1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Detroit Tiger, Mark Fidrych passes away

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Apr 14, 2009.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/tributes/obit_mark_fidrych.jsp

So sad. Fidrych is my earliest memory of baseball. His 1976 rookie season was incredible. I was 6 years old then, and I first started paying attention to the game and this funny character that my dad was watching and listening to.

#1 Andy T., Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Fidrych was fun to watch. Very sad news.

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

The first time I heard of this guy, my first boss here at my current company who was from MI told me stories about this pitcher, she couldn't remember his name would talk to the ball, stomp around, and other crazy antics and she would tell me how crazy he was, I never even heard of him before. On mute I saw it last night and new exactly who he was, he seemed like quite the character, something a lot of players lack, personality.

Bring back the "shoe on fire" "gum on hat" "headlock face pounding" routines......

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember the guy. Looking at his career stats confirmed my memory that he had that one good year, his rookie year-- and even it was less 'great' than I remembered, and he was rarely seen for the next few years, then out after 5. Wasn't he something like a more recent version of Rube Waddell, a virtual psychotic who had some extraordinary ability, but his inability to commit to a disciplined routine ruined his career and eventually his life? Sorry if that wasn't the case, and maybe he just had misfortune with injuries.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Alcott, you aren't remembering correctly. Fidrych hurt his knee in Spring Training 1977 while shagging fly balls. That cost him most of the '77 season. When he tried to come back, he hurt his shoulder probably because his knee injury altered his delivery. And after he quit baseball, he ended up having a very happy life with a big family and a small business in MA. He owned a farm and trucking business. In fact, he died while working on one of his trucks - it fell on him apparently. Fidrych was a regular guy who connected with the fans by the way he played the game with his quirky joy.

And his 1976 season was one of the more dominant rookie seasons in history. The '76 Tigers were pretty bad - he lost a lot of close games; otherwise his record may have been something like 24-4. He led the league in ERA and complete games with 24! He was a ground ball pitcher with great control and movement - comparable to a G. Maddux.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Bird was more of a personality than he was a great player. '76 was unbelievable. After that he made 26 appearances and went 10-10. Sad loss though.

7. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I remember Mark Fidych when I was kid age same as Andy T. was. He was so funny when he talked with ball before pitching.

But, he have been injuries spent much of his career with Tigers. So, not much to watch him do pitching. I wish that he would have been health, and might have a great career record with Tigers for many years. He could have win 200 game swith Tigers by the time he retires. But injuries cut his career short. I miss him.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!