1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay New Member

Should Christians be in favor of the death penalty. Why or why not? And can you support it by scripture?

2. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

While I do not think it makes you any less or more of Christian, to be in favor of the death penalty is in line with Scripture for the government has been given the power of the sword by God.

3. gekko

gekko New Member

death penalty.
    iraq war.
    suicide.

none of this should happen...
    judge people maybe. let God sentence them to death if that's his plan.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The Masters case is just the lastest example of why we should not execute. If he had been in Texas, no doubt he would already be dead.

CLICK HERE

5. standingfirminChrist

It is a tragic injustice when some people are put in prison for life for a premeditated murder where they are accused of a second murder while in prison (my foster brother killed, was sentenced to life and then accused of a second murder behind bars.) and others kill more than one person and are set free to walk the streets once again (my cousin Amber and her unborn child were murdered last year and their killer was found not guilty).

What is happening to our justice system?

Had my foster brother been put on death row, he would not have been accused of the second murder.

The killer of two innocent lives should have also received the death penalty.

6. Magnetic Poles

Denver Post Op Ed Piece on the Masters case

CLICK HERE

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Testament does not require the death penalty (the OT does) nor does it prohibit it.

I am personally in favor of the death penalty for first degree murder. I believe the accuse should have an appeal system, but 20 years on death row is a bit excessive.
    When a murderer is put to death (at least in the US) it is thru the legality of the government, not one individual.
    If a cop shoots and kills someone in the line of duty (yes assuming he had cause), would that not be considered a form of capital punishment.

One other thing, I believe the death penalty should be given for justice, not for revenge.

Marilyn Vas Saint of Parade (the person with the higest IQ) magazine was was asked what is the difference between justice and revenge.
    She answered that justice doing right (or something similar) but enjoying the punishing (for the qulity) is revenge.

Salty

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

The N.T. does not prohibit death penalty, but the O.T. it was God's idea, God called for socal laws , punishment and justice. There are certainly people who need the death penalty. Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacey, Jeffery Dahmer (sp?) to name a few, deserved the death penalty. Otherwise we say theres no consequences for such crimes.

9. gekko

gekko New Member

let him without sin cast the first stone.

NO TO THE DEATH PENALTY!
    hmmm. i'll picket only here.

good day folks

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Galatians 6:1 (as far as casting the first stone)

Death penalty. When you show me where the Bible prohibits the govt from giving the death penalty, then I will hop on the wagon with you. Until then,...

11. gekko

gekko New Member

until then i'll let you support the killing of people.

iraq war is basically death penalty.
    heck i'd say being an american is somewhat of a death penalty since so many muslims are out to kill you all.

#11 gekko, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2008
  12. Kay

Kay New Member

I am in favor of it I think. Would it not stop some of the madness if people new justice would be the death penalty. And how many claim they are insane in order to get off .Is life is jail really enough punishment?

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

All murder is killing
    All killing is NOT murder

14. Magnetic Poles

If the death penalty were a deterrent, there would be no more murders in Texas.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    twenty years of appeals tends to make a deterrent less than successful.
    I'm not saying to judge,convict and execute on the same day, but lets me a bit more realistic.

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Death Penalty is 100% effective in Texas against repeat murder offenses.

By the logic you are using above we should not penalize or jail anyone unless it can be show that all crimes of the type for which we jail a person - have ceased in the states where jail sentences are in place.

I.e - the argument you are making does not work for any level of civil order.

The only argument we have today against capital punishment is the number of falsely accused victims on death row. There needs to be a study on the percentage that is false. There needs to be a technolgoy review by objective review groups having nothing to do with the legal system that jailed the individual to validate the legitimacy of claims of unlawful conviction. (I.e. the person either "did not do it" or they have a case to make for "self defense")

in Christ,

Bob

#16 BobRyan, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  17. standingfirminChrist

If the family wants their killer loved one alive, let them pay to keep him alive. Why should taxpayers have to pay to house them?

And especially the families of those who were murdered.... why should their tax dollars go to housing the murderers?

18. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In cases where conviction is certain and even the killer is not disputing that the clear facts that they did the deed and it was not for self-defense -- should be an automatic injection - but I would recommend a month or two for them to think about the issue of salvation before they find themselves standing at the 2Cor 5 judgment seat.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since I'm not a serial killer, and I haven't killed and eaten anyone, I think it's safe to say, people like this need to die.
    If we aren't to judge, then we don't need jails and prisons. Kille someone, rob someone, rape someone, no need to arrestt hem, they can't be sent to joil or prison as that would be judgement that only God can enact. Let them all go and do what they want. As a matter off act, we really shouldn't have laws, becaseu for one, we wouldn't be doing anyhting to those who broke them as we would be forced to judge them first.

#19 donnA, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  20. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One important factor on this issue is that we should distinguish between Personal and Government.

The individuals are not allowed to kill any one.

However, the Governments are the shadow of the God's Judgment and the Law Enforcement, though the governments may be governed by mostly secular or the pagan believers. God provided or allowed tacitly such government system because it is the best way to protect the human beings even in the heathen world.
    Their law system must reflect the Justice of God in the best way. However, not so many countries such good system yet.
    Serial killers are often reported to have no remorse at all after their arrest and are quite ready to commit the horrendous crimes again as long as the opportunities are given. Many humanists say that the government and law should show the humanism and mercy etc. HOwever, we should not forget about the rights of the dead which could be enjoyed and exercized if the dead was alive.
    Any abolition of the death penalty can be a rebellion against the commandment of God.
    However, there should be mercy and grace, and accuracy in determining the penalty as well.

The God of OT is the same God of NT. In late 80's or early 90's when George Bush was the governor of Texas, he refused the pardon for the woman prisoner who killed someone ( I guess it was her husband) but repented and was born again in Lord Jesus Christ. When I read the article she was apparently born again and saved, and said she would be happy even though he would be put to death. G Bush who claimed to be a born again believer refused to pardon her. It was sad to me. Someone may recall that event more accurately than I do.

Anyway, my conclusion is that we should distinguish the individual and the government and the government must function as the shadow of the Judgment by God.