1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Definitions: "Orthodox"

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is much confusion over this term (and cognate "Neo-orthodox" and "heterodox").

Keep the "Orthodox" Church (Greek, Armenian, Eastern) out of this discussion, as that is just a title and should not be confused with defintion.

Please share:
    Definitions and practical applications (like what doctrines/people fit in what category).

2. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dean Dictionary of Theology
    Orthodox -

i. holding the apostolic faith which was once delivered to the saints, in the form of sound words, without addition or substraction.

ii. holding to the undivided faith of the primitive, ante-Nicene church.

iii. what Dean says that the bible means [​IMG]

3. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

look at an orthodox jew compared to a non-practicing jew.

non practicing are those who simply say they are of a certian faith despite the fact that they do not attend schul or worship on the sabbath. They do not keep the law in its entirety but claim to be of God's faith.

Orthodox jews on the other hand do not accept (in their minds) anyone as a jew unless they adhere to the doctrines and commands of the faith and practice them faithfully!

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Orthodoxy is "conforming to the Christian faith as formulated in the early eccumenical creeds and confessions". Webster. One does NOT have to be evangelical or even fundamentalist to be ORTHODOX! That is patently false. Those are both sub-groups within orthodox Christianity.

New (neo-) Orthodoxy used the SAME terms as orthodox Christianity (like Trinity, Deity, Salvation, Inspiration) BUT with "new" definitions or meanings to those historic theological terms.

Heterodoxy would be like the United Pentecostals denying the Trinity or the LDS denying the deity of Christ.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I understand heterodox to mean holding to the historic, orthdox faith in essentials (Trinitarian God, atonement, bodily resurrection, deity of Christ) but departing from orthodox beliefs on other doctrinal points that are secondary (but not necessarily insignificant) or having additional extra-biblical teachings that compromise Biblical teachings (the SDA is often spoken of as heterodox).

But this is not a textbook definition. Maybe someone has one? How close am I to the correct meaning?

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I would consider these views heretical. Is that the same as heterodox? If so, I've been misunderstanding the term. :rolleyes:

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Orthodox: What I believe. [​IMG]

Neo-Orthodox: What Karl Barth believes. :(

Heterodox: What other people believe if they disagree with me. :eek:

8. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

heterdoxy is a belief that is contrary to the standard orthodox belef. it is something that is not the accepted norm.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    doxas = giving glory (think doxology)
    homo = same (think homosapien, homosexual)
    hetero = other, different (think heterosexual,
    orthos = straight (think orthodontist, orthopedic)

So herterodoxy is NOT necessarily heresy, but "inclined to heresy" (Webster, New World)

A person might have an unusual doctrine/interpretation that is not ORTHOdox (straight line with the main doctrines) but is not quite up to being stoned or burned at the stake!

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is rather glib and is not how I or other Christians I know see it. I do not say that a person who holds another view than myself is heterodox or heretical. It's whether that view goes against a clear teaching of the Bible (such as being saved by grace through faith, the nature of God and Christ, the atonement, the bodily resurrrection).

So Craig, you do not think there are objective divisions between what is orthodox and heretical? Why would Jesus and Paul warn us about false teachers if they did not expect us to be able to evaluate teachings as to being false or true?

I think this is why we have the Bible -- it gives us the guideline for that. There are things we can disagree on as believers that are not essential to salvation and the nature of God and Christ, but when it comes to those essentials, the Bible makes it clear.