1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dear God, Hearest Thou Mine Supplication?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by InTheLight, Jun 10, 2011.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I think you know that was not my point. You will note that my comment about the 'old words' was used in a more general context that the charity/love discussion.

I think that the 'old words' can be refreshing in their difference and give us new insight on words that have become commonplace. They can give us cause to stop and think. I personally like the history of the English language and don't believe it is healthy to limit ourselves to any one period of the language's history.

No, I do not speak KJV language, but that doesn't mean that it is useless.

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I have oftern heard people say similar things. Yet in the KJV itself, the pronouns "thou", "thy", "thine", etc. are not reserved for addressing God. In that translation, Jesus even says to the devil, "Get thee hence, Satan", (see Matthew 4.10).

Besides, it is surely with our hearts that we honour God. A person can address God as "Thou" and yet not be honouring God. Think, for instance, of the many who repeat "the Lord's Prayer" parrot-fashion. They mouth the words, "hallowed by thy name. thy kingdom come." etc. but for them it is just routine.

I certainly won't use high church prayers. However, I have found that some of us use the phrase "high church" differently to others. To me, "high church" means: a section of the Anglican Church that stresses the essential unity of Anglicanism with Roman Catholicism, holds traditional views about the sacraments, and favours ritual and ceremony.

So for me, high church prayers would include those addressed to Mary or "the Saints", and the like.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

When I say "high church" I am speaking of a more formal atmosphere. The pastor wears a robe as does the choir. The service is highly regimented. It appeals to the more "sophisticated" Christian. I'm a country boy, raised in a small country church where such things would have been frowned on. The high church atmosphere makes me uncomfortable. I don't like having to watch my p's and q's when trying to pray publicly. Allow me to pray from the heart rather than attempting to pray in some old fashioned vernacular that I have trouble understanding let alone pronouncing. After all, am I praying to the congregation seeking to please their high church sensibilities or am I praying to God who judges my heart as opposed to the style of my language?

4. Usmc2068

Usmc2068 New Member

Amen Brother!