1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debate topics or polls

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 29, 2008.

?
  1. Debate topics

66.7%
  2. Polls

55.6%
  3. either

44.4%
  4. Or

33.3%
  5. both

77.8%
  6. red pencils

33.3%
  7. Milk and coffee

33.3%
  8. cell phones with cameras

22.2%
  9. Other

44.4%
  10. many of the above

55.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Should we post debate topics or polls in this forum?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I voted for all of them... I was trying to disagree without being agreeable so no one knew where I stood on the issues.

Einstein once said, "remain silent until sure"... He obviously wasn't baptist and would have stood out at business meetings... :laugh:

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

LOL, LeBuick!

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

The title of this frum needs to be changed to say debates only. But until it is,, this forum is not debates only. This poll proves it.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The question is moot.

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:thumbsup:

(Why do the "smilies" appearing on the right side, even as I post, keep changing, so that sometimes, I have to hit the "More" part, and at other times do not have to 'open' this page, to 'import' the same exact smilie??)

Ed

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

This poll proves nothing except to make light of it all.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should there be such an extreme in the “requirement” of separating discussions types?

IMO, there needs to be balance. Sometimes I might simply want to discuss something that may or may not turn in to a debate. Now, if I were to post it in a “strictly fellowship – no fussing” forum… guess what happens to it. In the debate section it gets moved; in the fellowship section it gets deleted. Some of these types of topics have been moved just because they are considered too “fluffy”, and that attitude begins and ends with some of the overzealous moderators seeming to want to keep things unyielding.

Requiring everything to be a “serious debate” in a specific section tends to leave behind the fellowship and gives the wrong impression on how one feels about his brothers or sisters while leaving few opportunities to express that and form a more civil relationship. There is a “Theological Debate and Bible Study” section already and then there is an “Other Baptist Discussions” which seems to be censored as per an expectation for argument through the whims of whoever/whatever. Never mind the desire to have “other discussion” with like-minded Baptist if it doesn’t suit the “fight/no fluff” tough guy agenda!!! A few lighter topics give the chance to get to know one another in an easier environment while all the “serious” arguing isn’t being expected. I’m not talking about just fluff; (speaking to you tough guys with the temper and authority!) The lighter and loving topics are often abolished from within the discussion area senselessly.

Would I want to see a dominance of “how’s the whether” or “howdy do-Jesus smiled at me today” treads in the discussion area like I’ve seen elsewhere? No. But neither do I want to see only “blank is my orthodox Biblical view and if you disagree my friends and I will cut you off at the knees…SO BRING IT!” There needs to be more of a balance, right there, in the discussion forum.

It’s difficult enough to “discuss/debate” through only writings which are void of the interpersonal communications of body language and facial expressions and without the adoption and promotion of this inadequate mind-set of “Oh, you want some of this (Baptist discussion)…defend yourself…infidel!” I can’t tell you how many times I have observed myself or others getting “caught up” because of the poor environment which brings this type of communication; it comes through the mindset established here by the “tough guys”, in a way that I know would not be normally going on in such a manner face to face. In person, I may be very frank, probably more than most, but even I approach these things delicately and with kindness for the purpose of edifying, yet people here will generally turn any attempt at this into a lynch mob mentality at the drop of a hat as if friendly discussion should be expected somewhere else.

The attitude here with the “serious Baptist debate only” discourages some of the balancing behavior Christian’s “should” be conveying and striving for, hence, the need for the balance. NOT a separation of attitudes: one type here and the other there. There is just no way that many of the approaches happening within this board would be such in person.

A lot of what is going on here is plain self-centered, mean spirited arguing, and is done through nothing less than a cowardly fashion while hiding behind a screen and keyboard in total disregard because fighting is the expectation here. This is enforced by “some” of “authority” who I assure you would use a different tone and attitude in person, but they have their shield to hide behind on the internet. Well, you get what you pay for.

You’ll notice as per “Marcia’s Point” that many will not even typically engage in the debates, (I’ve found myself being less and less willing to) but many will join in on friendly discussions as observed by the upswing of participation in her simple, less intense, civil discussion treads. She exaggerated it, but it should still tell you something.

To each his own I suppose, it’s not my board. The sister board being called the “Fighting Fundamentals” may reflect what they want here also. For me, I’ve met some that I would really like to know in person and have learned a lot here, but I’ve also noticed some undesirable aspects working their way into my life because of being accustomed to the habitually staged and overly harsh environment expected in the discussion area here. These negative influences have brought me to consider whether they outweigh the benefits. I’ve been thinking for some time that I should just move on. Actually, I know I should.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Must be Baptist, I read the whole thing and don't if you're for or against...

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Ed, I want to know the answer to this, too! Inquiring minds want to know!