1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Derek Jeter: Just How Good?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Apr 10, 2008.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This sort of spills over from the 'Opening Day' talk. We've discussed his HOF merits before, but I have a different question - sort of.

There seems to be two opinions concerning Jeter. One is that his ability is magnified because he wears pinstripes, has had one or two memorable hits/plays, and dates some pretty attractive women (and is considered attractive himself). IOW, he gets a lot of pub for his pinstripes. If he were a Royal or a Diamondback, he'd be a good player but get comparatively little press.

The other side typically says that Jeter is great, regardless. He is so great, that if he were a Royal or D-Back, he'd be magnified even more so because he would stand out from his players. His greatness is diminished because he is part of a great team.

What say you?

And could we make this same argument for a great many players?
    Well, more on that later...let's talk about Jeter now.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I stand on the side that says Jeter is great regardless, but I don't agree with the rest of the paragraph. Right now, the soon to be 34 year old Jeter is, at best, the 5th best shortstop in the league. He would still be the 5th best shortstop in the league if he played for KC.

Is Alex Rodriguez's greatness diminished because Jeter or Posada or Rivera is on his team? No. Same with Jeter being on the same team with A-Rod.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

When talking about 'greatness' as a matter of perception, then there is no doubt that Jeter is helped by playing for the Yankees. But I agree with cc that Jeter would still be the same very good player if he played for the Royals.

Here's a direct example of Yankee bias on 'greatness': If Roger Maris never played for the Yanks, and had hit 61 homers with the Kansas City A's, there would be nary a peep about him deserving to be in the Hall of Fame. The only reason he is ever given Hall consideration is because he wore the pinstripes.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think Jeter is a great player and would be no matter what team he played for.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

there was talk in NY that Jeter can no longer play short, that he is a defensive liability. They were talking of moving him to the OF.

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Keep in mind Alex was great before he came to New York. I still think that Alex is a better ss than Jeter. I think Jeter is a good to a very good ss but being in NY has helped him much in my book.

Someone brought up Maris, he shouldn't be in the HF, he wasn't a great player, had a few great or good years in NY.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

But there is a perception that some great players are given less credit because they are surrounded by great players. I don't agree with it, but it's very real.