1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dean Burgon on 1881 RV Committee.doc

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by AVBunyan, Aug 22, 2004.

1. michelle

michelle New Member

--------------------------------------------------
    And your point is? I already said Burgon was opposed to the Greek NT put out by Westcott and Hort. That does not mean he believed the TR or the KJV to be inerrant.

BTW, I own that book. This is not new to me.
    --------------------------------------------------

And you REJECT AND IGNORE the post where I showed you what He thought of the BIBLE, yes the AUTHORIZED BIBLE, to which was the BIBLE of his audience he gave the SERMON to and asked the question after He stated that he believed the words of the Bible were inspired - Do not you? Then he gets more specific in what he is referring to by saying, every book of it, chapter, verse, word, syllable, letter of it.

He also had this to say:

"Destroy my confidence in the Bible as an historical record, and you destroy my confidence in it altogether; for by far the largest part of the Bible is an historical record. If the creation of man, - the longevity of the Patriarchs, - the account of the deluge; - if these be not true histories, what is to be said of the lives of Abraham, of Jacob, of Joseph, of Moses, of Joshua, of David,? of our Saviour Christ Himself?....Will you then reject one miracle and retain another? Impossible! You can make no reservation, even in favour of the Incarnation of our Lord, - the most adorable of all miracles, as it is the very keystone of our Christian hope. Either, with the best and wisest of all ages, you must believe the whole of Holy Scripture; or, with the narrow-minded infidel, you must disbelieve the whole. There is no middle course open to you.
    (Burgon, Sermon II, p.46)
    (David Cloud: Myths about the Modern Versions, pg.180-181)

Speaking again to his English speaking audience.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

2. natters

natters New Member

Michelle said "And you REJECT AND IGNORE the post where I showed you what He thought of the BIBLE, yes the AUTHORIZED BIBLE,"

I did not reject and ignore it, I specifically addressed it. Nowhere in that quote, or the new one you just posted, did he specify the "Authorized" Bible, but rather the Bible that was uttered by God (i.e. before centuries past and it underwent translation into English).

You, however, have rejected and ignored the quotes I posted from the very book you gave free advertising for a few posts back. Why must I address your information, but you get to dismiss mine?

Goodnight, I've had enough for now. Maybe sometime tomorrow I'll check in again to watch the show.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using the Anglican Version, accepting the MT as the best, etc etc does NOT make a person KJVonly.

Where did Burgon say that the KJV (whatever revision) is the ONLY BIBLE for the English speaking world? Where did he say that we should discard the Greek - as Michelle has said - since the English corrects it?

Understand what is being said. Do NOT say more than the person did. Dean Burgon is dead. You can't make him a member of your sect. He loved the MT and the KJV, but was not an "only".