1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dealing with Fundamental Baptists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Dec 26, 2011.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last 3-12 months I have put in a number of "mailed resumes" for jobs at a Fundamental university that I think would be a better fit for my abilities, passions, etc.. However I have gotten turned down for every single one of them. I do not understand why as I have met the requirements on 90% of then.
    I used to work and be a student at this IFB school, and as far as I am concerned I left in good standing. Perhaps they have found more qualified applicants, however after applying to these careers and getting that cold and hard rejection letter, I have still seen many of the jobs on their job website.

I know that there is "was" some indifference towards me by some employees at this school, and some of these employees have had contacts among the higher rank faculty. I have completely apologized for my part in the conflict which happened some 3-4 years ago, however the person or persons have chosen to be indifferent and not respond to my apology letter. The Lord convicted me to write a letter after reading the book "When you have been wronged" by Erwin Lutzer.

My first response has been to do some open air preaching and or use some confrontational methods with these people. Having completed the Way of the Master basic training course twice, I am well familiar with open air preaching and confrontational methods. But I am not sure I should do this, as the offense is towards me and not God.

At the moment I just plan to move on, and take it as a sign God does not want me there. I cannot speak or reason with some of the Fundamentalists as they are stubborn and set in their ways. They hold grudges none the less. What do you say that I should do?

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This, by way of application brother:

Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king.
    Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable. For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly. For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God. For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, WHO COMMITTED NO SIN, NOR WAS ANY DECEIT FOUND IN HIS MOUTH; and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;1 Peter 2:17-23

- Peace

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would say regarding conflict and wrongs, that you need to be in contact with some respected mature believers in the context of a local church who actually know you, who can give you some wise counsel after hearing the total of the situations. In general, I would say don't take offenses personally...I would consider reading some peacemaker materials (ken Sande).

Regarding jobs, I would say it is VERY UNLIKELY that you would be given a job at an institution where you were involved in any way in a past conflict...especially if you have confronted those involved in a less than gentle way. I would move on.

I do hope you find employment soon so you can support yourself.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two thoughts come to my mind.

First. There is no reason not to ask the university to place in very specific terms why they turned you down within the context of improving your acceptability and sharpening your resume' - this may expose a hidden agenda on their part or perhaps a need to clarify the resume'.

It is important that you approach the educational systems from the position that you are educable and desire to be shown areas you can improve.

By disarming their rejection, you are placing them in a position to justify before men and God their decision without putting them in a defensive posture.

Second. It is so very easy for we men to become discouraged and depressed when it relates to job searches. Real men hold themselves most capable of solving problems and working through any situation. When solution is not found and the search of good work is fruitless, men have an internal mechanism that results in anger and sense of worthlessness.

However, it is amazing how many find that as they look at available resources and area needs, the Lord gives them a specific vision.

Do not give up, do not quit.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, my heart goes out to you, but it may have nothing to do with past events. It is extremely difficult to get hired on at any fundamentalist school right now because of the economy.

I've recently talked to those in the know at several different schools, plus my son has been sending out resumes for a teaching job and is finding it hard sledding, though he has two master's degrees from fundamentalist schools and is finishing up the dissertation stage for his Ph. D. Whatever jobs you are applying for at that school probably have many applicants, so I suspect any job there would be hard to be hired for.

All fundamentalist schools that I know of are down in attendance, meaning new hires will be scarce. What students are doing is getting their basic freshman courses at community colleges to save money. Then in many cases they go to school for a year then take a year off to earn money for the next year of school.

So things are hard all over. May God guide you in His perfect will for you.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My friend, I agree with John of Japan. A lesson that I learned as a pastor and missionary has helped me immensely as a Christian and may help you. The beatitude is, "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be broken".

God has a place for you, seek that place and the job will follow.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

What, specifically, does the problem in the OP have to do with fundamental baptists? I understand that the school applied to is a fundamental baptist school, but do you deal differently with them because of that? Shouldn't the process of applying, interviewing, etc for a job be the same when dealing with fundamental baptists as opposed to southern baptists?

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However I have gotten turned down for every single one of them. I do not understand why as I have met the requirements on 90% of then.

evangelist6589, perhaps the Lord doesn't want you where you are wanting to go.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The proper term is "fundamentalist" not "fundamental."

The "ist" makes a difference in this discussion. The fundamentals of the faith should be the items we all agree upon wholeheartedly in order to be Christians. Fundamentalism or fundamentalist, however, is something else entirely, often a legalistic bunch of Pharisaical believers who have in essence written their own theology and doctrines that set them apart from orthodox Christianity (though that is certainly not universal).

Regarding your exploration of fundamentalistic schools, you have just run into what I describe above. If one is not already in their crowd, it is unlikely that one would be included later from outside.

10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1. Forgive them.

2. Re read your sentences up there and realize that ANYBODY can be stubborn and set in their ways and not just fundamentalists.

So be ready to move on and be prepared to 'step out of the boat'. Rejection is very difficult: It took my wife 18 months to find a new teaching job. She literally submitted hundreds of resumes, did dozens of interviews until one day, she got a phone call.... I'm certain the same will happen for you.

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps the OP can be more specific about the jobs and what qualifications he holds.

I agree with JoJ in that humanities positions everywhere are drying up faster than grapes under the Tuscan sun.

I've talked with a couple administrators of universities and colleges right now and they are flooded with PhDs looking for entry-level work. For instance one NT position at a smaller Christian university I know elicited 200 resumes from qualified (not to mention the tons of unqualified) applicants. The final group of applicants included people with 2 PhDs, several Oxford DPhils, Ivy Leaguers, and some really qualified candidates.

If you don't have the credential (assuming this is a faculty position) you won't get the time of day...or even a letter of denial.

That said if its a staff position, past poor encounters do have a continued impact. Just because all has been forgiven doesn't mean it's forgotten. I know of several former staff that acted improperly who, after reconciling later, still wouldn't be included in a candidate search at any of my churches. :)

12. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You folks just can't give it a rest can you?

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not break any laws and I did apologize for my part. Oh well its all in His control.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People need to learn to forgive and forget. No laws were broken and the police or FBI was not involved, so why make such a fuss?

If Christians are not willing to do this, then perhaps I should apply some of my Way of the Master training and do and do some open air preaching. No… Open air preaching is meant to convict the ungodly against their offenses to God, and not to me..

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point.

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bridges are more easily burned than rebuilt. It might be time to move on and consider it a learning experience.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Very true!

18. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You don't get to set the agenda of restoration and forgiveness when you've wronged someone.

Like I said previously, forgiveness doesn't always equal forgetness in a professional setting. One instance of a former staff member comes to mind: He was asked to leave our staff (in another church) because he openly criticized the Senior Pastor and was spreading false rumors about two ministry assistants in order to get his wife a job. After some time away he came and asked the leadership for forgiveness and apologized for his actions to many in the church. While we accept his apology and offer forgiveness, we'll never hire him again. That isn't wrong on our part. Though his sin has been removed he still has to deal with the effects of it.

I agree it's Arbo, it's time for you to move on.

19. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    People and organizations can forgive and still not want to hire you. Forgiveness is a gift, but trust, and in this case hiring you is a matter of trust, is earned.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then the Apostle Paul would be disqualified from the ministry.