1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Define: Legalist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rufus_1611, Aug 1, 2007.

1. jim1203

jim1203 New Member
    Site Supporter

legalist believes his views is always right, everyone else is always wrong

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You're wrong about that, and I'm right.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

In the scenarios described, the pastor desires to keep folks away from drunkenness and fornication. Why is this so horribly extra-biblical and legalism?

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Why does the pastor have to involve himself in where people park? Isn't it sufficient to repeat the obvious BIBLICAL message that drunkenness and fornication are wrong?

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It would depend on the context, perhaps he's making a contemporary point to a Biblical principle.

"Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright." - Proverbs 23:31

If we're not to look at it, then perhaps it would be an error to park in front of an establishment that serves it?

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

:laugh: this is exactly the type of legalism we're talking about!

7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Sometimes I wonder if people don't preach out of the Mishnah!

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't think you understand this verse. It doesn't mean not to ever look at wine. It describes how an alcoholic looks at wine, with inappropriate desire.

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I think that depends on who you are. I don't think you can paint with a broad stroke and say that it is error for everyone to park there. Maybe I am misreading what you are saying.

But encouraging folks to not even go there, especially if they are prone to drinking or have suffered from drunkenness in the past I think is wise council and certainly not legalism. But even at that you can not demand that they don't park in such a place only that it would be wise on their part if they didn't. As far as I can tell anyway.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think that's the first sensible thing I've ever read of yours. You must be slipping.

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Well, then it would have to read "A drunkard should not look at alcohol with an inappropriate desire." Instead it reads,

"Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright." - Proverbs 23:31

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No, it reads,

I see that you want a different spin on it by bolding only the part you like. But that's not the whole verse. I highlighted the rest for your benefit, although I doubt it will matter.

13. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

"Legalism" is not a biblical word, therefore it does not have a biblical definition. Therefore it is a weaselism that enables anyone to smear anyone else who believes that something is wrong.

Pipedude's Definition: A legalist is anybody who thinks that something I condone is wrong.

This definition works every time. Try it and see for yourself ...

(... you stinkin' legalists!)

14. tenor

tenor New Member

We actually don't need to preach from it, many people are writing their own.

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The technology changes, but the message remains the same. A few years back, I saw some Christian literature from way back when, and it was warning against telephones, and telling people to avoid them because they could be used to set up adulterous affairs.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I have. All 27 stinking pages of the tripe. BTW, I don't like hip-hop, personally, but find the attitude posted by some re this 'preference' to be abject legalism.

Ed

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I suspect this is the most commonly used definition, particularly around here.

18. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

drunkenness and fornification?

1 - well, how do we get the wine for the communion service? (maybe i shouldn't have said this, but, read on....)

2 - did you ever stop and consider -- there are, what, about a gazillion or two myspace users out there. what percentage are nonbelievers? what better place to reach a gazillion people for the Lord?

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You ever stop to consider -- there are, what, about a gazillion or two strippers and a gazillion squared strip club attendees. What better place to reach a gazillion people for the Lord than going into a strip club?

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Why, when reading this thread, do I suddenly feel a headache coming on?? :BangHead: :tonofbricks:

Any ideas?? :confused:

Ed