1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dean says : quit basing their votes on "race, guns, God and gays."

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Nov 6, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean told a Tallahassee audience today that southerners have to quit basing their votes on "race, guns, God and gays."

Dean, making his first campaign foray into North Florida, spoke at a
    rally in Jacksonville then addressed more than 500 people at a luncheon of the Capital Tiger Bay Club.

He said Sen. Bob Graham, who announced on Monday that he won't run for re-election, is on his "short list" for vice president - if he wins the Democratic nomination to face President Bush next November.

The former Vermont governor, who is a physician, also criticized Gov. Jeb Bush for rushing through a law that allowed Bush to override the courts and restore feeding to a Tampa woman, Terri Schiavo, who has been in a "persistent vegetative state" since 1990.

Dean said he hopes to reassemble a coalition of conservative
    southern voters like President Franklin Roosevelt had in the "solid
    South" 70 years ago. Although his opposition to the war in Iraq and his criticism of the Bush tax cuts do not score well in polls in the South, Dean said he hopes working families will support his call for improving education and health care.

© 2003 Tallahassee Democrat and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.tallahassee.com

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Uh-oh. He may have blown it with that one.

Labor is still backing him rather than Gehardt, who seems more in line with their thinking.

I still think Clark would be a stronger candidate against Bush.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's how I would reply to Mr. Dean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :D [​IMG] :D

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I tend to think Dean's remarks are 'racist' by infering that southerner's only vote on 'race, guns, gays or God'.

Where are the politically police when WE need them?

Diane

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It's not racist (because anyone, black, white, native American can vote by race) but it is a slap.

It's also falsely implies that other areas of the nation don't vote by race. I know it's a big deal here in New York (heck, we gave the nation -here, take him- Al Sharpton).

But what about the rest - "guns, gays and God"? Is that a mischaracterazation?

The PC police did get him; he's had to apologize, I think. I heard about this first on NPR, so he has not been allowed to slide on this by the so-called "liberal media".

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Shoot, Daisy! (Not literally of course!) I don't have a gun, a truck or a dawg and I was born and raised in the south. I wonder if there's something wrong with me!!

Oh, and PLEASE keep Al Sharpton!
    [​IMG]
    Diane

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No, no, no - we want to share!

You don't even have a dawg! Maybe there is something amiss with you...You do, at least, drink sweet tea?

So, ok, strike guns. How about gays and God? States' rights?

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I drink Sweet tea and I'm a child of the King so I guess I still qualify! Whew!! BUT .. NO Al Sharpton! We live 35 miles and 200 years from downtown Atlanta, the gay capital of the south!

Diane

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

So, that is an issue with you, right?

Do you at least have a cat?

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh of course! I have a lovely old cat named Dubbs. He keeps an eye on this board because he saw that some posters don't think Cats go to heaven. If you look at the bb.com photo album and misc. images... you'll see him watching y'all!

Diane

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Photo album? Where's that at?

(cats not go to heaven? what a silly notion! I've heard that when Hindus and Buddhists have been really, really good in this life, they get to come back as cats in the next)

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh Daisy, check it out! You can see a number of us and our kids, animals, churches, etc.

There is a TRICK. You MUST.... the minute you go there, remove the bullets from the password spot and replace them with your bb.com password or you'll get a failure.
    http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/album.pl

Enjoy!
    Diane

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

From the debate Tuesday night, the highlight for me was when John Edwards (North Carolina) told Dean that the last thing southerners needed was people like him telling us how to vote and think. I came off the couch with a rousing cheer! [​IMG]

15. Echowee

Echowee New Member

I'm glad Edwards told him that. And besides, if people are allowed to base THEIR vote on anything that want. If someone wants to vote on which candidated they think would win a hog tying contest, let them. There is no criteria for voting these days. Sheesh.

16. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Dean's got Goldwater's disease. He tells the truth in a way that makes people uncomfortable.

The voters in the south get jerked around by code words in campaign ads. I don't think their dumb as much as the two parties mostly put up dumb candidates.

In Texas, we once had a candidate for Senator, who looked pretty good until he quoted Shakespear in a press conference.

I figured he was a lost cause. He was. He lost in a landslide to a former cheerleader with an IQ in double digits.

17. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

We Want Dean! We Want Dean!

All thinking Republicans want Dean to be the Democratic Candidate. [​IMG]

What a Loser! [​IMG]

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quote from the article linked by Eric B:

"If we are really one nation, indivisible, let us show it by eliminating the Confederate flag from all state buildings, all pickup trucks and all hearts."

NEVER! [​IMG]

I will never surrender these flags to either the KKK on the one extreme or the PC liberal crowd on the other extreme that the author of the linked article belongs to.

The PC liberal crowd distorts the meaning of the Confederate flag every bit as much as the KKK does.

20. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member