that and be scriptural. The scripture says that you can not get lost once your saved.:laugh:

9. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You can't do that and be scriptural. The scripture says that you can not get lost once your saved."

...you got a point there, John. Hadn't thought of it that way.

10. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

The Bible is clear in the book of Timothy and Titus, those that oppose the pastor, he should be patient with and gently instruct.

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yes, he should be patient and gently instruct. But, some folks don't want instruction. After a period of time one must deal with antagonist or they can very well destroy you and/or the church.

One rule that I have as a moderator, and this is going in the new Constitution and By Laws at my current church, is that new business that is committee related must first be addressed by the committee. ie. A buildings and grounds motion is not allowed from the floor unless it has first been brought to the buildings and grounds committee.

12. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is certainly nothing wrong with a review and discussion of any issue prior to bringing it to the body. This is just good common sense. You have heard the old line about a Camel is the result of a Horse that went through a Committee.:laugh:

The below scripture is missing in the hearts minds of too many church members. Too many Baptist folks don't recognize the power of Satan. Satan is NOT working in dead churches as they are already dead but he is alive and well in churches preaching Salvation through Jesus.

Joh 13:34, A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
    Joh 13:35, By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

...with a little more love and understand there would be a lot less fighting. :1_grouphug: