1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deut. 6 & Homeschooling

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by Pastor David, Dec 22, 2011.

1. sunniemom

sunniemom New Member
    Site Supporter

Sure- children may 'witness' in the sense that they will repeat what they hear, and if they hear the Gospel at home, they will repeat it. This is not really what Mtt. 28 is teaching, though. I'm not opposed to kids repeating the Gospel even if they don't understand what they are saying, but at that age, I don't believe children are ready to deal with the complexities and challenges of the average public school.

I agree that the age/grade system is a serious problem. Promoting by ability would make much more sense. But since when has a gov't program made sense?

It is too bad that the media don't portray more positive aspects of the average homeschooling family. But the media thrive on drama and conflict, and are not a good source of accurate information. I'll grant that what I know is anecdotal, but I've homeschooled in WV and OH for almost 20 years, and I have yet to meet or even hear about a truly 'isolationist' family. I have met families that own farms and thus live in rural areas, but that isn't purposefully isolationist.

That's why I asked 'how much' witnessing is 'enough'. For instance, I care for my mother, who suffers from Alzheimers. I don't get to 'go out and witness' very much. Am I forsaking the command to spread the Gospel? I don't think so, because I am being obedient to honor and care for my widowed mother. That's pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father, KWIM? And it is of itself a witness in this day and age of parking elderly parents into the nearest facility the minute they need Depends.

The reason that I pointed out some Biblical principles of 'sending missionaries' is the Biblical arguments and language you've used previously in this thread. If we are going to say that kids need to be in public schools to fulfill the Great Commission, we need to ask ourselves about how to properly obey that passage- WHO was commanded to go, and HOW they were to go about it. There was a definite pattern in Scripture for Christians in active mission work.

If we are going to talk patterns, then there is also a pattern of parental responsibility and involvement in a child's upbringing. I not only believe in quality time, but in quantity time. I don't think the math supports the current public school dynamic as being a more Scriptural option to ensure a child's spiritual, mental, and emotional well-being.

But- if we are simply saying that parents should teach discernment to their children, then OK. Parents should teach discernment. If we are saying that as children become regenerate they should be discipled in how to be a courageous witness, then I agree with that as well. But those are not homeschooling issues.

IMO what should be taking place is more intensive discipleship of parents in our churches. The family is separated as soon as you get to the door, children are kept entertained and out of the way. Kids are often spoken of as if they are annoying little inconveniences instead of 'blessings', and 'rewards' and 'arrows'. For years I have heard parents talk about how much the love sending their kids to school, dreading the summer when the kids are home, and how grateful they are for the yellow school bus that shows up every day. Can you imagine what it must be like for a child to hear their mother say "You homeschool? You must be a saint! I couldn't stand to be with my kids every day!" But that has happened IN CHURCH more times than I can count. That is where the true shame is, IMO.

2. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

This is one of those areas where it is a "both/and" not an "either/or." The school is an extension of the home and its values.

3. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Back to Deu 6

Getting back to Deu 6, that is the key around which this article focuses. Though it is about television and children there are relevant points that apply to schooling. This was distributed by Dr. Moore's homeschooling program some years back. And Elizabeth Elliot used it as the format on one of her radio programs. Your Child and Your Tv, here:

http://sdcougar.startlogic.com/blog/?p=44