1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deliver Us From Democrats

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by KenH, Apr 7, 2004.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He should be. [​IMG]

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I'll split the difference here:

Yes, most of what Ann Coulter writes is bilge;

and

McCarthy is a hero.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you at least agree that she looks good writing it. [​IMG]

4. Pennsylvania Jim

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what way was McCarthy a hero? That he finally disgraced his cause because of his constant lies and bullying?

As to the other question: Nope. Anorexic and unstable. Obviously some severe disorders going on there.

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want some real feminine political discourse, check out Molly Ivins or Maureen Dowd.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but I simply cannot stand those two women. :rolleyes:

8. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Intelligent women give a lot of people the willies.

I guess they prefer a cutsey dimwit like Coulter.

No accounting for taste.

BTW, Ken, I wasn't twitting you for changing your mind a few times.

Nothing wrong with that.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I don't dislike those who disagree with me, provided they do so in a reasonable way. I think that it's Coulter who disparages those who disagree with her, and in the most slanderous terms. I can see where you might find her amusing, but she's not truthful. She exagerates faults and demonizes good people. Once you come to see other people as less than human, psychotic behavior results - Jim Crow, civil wars, genocide.

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't find her even amusing, except as a case study in pathological personality. I'm not sure, given the right circumstances, she wouldn't be for "Jim Crow, civil wars, genocide."

That's the real Ann Coulter.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's also the Ann Coulter lashing out in anger over the murder of her good friend, Barbara Olson, by the terrorists on 9/11/01.

I wonder, rsr, what you would have said in that situation? Or what any of us would have said in that awful situation?

12. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I would use my brain first?

I am a writer by trade, and I would never even consider using that kind of language. I consider credibility important.

Just me, I guess.

It's fascinating to me that someone like Coulter finds a national audience for her venomous diatribes. As the Barbarian said, there's no accounting for taste.

13. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    And to get back to another subject, why is McCarthy a hero? William Manchester, in "The Glory and the Dream," pretty much debunked his unfounded hystrionics.

Name one real communist that he outed.

Please.

Or do we have to go into the Roy Cohn thing?

14. Pennsylvania Jim

McCarthy's targets, to my understanding, were all people who were involved in communist subversion. He was amazingly accurate, and was smeared by those with a pro-leftist agenda at a time when communism was a growing threat to the world. In the context of his time, his work was admirable.

15. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I'll have to disagree. McCarthy never actually found a Communist. He had a list, given to him by the FBI, of people purged from sensitive government jobs in the 40s, some of whom were Nazi or communist sympathizers. But he never actually found a communist.

In one case, his intervention in an investigation actually seems to have provided cover for two Soviet spies to escape detection. His accusations against a number of innocent people let the actual spies get away.

16. Pennsylvania Jim

Just an example:

"...I was a representative of the Young Communist League and the Communist party of the United States [at] the meetings of the executive committee of the Communist International, Young Communist International, Moscow," pronounced Paul Crouch during his September 15, 1953 testimony before a closed session of Senator McCarthy’s investigative subcommittee. Crouch’s testimony, contained in the 4,232 pages of recently unsealed transcripts, offered details of a resumé the witness had compiled during 17 years of diligent service to the Soviet Union.

"I was a student and lecturer at the Frunze Military Academy and an honorary officer of the Red Army," continued Crouch. "I was the head of the Communist party’s National Department for Infiltration of the Armed Forces in the United States, national editorial director of the Young Communist League, member of the editorial staff of the Daily Worker, district organizer for the Communist party in Virginia, New York and South Carolina, Tennessee and Utah, member of the district bureau of the Communist party in the Alabama district and the California district, Alameda County organizer, 1941."

Predictably, Crouch’s detailed account of his Communist activities received no attention in media accounts of the recently unsealed transcripts. Nor were media outlets willing to report Crouch’s testimony regarding nuclear scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer, one of the key figures in the U.S. government’s top-secret Manhattan (atomic bomb) Project. Asked by Senator McCarthy, "Is there any doubt in your mind that Oppenheimer was a member of the Communist party?" Crouch replied: "No, sir, none whatever. I met him in a closed meeting of the Communist party in a house which was subsequently found to have been his residence at the time...."

SOURCE

17. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

For what it's worth, an extensive FBI investigation prior to his work on the nuclear bomb, showed no evidence whatever to support the notion that Oppenheimer was a communist.

Subsequent investigations, instigated by a vengeful politician (not McCarthy) again showed no evidence for that claim. But such was the hysteria at the time that a mere accusation was enough. He lost his security clearance.

Oppenheimer was later awarded the Medal of Freedom for his service to America. That hardly makes up for the crimes against him.