1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

determining the will

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by John3v36, Jun 14, 2004.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Beyond those things obviously known in the Bible as the will of God, what are your thoughts on determining the will of God in specific situations; i.e - who to marry, what mission field to choose, what job to take, etc.

No schema here - merely would like to gather some points of view.

[​IMG]

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I have found that the surest way for me to discover the will of God in extra-biblical things is to be actively doing the will of God in what His Word declares.

Bro Tony

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent, Tony. Obey what IS clearly taught. Then God may "lead" you through burdening your heart or giving subjective moving of your spirit.

And God gives us brains! (Well, some of us. Have some doubts in the Versions forum . . ) where we can make some decisions based on logic and judgment. Not to counter "faith", but to evaluate and "count the cost" before we make decisions.

Think Jesus talked a time or two about this concept!

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Determining the will of God for my life" is often a slothful obsession. We can do what we want to do as long as it is not illegal, unscriptural, or stupid.

5. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Yes, excellent point:
    "In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:6)

6. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Alcott, for some reason I am uncomfortable with your post. "We can do what we want..." We are bought with a price and no longer our own. Now as to what we will wear today, or what we will have for breakfast, common sense comes in to play here; But on major decisions, can we leave the Lord out of it?

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Agreed!

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Nope!

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yyyyyeeeeuuuuupppp!!

10. superdave

superdave New Member

I understand the sentiment

God's decreed will is not something I need to concern myself with.

I follow the guidelines of scripture, obeying the commands and principles of the Word. And I use those resources along with my own intelligence and reasoning abilities to make hopefully wise decisions.

Finding God's will is not a mystical, or magical process, many people want to see the writing on the wall.

At the same time, I would add a caveat to the statement of Alcott.

I can do what I want as long as the goals and purposes of my life are all directed toward the glorification of God.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Romans 12:1-2 Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service.
    2 Don't be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God.

Can you prove what is the will of God for your life?
    You should be able to. Perhaps it is worldliness that stands in the way. I elaborated on these verses in another thread, so I won't here.
    DHK

12. superdave

superdave New Member

This is talking about patterning your life after the Word. If your life is committed to pleasing God, your desires will be in line with God's, consequently, you can do whatever you want, since it will be consistent with the mind of God. Perhaps my post was not clear enough.

If you follow the guidance of Romans 12:1-2, you will be living your life to please and honor God, in everything that you do.

Once again, there is nothing mystical or magical about finding the will of God.

Too many people think prayer is just the ultimate miss cleo psychic hotline

13. MTA

MTA New Member

God never saved us to simply drift through life. We are to seek God's will for our life and obediently follow His will throughout our life.
    We cannot be obedient to Scripture without seeking the perfect will of God.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obey scripture and you will have done the "perfect will of God." In reality, we do not obey perfectly and therefore being in any perfect will is never attained. It's not that complicated, so that is why I refuse to become obsessed with the idea.

15. MTA

MTA New Member

God's will is "perfect" yet, I concede that we fall very short on most counts. However it is still our responsibility to seek God's perfect will for our life and commit our service to what is revealed.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, put some meat on that bone. What do you do? Get up and pray, "Lord, do you want me to put my right sock or left sock on first?"..."Do you want me to brush my teeth or wash my face first?" If He has a PERFECT will it must be one or the other of such things. Or do you make logical decisions, or even random decisions if it makes no difference? and then consider scripture in the subjects it teaches, not sweat it as to what it says nothing about?

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

What will are some of you proposing that you are in if you aren't in the perfect will?

18. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

In my experince I find I have a nagging pull to do something specific. And I find if i do not listen, It gets stronger, and stronger until i can bear it no longer. Then, I jump, run whatever I have to do to go in that direction.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you would be a good candidate to carry the Olypmic torch.

20. MTA

MTA New Member

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

We are not robots and God has given us the capacity to commune with Him as His children. We have Scripture to teach us and the Holy Spirit to guide us. Yes, God is an ever-present influence in everything we do, if we allow Him to be. Of course He gave us the capacity to discern right and wrong, but it is always appropriate to ask for the Lord's guidance and that everything we do might be done in His will. That should be our heart's desire, not a burden.