1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Devil’s Broom: The Fire That Inspired a National Network of Lookout Towers

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by kyredneck, Aug 17, 2018.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...The Great Fire of 1910 is believed to be the largest fire in US history, earning it nicknames including the “Big Burn,” the “Big Blowup” and the “Devil’s Broom Fire.” It swept through millions of acres in northwestern states including Washington, Idaho and Montana. Ships that were hundreds of miles out at sea had trouble navigating due to the haze. People as far east as New York reported seeing smoke. Close to a hundred people died in the fire, including some firefighters...."
    Devil's Broom: The Fire That Inspired a National Network of Lookout Towers - 99% Invisible

(interesting photos, some of lookout towers which interests me because there was a lookout tower we used to climb and hang out in not far from where I grew up, view was spectacular)

#1 kyredneck, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing and informative.

We are currently having many wildfires here in the Pacific Northwest. Drought this year.
    One went on by my house just south of it missing us completely.

Some one greatly hindered the fire fighting effort by flying a camera drone which caused the choppers to be diverted from the lake from which they were taking water for the fire.

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of those towers is 1/2 mile from my house. I guess I have climbed it a couple thousand times in my life.