1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DEEP THEOLOGY

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Rev. G, Sep 19, 2002.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come to think of it I read that one to!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Blackbird reads:
    "Exploring Revelation"--by Dr. John Phillips(Einstein of all Theologians)

"Kingdom Authority"--by Dr. Adrian Rogers(one of my Southern Baptist heroes)

And others!!

Blackbird's kids read:
    "The Boxcar Children"

Your friend,
    Blackbird

3. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

jcrowe:

Know any history related to Luther's Preface to Romans? It was during the reading of that work that John Wesley "felt" his "heart strangely warmed" and was converted. [​IMG]

I'd suggest you also read Luther's 'Commentary on Galatians' - the "Magna Carta of the Protestant Reformation." Of course, if you want to read what Luther considered his finest work, then read 'Bondage of the Will'. In my estimation, this is both an excellent work and it IS his best. [​IMG]

Rev. G

P. S. (It's good to study "deep theology" in the Bible - where are you digging right now? What "deep theology" are you "mining"?)

4. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

Thank you for the information about ML. Withen the last year I have started to really search and study the bible. I have found that by reading what others have written about the bible it helps me to see things in a clearer way. Like seeing a sign without my glasses on. I can see it, but not very clearly. [​IMG]

RE: Deeper things of the Bible
    Our quarterly Sunday School lessons are currently on Romans. I am really digging deep in Romans in hopes to be able to transfer what I learn to my class. Which is what made me start reading ML's preface.

I really enjoy ML & will look for his writings that you mentioned.

Thanks,
    Jason

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Right now I am reading the book in the Counterpoints series: Five views on Sanctification. I am only on the Wesleyan view so far. I know I will really grow in reading it.

The next three books on my plate (besides school books) are:
    The Race Set Before Us (I have read parts)
    Brothers, We are not Professionals
    Decision Making and the Will of God

6. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

'Brothers, We are Not Professionals'

I'm reading this one right now. Piper has a lot of good things to say.

'Decision Making and the Will of God'

Helpful book. Another good book on this topic is MacArthur's little work, 'Found, God's Will.'

Rev. G

[ November 08, 2002, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Rev. G ]

7. Carly33

Carly33 New Member

Just finished reading "Under His Wings", by O'Hallesby. In scripture right now I'm taking especial notice of all verses I feel pertain to the calvanist debate. Not leaning that way I'm afraid.

I am finishing Kings, did some epistles...and in Matthew right now.

Some issues that I'm praying and studying through are the matter of Submission(to pastors especially), election, and remarriage.

Heavy duty!!! :eek:

8. wjrighter

wjrighter New Member

to;rev.G
    this may not be deep reading to some but oswald chambers really hits home on my personel walk w/ Jesus-his daily devotions are very today considering i just found out he went to the Lord back in the 1930's hope this helps
    ps.see your from Texas,me too!

9. Carly33

Carly33 New Member

Oswald Chambers is my all time favorite....it hits home every time I read a devotion of his. He had the uncanny ability to touch a nerve.