1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Deep book reads

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know... I'm so ashamed...

I also read Harry Potter (and liked it). I hated the Hunger Games. Loved LOTR (of course). And I am re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). I have never bragged about my taste in fiction.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....and I thought it was just a bad movie

I'll admit I've read a few of Anne Rice's vampire books.

There's some interesting theology in those early vampires stories but they have evolved into a confusing hodgepodge of neo-vampish forever-teens.

Yeah, Hunger Games was a looser that just kept getting worse with each book, the last one took about an hour to skim.

Rob

#22 Deacon, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GreekTim I read that PDF file and it threw me a curve ball. I then looked at Macs commentary on Revelation, Ron Rhodes, and a book by Walvoord called End Times which got a little into Revelation but not much detail as I lack his commentary. I then sought of am looking at this book called 4 Views on Revelation however I have my book buying freeze. However amazon has a credit card or a store card and from what I read I would get $50 off first purchase so I may sign up and get a book for free. I did the same with the paypal credit card and got $20 off. However don't plan to use that card again so I may do the same..

I think I need a deep explanation and rebuttal of GK Beale and neither Mac nor Ron Rhodes has the ability. I bet the 4 views book or a Walvoord Revelation commentary would do the job.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, read them as you find them, no particular order. My listing is nor an exhaustive list, but a representative one.

Happy reading.

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My idea of a deep read would be one where the author assumes a familiarity or working knowledge of biblical languages.

I think that hand in hand with this assumption is another one - that the reader is well read.

The references, quotes, footnotes are going to reflect these assumptions. Someone who is not well read, nor familiar with related arguments, nor familiar with biblical languages and the verbiage employed in such discussions will be overwhelmed.

For me, the best reading is a doctoral dissertation. They're challenging, usually presenting nuances not previously encountered. Not always, though.

Try Googling "Electronic Theses and Dissertations" and maybe add Christian or Theology

You can find all sorts of very interesting, deep reads

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well GreekTim I ordered the four views on revelation book for FREE. I applied and got the amazon CC and got $50 off instantly and the prime membership. I will cancel the membership and won't use the CC despite the $50 credit all of which means I get the book for free and other books up to $50. I will take a longer and deeper look at things and lord willing the authors will address this preterist, and Idealist approach to Revelation in depth, which is something that neither Mac nor Rhodes has done in their books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310210801/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually at Bob Jones I heard and was well familiar with the Teetotalist position and POV. I am well indoctrinated in their position. When I heard people like RC Sproul speak on the topic and then read Gentry and other Reformed types and looked at both views in balance I concluded Teetotalism was incorrect. However due to my marriage I am having to abstain from even a Mike's.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vampires? Did you know that the Vampire has changed over the years? Dracula was first thought of to be very satanic and evil. But these days Vampires are looked at in a positive light which is bad news. Even in the X-files from some years ago portrays vampires in a positive light.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Just finished two series of novels:

1. Divergent/Insurgent/Allegiant - Not that great, bad ending. (Man-card revoked)

2. Wingfeather Saga, (4 books, by Christian musician Andrew Peterson) - Really really good, similar in feel to the Chronicles of Narnia...Possibly almost as good. Read them, you won't regret it! Great Gospel undertones.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sometimes read the Amish mystery novels...some call them romance novels, but I call them mystery novels :smilewinkgrin:. Ted Dekker and Dean Koontz are my norm for fiction.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious though as to how many of those authors would have a view on the Bible as being the inspired/infallible word of God though?

For if they miss that regarding the scriptures, then whatever they have to offer will be a less than...

12. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    That doesn't make the book a shallow read. I was listing criteria for what might be considered a "deep read". Doctrinal preference does not enter the debate for me. If it did, then an alternate view would likely be even deeper (i.e. not inspired views) just because there are critical ideas that you would have to work through and try to understand.

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Also for something different: Read all of the Isaac Asimov books, from I Robot all the way through the Robot novels, the Empire Novels, and the Foundation series. It's an intriguing Universe he has imagined.

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the measure of a "deep" book is how much you, the reader, are changed at the closing of the last page?

15. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean it is not deep if you do not finish it completely?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But how much light can a person have to write on the bible and things of the faith if they deny that it is even trustworthy though?

Can understand that in lexicons or dictionaries one can profit from a less than critical source, but in theology itself?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also would add the Dune series to that!

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question; and I would answer by saying that the reading is a journey. Such changes don't occur only on the last page.