1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Demon possession.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Butterflies4mami, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Butterflies4mami

Butterflies4mami New Member

In light of the thread going about fallen angels/sons of Seth theory, I was wondering how everyone thought on this issue.
    My little sister, not being in a good, sound church since she was saved, has a problem with this and I am trying to explain it to her to the best of my ability. Any help from the more learned of my brethren ;) would be of a great help!
    Here is her question: If telling of the future, reading the stars, etc. is wrong, then how does one explain such people who are well known(& I cannot for the life of me remember the woman's name she always brings up) and use thier "powers" to help people, and say they get thier "powers" from God?
    Here is my answer: #1 Just because one says they are empowered from God, it doesn't mean they are, they could be empowered by Satan.
    #2 Those who can tell in extreme detail things that happened many years before thier time could be possessed by a demon that was witness to that event at that time.
    Also, couldn't people (in some instances, not all)who have extreme mental conditions be plagued by demons?
    Another question- Can someone truely BELIEVE that thier powers are from God and not know they are being used by satan, or does it have to be voluntary? Considering the person is unsaved!
    In Christ,
    Peggy [​IMG]

2. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Give her the following Scriptures, you can only deal with anyone on the subject of demonolgy from these in the Biblical manner.

Leviticus 19:31 Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 20:6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

Deuteronomy 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

1 Samuel 28:3 Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and buried him in Ramah, even in his own city. And Saul had put away those that had familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land.

1 Samuel 28:9 And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die?

2 Kings 21:6 And he made his son pass through the fire, and observed times, and used enchantments, and dealt with familiar spirits and wizards: he wrought much wickedness in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

2 Kings 23:24 Moreover the workers with familiar spirits, and the wizards, and the images, and the idols, and all the abominations that were spied in the land of Judah and in Jerusalem, did Josiah put away, that he might perform the words of the law which were written in the book that Hilkiah the priest found in the house of the LORD.

Isaiah 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

Isaiah 19:3 And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.

Please be extremely careful involving study of this kind, it can lead to being seduced into false theology. I wouldn't suggest anyone to proceed any further into this type of study unless they go into it fully rooted and grounded in their faith and that not without claiming the Blood of Jesus all the way.

There is good reason no one has responded to this topic, it is best avoided, but I didn't want you to feel everyone was uncaring about the situation.

(boy, that might put an end to the theory of fallen angels having marital relations with human women!)

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

That's a good question.

Consider that many of those who claim to have "powers" - make that most of those who claim to have powers have no such thing! What is the "good" that they do anyway? Is is wordly good or something that is good in God's eyes?

Regarding inadvertently being used by Satan...

That happens often. Consider the judgmental "Christian" who says to a lost person that we must be "Church of Christ" or must read only the KJV to be saved. The lost person goes away thinking that all Christians are small-minded judgmental idiots! Is the devil happy when this happens? YES!!

The verses quoted by Quickening Spirit really relate more to necromancy (contacting the dead) than to demon possession. The Hebrew words "ob" and "yidd-oni" are translated as "ghosts/spirits" and "wizards" respectively. Contacting the dead (as Saul did 1 Samuel 28) was practiced often in ancient Mesopotamia and was prohibited in Leviticus 19:31.

The best examples of demon possession we have are those in the NT. It does occur and is frightening!

4. Precepts

Precepts New Member