1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Degree- worth the paper?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

I see your point, just going to seminary in no way guarantees a right walk with God. I don't think anyone here has said that. What has been said is that seminary gives the graduate more knowledge than the average Christian. How the use that knowledge is a matter of obedience. On the flip side to your points about Metzger and Erhman I believe that the opposite holds true as well. Look at Osteen, Hinn, and others. What type of Bible education do they have? Not only that but lets look at past false teachers like Charles Russel (JW founder). He had no formal training either. He attempted to teach himself greek and because of his limited knowledge of greek he taught his followers that Jesus is NOT God because he incorrectly translated John 1:1 among other passages.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have no problem with education. However, I don't think people are limited on their spirituality based on their level of formal education. Rather a right heart reading scriptures with out all the historical perspectives, Greek sylistic writings exegetes, etc... and that person may still gain insights and perspectives not readily acknowldege in academia. I don't believe a lack of education prohibits christian growth either. Certainly, there are other insites that may be gained by a more formal education. However, rigidity may also be gained which can be problematic for the maturing believer.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this is the problem with these distinctions. Are those two fifteen-year olds indicative of the "average" layman? Or is the adult who comes to church faithfully every week but not faithful in Bible study the definition of the average layman? Can you count new converts as average laymen, or only those that have been saved for at least a year? Where's the bell curve that identifies new converts who don't count, the "exception to the rules" that don't count, and the "all others in between" that do count?

Further, a teacher or preacher "MUST" have superior knowledge -- but do they stop learning once they receive their seminary degree? I'd hate to be the guy who says I've learned all I can about the Bible, and never get anything out of it again for the next thirty years....

Folks, this is a tiresome topic. Teachers/preachers should never place themselves above the laity, whether it was their intention to do so or not. Unfortunately, arguing that seminary students are better prepared often gives the impression, whether intended or not, that they're above the layman. Laity should never place themselves above the teachers/preachers, whether it was their intention or not. Teachers/preachers, whether you have a seminary degree or not, you're only in front of those laymen by the grace of God, and only for as long as He and/or they allow you to be. Laymen, whoever's up there doing the preaching or teaching, they've done some studying, so give them the respect they deserve -- but you also better be doing your homework to ensure they're teaching/preaching the Bible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.