1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deputation

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Salty, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a thought that we mind have a forum for our missionaries.
    There are several questions many of us have:
    1. When is your next trip back to the States
    2. How long will you be on deputation?
    3. What general area of the country Will you be in?
    4. What mission board are you with (if requested you can PM that info)
    5. How far would you reasonably travel to speak at a church?

Yes, the purpose of this is to possibly find some churches to support our missionaries.

Salty

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Appreciate the thought here :)

We are trying to limit US trips. I am not sure when we are going or where or how long :).

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Salty. God bless you for your burden for missions!
    Other than a trip to visit my aged mother, we won't go back for furlough probably until 2011.
    Anywhere from six months to a year.
    Most of our supporting churches are in the midwest, from Michigan to Florida by way of Tennessee and the East Coast. :smilewinkgrin: We do have two in Missouri and one in Colorado and two in Texas, though.
    Baptist World Mission
    I note that you are in NY. We have friends in PA and VT, so will no doubt take a trip up that way on our next furlough.
    Hopefully we'll still be in contact by then!

God bless.

John

4. Pastor Jack

Pastor Jack New Member

Money for Missionaries?

#4 Pastor Jack, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Jack, welcome to the Baptist Board.

Please add your website to your Baptist Board profile! :type:

6. Pastor Jack

Pastor Jack New Member

Thank you Brother John! I didn't realize I could put it in. I just did it and here are some extras! God Bless.

http://www.payatasbaptistchurch.org - President of Corp., Pastor and founder of the Church
    http://www.payatasmissionoutreach.org - President 501 3c Non-Profit U.S. Corp.
    http://www.godsgracemedical.org - Vice President
    http://www.escobia225.multiply.com/photos - photo pages
    :godisgood:

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great, brother. Looks like you have a challenging and blessed ministry.

By the way, the missionary who went around getting celebrity autographs certainly wasn't me! Who wants golfer's autographs anyway? (Now if it were baseball players.... :laugh: )

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Not a mission board fan."

"What do you think? If you come from a large Church or a Church that can convince other Churches to take you on, then you get a pension, medical, salary, vacation... If not, you don't get those things."

Seems to me that the mission boards I'm aquainted with supply some of these items - maybe boards aren't all that bad :thumbs:

"I would have rather had McDonald's and talked shop"

Now we know you are spiritual, you know the great places to eat :laugh:

"I have been trying to figure out how to get people who say they are mission hearted (not just minded) to see my website and all the good God has done and then say, "Let's get behind this guy"."

McD's AND mission hearted people - you do ask for a lot :laugh:

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

we will be going on deputation in the next few months, starting after my husband gets back from his survey trip in November. (yay!)

We will be booking meetings as we get them after that, I believe.

We are with FBMI

First we will be travelling within a 200 to 250 mile radius from the Milwaukee, WI area. As we are just starting out, though, if we get an invitation to go further I'm sure we'd do it.

:godisgood:

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have inside information that Pete :applause: ( http://www.baptistboard.com/member.php?u=6241 ) will invite you to his church!:thumbs: Do you think you can make it?
    BTW, what field do you plan on going to?

Salty

PS Pete can get you a free taxi ride to the church :saint:

11. Pastor Jack

Pastor Jack New Member

I have been here one year this past July and have not come up with a better definition of this ministry than you did. Challenging & Blessed! I like that.

12. Pastor Jack

Pastor Jack New Member

I will comment on both statements. Anything the mission board provides is paid for by the supporters of the missionary. The problem is, the mission board would have told me that: I am too old to go, I am 54. Too sick to go, I was on 9 pills a day -see my updates to see how God took that problem away. I am now on 0 pills a day and lost 40#s-Too ugly to go (nah, only kidding) Then if they did pass me they would tell me that I have to raise $4,500-$6,000.00 a month support. I am hoping that is a close guess. They certainly would not have sent me with the $550 per month that we left the Country with.
    They would want us to have medical, dental, insurance, pension, reserve fund, blah, blah, & blah. And of absolute requirement, the 10-15% of funds to support their ministry.
    Well now, if there job is to get me on the mission field, why are they only looking for young, healthy men who can raise their own support?
    I know there is a lot more involved than that but c'mon, the Lord called me to serve and if I waited for someone to justify that calling by money, I would never have seen God work the way he has.

2nd comment. McDonalds. I am sorry you brought that up and so now I am hungry. McDonalds cost 110 pesos for the Big Mac meal. You now need to come here and spring for the meal! Don't worry though, the wife does not care for McD and we can leave the kids with her.:praying:

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We only pay 5.5% of our budget to the board, and that pays for some great things they do for us.

But I entirely respect that if God called you at your age and condition, you did go.

14. Pastor Jack

Pastor Jack New Member

5%

Hey Jon,
    I think you found one of the "good" boards. That's not much money and if they are doing things for you also...you got a good one.
    I just can't see some of these boards with these executive salaries and expense accounts while I sit here trying to figure out how to pay the bills with only $310 that came in for September and $100+ that has so far came in for October.
    Do you have a webpage?

#14 Pastor Jack, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007
  15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do thank the Lord for our board. Our website is: www.johnofjapan.org.

God bless!

16. Pastor Jack

Pastor Jack New Member

Good Ol' Boys

By the way, my real name is John but they all call me Jack.

Anyway, wow! Now I know why you have a good board. They are from Alabamy! And you are from Tenn.! You are all good ol' boys. Good ol' boys in Japan is a funny as a Brooklyn guy in the Philippines! God has a sense of humor.

My mom's side are all from the South and I lived in SC for about 5 years and loved every minute of it.

You have some wonderful testimonies and if I had a board that introduced me to my wife I would sing their praises also. And only 5%?????? I would start advertising for them. :laugh:

Also, the story of you and your wife coming up with the same date was certainly assurance that God was in it all the way.

You have a great site and may God bless your ministry beyond your thoughts.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

ummm, I'm totally confused now, Salty....Pete's in Australia and you're mentioning him to me because...........??

We are going to Japan.....probably not the same area as John of Japan, though we do hope to meet him and his wife someday there. :praying:

Pastor Jack, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with some of the mission boards now - at least the ones in IFBdom. Ours does not take any support from us, they are totally supported by churches. Any salaries they receive are paid for either by their own deputation efforts, or by the church that runs the board.
    More and more mission boards that I've seen lately are doing things like this and what JoJ described.

They are just a help-tool for us, though, so I don't feel anyone should feel pressure to use a board.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pete is going to see if his taxi floats and needs some volunteers to help paddle:laugh: if it works:praying: ; he will give you a free trip :applause:

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

ya know, Salty, maybe I'm being oversensitive, but I feel as if I ought to be offended by your comments.........

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the good words, Brother Jack. Yes, we have a great mission board. I have to run. We're right in the middle of moving to a cheaper place close to us.