1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Eladar, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Eladar

Eladar New Member

In other words, God's truth, as found in the Bible, is determined by culture.

Am I correct in understanding your point of view?

2. CalvinG

CalvinG New Member

That is not my viewpoint.

Culture does not determine the meaning of the Bible. At least it shouldn't. There are probably instances in which people rely on their culture rather than the Holy Spirit to interpret the Bible. Such I believe to be the error of denominations who would presume to "marry" practicing homosexuals or who would ignore God's view of homosexual practice and elevate a practicing homosexual to the position of overseer in their church.

My viewpoint is that God gave the Jews of the time so much of His Truth as He in His omniscience believed they would be able to accept, given their culture.

In Matt 19:8-9, Jesus states, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery.

3. Eladar

Eladar New Member

That is saying pretty much what I said earlier. According to this theory, nothing in the Bible can be taken at face value. It could simply be seen as God's dealing with a hard hearted population.

To tell you the truth, I believe that God's people would practice God's truth no matter what.
    And yet it is still permitted. Jesus did not say that what Moses wrote was no longer valid. It is still legal.

Either that or there is no such thing as a Christian denomination that practices this command. Try to find a church that doesn't have divorced people in it who have remarried.

4. CalvinG

CalvinG New Member

You said,

Remarriage after divorce is adultery. Adultery is a sin. So is theft. So is coveting my neighbor's wife or anything that is my neighbor's. There are plenty of sinners in churches everywhere. I'm one of them.

I haven't married and divorced specifically, but anyone who is guilty of one sin is guilty of them all. And I have certainly sinned.

Another interesting question here is whether divorce/remarriage is a sin of "ongoing adultery" so long as you continue to "know" your second wife if you did not divorce your first wife for marital unfaithfulness (according to the standard set forth in Matthew).

If it is the person without sin who is to throw the first stone in cases of adultery, I am not qualified to throw that stone.

CalvinG

5. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I guess 1 Corinthians 5 means nothing to you.

At least I know your point of view. Thanks!

6. Eladar

Eladar New Member

There is no doubt about that.

7. MikeS

MikeS New Member

God could have commanded that she still be considered a virgin. Or perhaps God could have commanded the man to support her for the rest of her life and to be forced to marry her if she wanted it.

I don't see the need to force the marriage.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Your first idea is just pie in the sky. It's one thing for the law to command what one should do, but quite another to command what one should think.

And as far as your second solution, it means that the man can never repent and have a family (assuming he can't support two women) and the woman can never have a family (she's still "damaged goods" in that culture). By forcing them to marry (and when, in that culture, did women get to choose whom they married, anyway?) there was at least a chance of salvaging an intact home and family out of the crime.

I admit, on first reading our 21st century minds revolt, but after getting past that it's not obviously the wrong solution for that time and place.

8. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I don't know. People believe that homosexuality is wrong simply because the Bible says it is.

9. CalvinG

CalvinG New Member

Elandor said

Not exactly. To expel the immoral brother, one must first know that his actions are immoral. I don't think it is general practice to inquire as to the nature of one's divorce when a remarried person joins the church. At least it isn't in my church. If the first divorce was on grounds of adultery, the divorced person would be allowed to remarry according to the standard stated in Matthew.

There aren't trials for adultery anymore in this "advanced" culture of no-fault divorces. So how is the church to know?

10. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Why not ask?

I'm pretty sure that people who do not fit the biblical model would move on once they experience for themselves the judgemental people that make up that church.

11. MikeS

MikeS New Member

I don't know. People believe that homosexuality is wrong simply because the Bible says it is. </font>[/QUOTE]You mean homosexuality meets with universal approval in the non-Christian world?

12. Eladar

Eladar New Member

No, I mean those who are God's. The Bible is meant for these people, not the general population.

Those who are God's will follow His will no matter what. Those are the only people who will live for all eternity.

I don't see why God would try to appease the dead which would result in a lie to the living.

13. MikeS

MikeS New Member

No, I mean those who are God's. The Bible is meant for these people, not the general population.
    </font>[/QUOTE]My point was that non-Christian societies also believe homosexuality is wrong, even though they know nothing of the biblical proscription.

How did I get this far into this thread anyway?! :eek: