1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Depression and Suicide

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 26, 2017.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what does this have to do with clinical depression?

2. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I asked for prayer for my son (combat veteran) who lives in Denver. Our favorite "evangelist" suggested he go to the 16th street mall and listen to open air preaching. I informed him that my son is too busy with work and school to waste time doing that. There were a few more posts in there and I mentioned I live in "sin city" (Las Vegas). A mention was made of having open air preachers on the strip, which I think is illegal...and Mr. Evangelist said that people love their sin. I still think that he needs to put the books down, get into the Word, sit under some good teaching and stop going his own way. However, I doubt he will ever humble himself to sit under any spiritual authority other than himself.

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OR THE WAY OF THE MASTER.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops, you said "spiritual authority"

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess that they are anointed as jesus was to preach setting the captive free!

6. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, you know, those people who have actually studied the scriptures, put much time and effort into shepherding a flock, bringing souls to repentance and salvation. Also see accountability partner, someone who will walk the journey with you and keep you from falling into error.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is making less and less sense to me. I'm trying to figure out if @evangelist6589 is advocating a "name it and claim it" kind of theology (i.e., "don't seek medical treatment for medical conditions, but instead if you have enough faith rely on God to heal you" type of thinking).

It has been asserted that Ray Comfort is qualified to treat mental illnesses, but when questioned I've seen no answer yet as to what exactly the man's qualifications are.

8. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found that a combination of the appropriate medication together with Christian counseling is the best solution for me. Actually since I believe my issue was inherited I think medication provided the most benefit. The counseling I've had has been much like talking to an understanding pastor. I think almost everyone could benefit from that. Your question infers that you agree with the SBS taking a stand against Christian Counseling. I don't but there are a number of things I don't agree with them on. My brother was an MDiv student when Mueller took over so I've heard some of the inside perspective.

9. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Same here. I stopped the counseling some time ago however I won't be stopping the meds anytime soon. I have the combination of hereditary issues and life issues also. I have no problem with making an appointment with a counselor if I feel I need to go back to that again, which I might because of the less than wonderful changes that came with my car accident and I just need to find a way to safely vent to someone about it.

10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I would agree with you. Certain conditions require the treatment of medications given by a psychiatrist. However I am against so called Christian Counseling. What is needed for certain conditions is Biblical counseling, however Biblical Counseling addresses sin problems and takes the counselee to the scriptures where he can get healed. This is the type of counseling that Mac encourages and he recommends materials by Jay Adams. I am not a counselor, I am an Evangelist so I am not the expert in Biblical counseling. But as I said Jay Adams has plenty of books.

Christian Counselors try and combine the Bible with Freudian wisdom and this does not work. For more info on why this practice is dangerous get the book "Our Sufficiency in Christ" by Macarthur.

11. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jay Adams...yeah...no. No credentials in psychology or counseling. Someone to avoid at all costs.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only a liberal would make such a statement.

13. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have a lot of nerve. A LOT of nerve. Who do you think you are? What makes you the supposed "expert" on Christian Counseling? I googled that guy and he has NO appropriate credentials to even be TALKING about providing counseling or therapy.

I think you might want to back up and realize that most folks here (including me) have had enough of your self-righteousness. You won't go submit yourself to proper spiritual authority, you fuss and complain that nobody does things "your way". Guess what...again, the Lord said that the last would be first and the first would be last. Stop your open air preaching and get your hands dirty in the Lord's work. That's where the rubber meets the road.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Says the guy that takes a liberal stand on divorce to justify his sin.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

NOW I UNDERSTAND - As Sen John Kerry might say -I was for Christian counseling before I was against it"

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you read Adam's book you will find that it is, in fact, "Christian counseling". It is just a non-traditional approach. And yes, while Adams may make legitimate observations and criticisms of "traditional" psychology/counseling, he does seem to wander into things that are beyond his field of expertise. For example, when he argues against ascribing labels to people in terms of mental disorders because this is unbiblical....if this principle is true then it should extend to other medical conditions as well (diabetes, heart disease, ect.).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not saying that you are stupid, brother. But this has got to be about the stupidest comment that has been posted on this forum in awhile. I would suggest that you deal with the actual comments and not speculate about other people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psychologists and Psychiatrists do not necessarily take a Freudian approach. In fact, I have never and would never see someone who is Freudian. The are some ideas that I have gained that have been very helpful. One is Rational Behavioral Therapy (RBT). It's a very common-sense approach that has helped me get out of difficult situations. One example of RBT is this. If you find yourself repeating subconsciously negative thoughts the best thing to do is to write them down, recognize how nonsensical they are and write down why they aren't real and why. I recently found a paper I did like this 45 years ago and marvelled at how accurate it was and how effective it was to go through that simple exercise!

Another example is really a Biblical suggestion, don't worry about tomorrow.

[Mat 6:30-34 KJV] 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, [shall he] not much more [clothe] you, O ye of little faith? 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day [is] the evil thereof.

A perspective on this is that most of the things we worry about never happen. Another recommended approach is to try to imagine what the worst thing {"they" can do to you. If I lose my job my boss will not line me up against the wall and shot me. It's these kinds of ideas especially those with Biblical support that I have found to be helpful.

I've made it known in the churches I've attended that I've had problems with depression as well as some other physical or emotional problems and welcome people to talk to me about my experiences. I consider this to be a ministry for the glory of God. Incidentally, since I've had a long career (40 years) as an engineer, I also welcome people to come to me for computer advice. I called this my computer ministry! I believe this is exactly the kind of thing the early church did and it helps build the community of faith.

• Like Like x 1
  19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Freudian was one example, and I think another is skinner. The book the Christian Counselors Manual by Jay E. Adams lists several secular approaches that are anti Biblical. My point is that I believe all Christian Counseling to be unbiblical but all Biblical Counseling to be Biblical. Counseling must be rooted in scripture as scripture is the authority. Christian counselors often will combine scripture with secular wisdom and therefore are not biblical, while Biblical counselors rely solely on scripture.

"One example of RBT is this. If you find yourself repeating subconsciously negative thoughts the best thing to do is to write them down, recognize how nonsensical they are and write down why they aren't real and why. "

If you find yourself continually having negative thoughts, the best thing to do is to give it to prayer, start memorizing scripture, and also filling yourself with the word of God. Also some good christian books will help as well.

John

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with this line of thinking is in its application. Do we hold the same true for mental illnesses as we do for other illnesses? Or has God gifted some Christians with the ability to teach coping methods and administer medications to help people with mental illnesses?

I think the latter is true. The Bible is not a science book, or a medical journal. It does not tell people how to mend a broken arm or treat for chemical imbalances. It does not even instruct men how to deal with life situations apart from the help of other people (brothers building up brothers, bearing each other's load).

• Agree Agree x 1