1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrats Get what They Deserve

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Jun 30, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Hey, it's hard to keep these scandals straight!! :laugh:

Man, it's sad that we laugh at this garbage now, isn't it? No doubt...neither of the parties have the market cornered on ethics nowadays.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Thanks for the link, so let's run with it...

First it says this at the top of the page...

"These succinct definitions of what is Democracy and what is a Republic was produced by the US Army in 1928, These definitions have been quietly withdrawn since, soon after."

But I did find this explanation to be very enlightening...

"The difference between Republic and Righteous Republic is that in the Republic the Government rules according to the law set up by men, in the Righteous Republic the law is the Law of God. Only in the Righteous Republic it can truly be said "One nation under God" for it is governed under commandments of the only One True God and there is no pluralism of religions."

So I think we have no argument here, we are not a nation who abides by God's law even though we claim to be one nation under God. So clearly we are no Righteous Republic.

But I think the author gets more to the meat of it here...

"Democracy and Republic are often taken as one of the same thing, but there is a fundamental difference. Whilst in both cases the government is elected by the people, in Democracy the majority rules according to their whims, whilst in the Republic the Government rule according to law. This law is framed in the Constitution to limit the power of Government and ensuring some rights and protection to Minorities and individuals."

So I clarify, in a Democracy the majority rules according to whim's. When the Republican's are in charge we cut taxes and buy more defense but when the Democrats are in charge we increase spending and cut defense. Is that law or "whims" of the majority?

Secondly, the reason we have this "law", is to limit government and protect the rights of the minorities and individuals. A law and constitution that was made while minorities were slaves and the "majority" justified enslaving and made second class citizens of the minorities. A government so limited it can buy private companies and soon to raise taxes only on the rich (another set of minorities).

I believe we claim to be a republic and was maybe founded on the theory of being a republic but we haven't come close to getting it right from our inception. If we got it right, Blacks wouldn't have had to march on DC to get equal protection under the law and "super majorities" wouldn't be possible in Congress. If we got it right, we wouldn't be about to tax flatulence from cows and Reagan wouldn't have wasted one dollar on STI (star wars initiative whim).

So you can cling to a hope of what you were taught we "should" be or you can open your eyes and take a look at what we are. I suggest you go back to your civics teacher and let them know the textbook theory and practical application aren't meshing. We are no republic, we are clearly a democracy.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You are right sir, it is sad indeed... :thumbsup:

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

And now back to the OP. Democrats deserve Gutter Mouth and Gutter Mind "what's his name"! Franken I believe!