1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrats Knew About Foley

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Dec 12, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20061212-123555-4731r.htm

Democrats shopped Foley story to papers

By Christina Bellantoni
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    December 12, 2006

Democratic campaign operatives pushed newspapers to write about then-Rep. Mark Foley's e-mails to teenage pages in the hope that a scandal would emerge before the midterm elections, according to a House ethics report.

The findings were bolstered when an aide to Rep. Rahm Emanuel, Illinois Democrat, said the congressman also knew about the e-mails, which were dubbed "inappropriate" by the ethics panel. Mr. Emanuel, who was chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) when Mr. Foley's sex scandal broke in late September, had denied knowledge of the Florida Republican's e-mails.

The House ethics panel, which is formally called the Standards of Official Conduct Committee, Friday released its final probe into Mr. Foley's behavior, scolding Republicans for failing to act on years of troubling signs and naming Democrats who knew about the e-mails.

CNN first reported Saturday that Mr. Emanuel, the incoming chairman of the Democratic caucus, was "informed" but never saw the e-mails that Mr. Foley sent to a former page in the summer of 2005.

An Emanuel aide yesterday confirmed to The Washington Times that DCCC staffer Bill Burton told the congressman about the Foley e-mails in fall 2005. The aide said Mr. Emanuel took no action because the e-mails were mentioned in passing as a "rumor" about Mr. Foley.

On Oct. 8, Mr. Emanuel was put on the spot during his appearance on ABC's "This Week."
    "Did you or your staff know anything about these e-mails or instant messages before they came out?" host George Stephanopoulos asked. Mr. Emanuel interrupted with "No."

2. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

*Y*A*W*N* :sleeping_2:

The Washington Times. That's the Rev. Moon's newspaper, isn't it? Coming from you, that's funny. You wouldn't vote for a politician who doesn't share your spiritual conviction, but you'll read, and rely, on the information in a moonie newspaper.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean you don't believe the story, or just object to the source?

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Carpro,

I am amazed that people would object to the truth as if it coming from satan makes it less true.

Hint:

When Satan says that "Jesus is Lord and the only way to heaven," satan is right.

Any broken clock is right twice a day.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Anyone who knew that Foley was doing the things he was doing should have told following the proper chain of command. When it became clear that the powers that be weren't going to do anything, ANYONE that knew should have made a huge deal out of this.

I don't care who knew. Foley should have been exposed (no pun intended) a long time ago.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS (ABC NEWS) (Off-camera): All week long there have been suggestions by - on talk radio and by Republicans and their allies that this was perhaps a Democratic dirty trick. And I just want to ask you plainly, did you or your staff know anything...

REP RAHM EMANUEL (CHAIR DEMOCRATIC CONGRESSIONAL CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE): No.

STEPHANOPOULOS (Off-camera): About these e-mails or instant messages before they came out?

EMANUEL: George, never saw them. And I'm going to say one thing, let's go through the facts right here.

REP ADAM PUTNAM (CHAIRMAN OF HOUSE REPUBLICAN POLICY COMMITTEE): But were you aware of them? You said you didn't see them.

EMANUEL: Never saw them. Let me just go right through the facts, one Brian Ross, who broke this story on your network said it came from a Republican source. Very unusual to do that. Fact two, the Hill paper said it came from a Republican source. All the Republicans and staff people are coming forward are Republicans. Mark Foley who wrote the e-mails originally at the bottom of this whole problem, Republican. The leadership of the Congress from Tom Reynolds to John Boehner to Speaker Hastert who can't come on this show...

STEPHANOPOULOS (Off-camera): So you were not aware and no involvement?

EMANUEL: No, we never saw them. No involvement and she said not anything, George, and what the fact is this is...

PUTNAM: Was there an awareness?

EMANUEL: No. There's a holy...

PUTNAM: Was there any awareness?

EMANUEL: No. Never saw them. The first time I ever saw these things right here when Brian Ross broke the show and when "The Post" had the story. What you guys want to do is take your dirty laundry and throw it over the fence and try to blame other people for the problems and this is...

Emanuel lied 6 times on national television in less than 2 minutes.

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

That reminds me of that old joke: How do you tell when a politician is lying? His lips are moving.
    In an age that is best known for the politics of personal destruction, what would you expect from the party that does it the best.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

"The aide said Mr. Emanuel took no action because the e-mails were mentioned in passing as a "rumor" about Mr. Foley."

Hearing a rumor in passing about the emails is not seeing them or knowing if there is any substance.

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I don't know, I'll wait until a Republican says something! :tongue3:

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Wayne,

You're kidding, right? How many times has MediaMatters been dismissed as some left-wing group by some on the right side of the political aisle on this board?

And the Rev. Moon has been proclaimed as the messiah, remember?

Hope all is well with you and yours,
    BiR (out in Oklahoma on business)

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Oh, please don't tell it until after the election.

Do you think I am a fool, them Democrats are really smart arn't they?

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

You mean, when the Republican leadership wouldn't do anything about a pedophile hitting on pages in Congress, the democrats went around them, and tipped off the press?

Good on 'em. I would have done the same thing.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems you are continually making rationalizations for liars.

It must be that liberal belief there is no such thing as absolute truth.:tear:

14. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

EMANUEL: Never saw them. While probably disengenious, it probably was true. He didn't "see" it, but knew enough about it to convert concern for an aide, into a political weapon. This is fairly typical sophistry well employed. The Republicans look guilty of failure to address the problem. The Democrats guilty of ignoring the problem except for the political advantage it afforded. They now are trying to deny that they allowed this situation to go on for months, as they devised a plan.

15. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Followup: how about this article from MediaMatters?

http://mediamatters.org/items/200610120005

Hope all is well with you,
    BiR

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Your posts could be worded less offensively if they attacked the argument rather than the person with extremely questionable assertions. For instance, "That seems like a rationalization for his lies" we could debate the argument, but as it is, I am compelled to reply, "Am not! Why are you always accusing people of lying?" And the discussion will spiral down from there

In politics? Pretty much shades of gray with occasional specks of black and white.

17. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

It means both.

The veracity of the article is in question because the source is not known for reliability. It's like WorldNetDaily or the fudged Drudge report, there is an agenda and it has a lot of spin in which the truth gets lost, distorted, or simply can't be found. In this case, all three apply.

#17 Jack Matthews, Dec 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously disengenious , which I believe is a sophicated way to lie.

A good post HC.:thumbs:

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies. Perhaps I could have worded it better, but you should know by now that I'm pretty direct. Both a blessing and a curse.:BangHead:

"A righteous man hateth lying..."

Proverbs 13:5

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are simply wrong.

In todays media world, the truth is where you find it. You are letting your ideology blind you to the truth.