1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Depression and Suicide

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As He ever spoke to you in an audible voice?

2. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm not. I simply believe in the power and reality of God. Actually, I have some more straightforward examples. I'll post them tomorrow.. Ever read the Christian fictional book "Rooms?" It's about this very topic.

3. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my post #77.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I have not read that book. Post more tomorrow I wish to hear what you have to say.

5. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The picture I show as my icon is my 2nd golden retriever, Jessie. I named her after my Dad's mother who I never met because she died 2 months after I was born. Sadly, Jessie died in Feb. of 2016. That hit me hard just as did the death of my first golden. I started thinking about getting another golden (of course!) in Jan or Feb of 2017. I decided this would be another female like the first two. I came up with a name first. I decided I would name her Ellie. My mother's middle name was Eleanor and my grandfather was a big fan of FDR so I'm certain her middle name came from Eleanor Roosevelt. The other thought was Miss Ellie, Andy Griffith's girl friend who worked in the Mayberry Drug store on the Andy Griffith show. I've always loved that show (both the first time in black and white and the reruns).

I was living in NJ at the time I got Jessie and I got her from a breeder in Buffalo, NY. Jessie lived to be 14 1/2 which is great for a large dog so I contacted her first about getting another golden from her. We had a deal but it didn't work out. I had also looked at breeders in GA but hadn't found a dog. I broadened my search to KY, TENN, NC, FLA and ALA. I'm a golden retriever fanatic and was looking for just the right dog. The newer English Creme variety is very popular but I don't like those as much.

Finally, I got in touch with a breeder in NC with a good match. I chose to but Ellie. Where was the breeder? About 30 miles outside Mayberry which is actually Mt. Airy, NC. I had named my new dog 3 months earlier partially because of the connection to Mayberry and then I found her near Mayberry. This may sound trivial but I believe that God was telling me "I've found you a new companion. Why didn't you look in the obvious place first!" I believe that God tells us things in His "still, small voice" but we only receive His messages if we believe fully in Him and listen. Be still and know that I am God.

I have other examples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no objection to God providing a dog for someone.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure that puts His mind at ease.

8. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a surprisingly shallow statement for an evangelist to make. My point is it's comforting to know that the God who created the universe will direct my paths on even small things (although dog lovers understand "A Dog's Purpose"). The name of the female police dog in that movie was Ellie. She was killed in police action agaionst a murderer.

But this communication tells me far more than that. It's best expressed in this great old hymn:

#88 FollowTheWay, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just got a sample for my kindle from Amazon, read that, ordered the book. So far am loving it!!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Christians believe in the power of God, but the Charismatic way goes beyond the scriptures!

11. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you mention this? Are you a charismatic?

12. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a very interesting book. I think it's better than "The Shack." I had some theological issues with "The Shack" and my brother got kicked off their web site for quoting too much scripture.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but was once a teaching Elder in the AOG, so just wanted to make sure that you were not deciding to be one!

14. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, these days I'd prefer to just be called a Christian but I do belong to a Baptist church. I think the things which divide most denominations are much less important than the one thing that unites us.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone is interested the Exit movie is now available on YouTube for FREE viewing, and DVD's have become available to pass the video out to friends and suicides.