1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Define Universalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gregory Perry Sr., Sep 9, 2007.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

An excellent question. I've figured out the answer to it. The U-U church exists to help you discover the champion in you--or is it your best life now?

Well, maybe not. Those two are already taken.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You should run for President of the Great Universal Church. Hey, that would solve your closed/open communion conflict, since everyone is a member.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He already is...and so am I...and so are you...and.... :laugh:

We're all presidents!

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Webdog can be president #1.

I'll be willing to be Minister of Social Justice if I don't have to come to the meetings.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This is probably unnecessary, but I guess we all know that there's a difference between the Universal Church and the Universalist Church.

The former doesn't exist and the latter might as well not.

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Thanks ya'll

To everyone who has made this discussion interesting I say a hearty thanks! The "fatherhood of God,brotherhood of man" crowd is indeed WAY OUT THERE. As to the idea of a universal church,I believe it was Tom Butler who was questioning what its purpose would be as opposed to the clearly scriptural idea of the local church. I personally believe it (the universal church or body of Christ) transcends all the division found in man-created denominationalism and is simply the sum total of the true Body of Christ that will rise in true glory and praise to God at the sound of that trumpet. (1 Thess.4:15-18)This will be ALL of the true believers in Christ. What a glorious day that will be!!!Sadly,many if not all of the (local) churches will still have many in attendance the following Sunday since so many of our local churches are probably filled with false professors these days. Truly,the "wheat" and "chaff" will be seperated on that fateful day. The time is getting short. By the way...RJPrince...good to see you again too!

Greg Perry Sr.:godisgood: :saint:

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

To Tom Butler's most recent post

Bro.Tom...You are only half correct! You are indeed correct that the so-called Universalist Church doesn't truly exist. The UNIVERSAL CHURCH does indeed exist and unlike the local church(and I have great respect for it as a truly Biblical institution),ALL the members of the universal church are TRUE BELIEVERS in the Lord Jesus Christ....sadly we'll never be able to say that about any local assembly.

Respectfully,Greg Perry Sr.:jesus: :saint:

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Greg, I agree with you in part. At the sound of the trumpet, believers will meet Christ in the air, and for the first time since Jesus founded his church, we will be unified into one body. I, too, look forward to being in that great General Assembly in heaven.

If there is a Universal church it is not unified today. In fact, it is totally fractured, with many believers affiliated with churches which teach heresy. If it was the Universal Church to which Jesus gave the Great Commission, it has failed miserably. To say that it transcends the divisions of denominationalism sounds good, but on the face of it cannot be true.

God is saving sinners through many of those denominations and their local churches, even with their flaws. The Universal Church: Zero converts. And I'm aware of many local churches who are quite filled with unity and harmony. The Universal church is definitely not in harmony.

If you, or anyone, can tell me the purpose and function of the Universal Church, I'd appreciate it.

Now, just one other thought. I think you are confusing the church and the kingdom. The kingdom, indeed, is made up of subjects of the king--all believers. Local churches, we agree, are not always. The common error is to hold that the church and the kingdom are the same.

I close this post in agreement with you on this one thing: The King is coming!