1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debate with Heretics Again

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, Mar 24, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I never got a chance to post in the previous thread, but thought it to be a great subject. There are plenty of other threads for Calvin free will debates. Anyway, I had two points.

One is that the word heretic is used back and forth sometimes in a very flippant way. It is a harsh term, and should be reserved for only most extreme of circumstances. One is not a heretic because they disagree with someone's opinion about the Bible. Someone is a heretic when they believe and spread false doctrine. If you do not agree with me about free will, KJV, end times, etc that does not make one a heretic. If someone denies the divinity of Christ and that Christ is God, now that is a heretic.

The second point is, we were on a mission trip last summer, in East Kentucky, going house to house. One guy brought out a box with a rattlesnake in it and want me or my team to put our hands in the box to test our faith. I chose not to stand around and argue with him, and moved on. I guess what I am trying to say is that I will spend all day trying to explain the Gospel, but I have no desire, nor am I going to waste time debating those who hate the Christian faith and ask questions like, "Can God create a rock too heavy for Him to lift?"

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The apostle Paul wrote:

1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

The word "heresies" here does not mean doctrine soundly condemned by the church as totally unorthodox. That word did not exist then. It was a word that meant "sect" or division. There were divisions in this carnal church, and there were false teachers.
    Paul was saying that differences of opinion that caused these divisions was good in the sense that in discussing them the truth would eventually would come out and "they which are approved (as opposed to false teachers) may be made manifest among you." In discussing the Word of God the truth would be made manifest; error would be condemned. When we get to chapter 15, we find that even the resurrection had been denied by some.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The differences between the people in 1 Corinthians 11:19 was that there were people getting drunk at the Lord’s supper on the wine, and there were people there who ate first and did not care about the poor getting food.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There was also poor teaching, people partaking of the elements for the wrong reasons.
    Paul writes:

1 Corinthians 11:28-29 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Looking to the Word of God as their standard would help them sort out the truth, and the "ones approved of God would be made manifest," as the verse says.

5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

They were getting drunk and eating without care of the poor having food.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And so????
    That doesn't address the verse quoted.
    That doesn't address the word "heresies."
    Stay on topic.