1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deceptive Budgeting

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Pastork

Pastork New Member

Actually, when I first came to the church I cordially refused to leave the room during any portion of a business meeting, even for the discussion of my salary. This was because there were a few at that time that liked to indulge in criticizing the pastor while he was out of the room. I simply told the congregation that if what needed to be said couldn't be said with me in the room, then they probably shouldn't be saying it. However, things have changed dramatically over the years for the better, so it is no longer a problem.

2. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Our pastoral staff salaries are noted in the published budget as line items. They have even noted my non salary. I have had folks mention this and I feel the Lord is paying me quite well for my service as an intern. My secular job provides for my family. I am learning to serve His people and His blessings are better than anything I have been able to get with money..

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

If a member insists on having the pastor's salary published (rather than available, only to members, for viewing by individual request), why would the same member have a problem with having the tithes of each member also published?

4. Pastork

Pastork New Member

The answer to that is simple. Publishing the pastor's salary is not the same thing as publishing what he gives. So you cannot equate publishing the pastor's salary with publishing what the members give. For example, my salary package is included in the budget given to all members for them to see, but none of them knows how much I give. And I don't want to know how much they give either (See my arguments in the Should Pastors Know what YOU Give? thread for the reasons I think pastors should not know what those in their congregations give) .

Pastork

[ January 15, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Pastork ]

5. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Publish in the budget papers the gross amounts for each position. - which is what we do.. things such as tax andsuperannuation and other items are the business of the salary earner and the relavent govenrnment department so not listed seperately

Bob