1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Decisional Regeneration

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Amy, How can Joseph say to his brothers, "You meant it for evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result"?

2. His brothers were evil, yet God work out His plan through their evil.

3. Amy, "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, OR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR? Or WHO HAS FIRST GIVEN TO HIM THAT IT MIGHT BE PAID BACK TO HIM AGAIN? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen. (Romans 11:33-36, NASB, emphasis mine)

4. At the end of the day, we just have to lift our hands and worship God, for his ways are beyond us.

#41 TCGreek, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Does anything happen without the knowledge of God in advance of the happening? If the answer is No, then that is what we mean by Decreed.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree that God's character never comes into question. So please know that however we may disagree, that I believe that God is completely sovereign and I never challenge that.
    God did not author the sins of those who crucified Christ, which means they did it of their own free will. He did not author the sin of Adam, which also means that he did it of his own free will. I believe free will is a part of us that was created in the image of God.
    But our free will also falls within the sovereignty of God. We are only as free as God allows (or decrees :)).

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I don't think one concept is set against another. Let me offer one Bible example and then I gots to go to bed :sleeping_2:

Allow me in part to share in part why I became convinced of these things. John Calvin visited me in a dream and....JUST KIDDING. :laugh:

Some of these same things were being presented to me before I understood them or gave them my assent. So I gave the dilemma over to God and asked Him to teach me from His word. I thought to begin in Genesis and keep reading through the Bible to the end in hope that the Lord would make know His truth to me on the matter.

And as I like to joke, it wasn't Calvin that convinced me, but Pharoah. God said so many times that HE would harden Pharoah's heart to show His glory. When we read of Pharoah's responses to Moses, what do we see? Pharoah, of his own volition, hardening his heart! Herein is seen the free-will (agency) of man, doing according to all his pleasure/whim, and perfectly accomplishing what God determined before to be done! And the Holy Spirit is to gracious to provide an infallible commentary on this in Romans.

The same is seen in Acts 4:27-28 "For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done."

I have been listening to the Bible on CD in my truck on the way to work. And I listened again to the Gospel account of Jesus before the people and Pilate. Pilate sought to let Jesus go! But he didn't. Why? Because he, along with all the other people, were doing "whatsover thy hand and thy counsel determined."

This is really a great mystery to me. I cannot completely comprehend it. But I can stand in awe of it, and glorify God through it. And that is what I hope I am doing.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

In that we are in total agreement. Amen! :)

6. ReformedBaptist

Decreement is not a word, so your post is invalid. :laugh:

7. ReformedBaptist

Now, at minimum, compare your understanding of the death of Christ with Acts 4 that I have quoted in another post with you. What say ye?

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Did God know that sinful men were going to crucify His Son?

2. Did God author sin?

Yes.

What do you mean by yes?

Because God is sovereign and nothing happens without his permission, by that we mean God decreed.

3. Amos asks, "If a calamity occurs in a city has not the Lord done it? The answer is a resounding Yes.

4. You have just affirmed the sovereignty of God over human responsibility and that is why God turned bad to good for his good pleasure (Gen 50:20; Isa.53:10; Acts 4:27, 28).

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been labeled hyper-Calvinist on this board, and there be some here who have hinted at me being outright heretical, but for the life of me, I cannot understand how God can glory in creating Adam and decreeing, that is foreordaining, in other words, setting events into motion, in which Adam will finally and without fail sin against Him, so that He will have to banish Adam from the garden, and in turn impute upon every one of Adam's descendant Adam's sin, and cause everyone to be born fallen, corrupt, and depraved, necessitating His putting on the form of a slave, and taking upon Himself the punishment of those whom He designed to save from eternity past, thru a covenant with Himself, delighting in His own death in the body of His eternal Son, in order for Him to have a people unto Himself who will praise His riches in mercy for generations ?

I cannot understand that. I do not see Scripture that makes God at once both the author and punisher of sin in light of such Scriptures as pointed out by those on this board, such as Scriptures that state that He has no pleasure in the death of the wicked !!

For Him to foreordain Adam's fall and sin, and pass on this depravity to others, and then say that He has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, makes Him a HYPOCRITE !

Please do not justify such monstrous doctrine with pat references to God's "mysterious" ways and God's sovereignty (which no one denies).

I believe that, although God foresaw and foreknew that Adam will fall, it was not because He had set in motion certain events to transpire that will ensure Adam's fall.

I believe that the reason Adam fell, was because "dust thou art", that is, he was taken from dust, from the earth, although created perfect and without sin, until his predisposition to sin, bore witness to God's holiness, being the only One in this entire Universe, which He brought into existence, that was self-existent, therefore absolutely pure and holy.

Further more, I dare not proceed at this point.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Point well taken about the Acts 4 referance.

11. ReformedBaptist

Thank you for this post. It truly serves as an illustration of DR in what your teaching here, and encourages me to contend earnestly for the faith on this subject.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Please continue. This is how I see it too.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a hyper-C! :eek:

:tongue3:

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

I'd like to get into the issue of how someone decides differently with you. Just how is that?

skypair

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Quoting you again cause that was well said! Bless you, brother!

skypair

15. skypair

skypair Active Member

We try to stay REAL on this board. Let's not spoil the moment.

Some people believe because they are CONVICTED -- some are not. You know -- John 16:8-10. "And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;"

Is that not good enough for you?

skypair

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

That's "lawyer-speak" for God sovereignly created sin "by decree" (so it's alright) and He violently has to snatch the "elect" from their natural course in life to save them.

skypair

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yeah -- by OBEYING God and trusting in His promises!

#57 skypair, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2007
  18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another classic line of misrepresentation courtesy of our high-flyin' friend SP . In his garbled world of interpretation he said : " ... He violently has to snatch the elect" from their natural course in life to save them." Hmmm , what Calvinist has uttered this stupidity ? O , that's right . It came from the mind of SP !

#58 Rippon, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2007
  19. lbaker

lbaker New Member

LOL - sure, no problem. If it wasn't for BB I'd be bored to death sometimes, waiting on something to break.

20. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Denial is not a river in Egypt. The hardest thing for an alcholic to do is to admit they are an alcholic in need of help.

The hardest thing for a sinner to do is to admit they are a sinner.

We can be like Adam and Eve and find out how we can blame other for our problem like God in this case or blame ourselves for we are where the problem lies. It has nothing to do with God, because He wants all to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.