1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Devils or Demons?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another set of words in contrast in English translations of God's Word are "devils" and "demons". Lots of confusion.

How do you handle this? Do you change the word "devils" to "demons" when you preach or teach to be sure that there is no confusion between THE devil (Satan, a fallen cherub) and myriad demons (different set of spirit beings)?

Thanks for ideas. When preaching from the KJV1769 revision, I never read "devils" and just automatically "update" the language.

2. Forever settled in heaven

ah, but i believe there ain't no such confusion in MVs. [​IMG]

but do u read "cherubims"? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a pretty dramatic overstatement to say that the difference between "devils" and "demons" causes "lots of confusion."

Devil, meaning a demon, is used in many ways in the common vernacular, such as in "dust devils," or when you call someone a "little devil." Most people I know don't mistake a dust devil as being THE dust devil, and when I was called a "little devil" when I was a kid, people didn't think I was being referred to as "THE little devil." When one says "a devil" or says "many devils," I believe most people would realize we were talking about demons.

Just an interesting side-note. I have heard a KJVO really stretching the point that the word "devil" is correct, and "demon" is incorrect, and that is one of the reasons the MVs are inferior. I can't remember the reason why this was, but I know that he thought of them as two different entities.

Jason

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hyperbole is a gift! Ugly, but someone has to do it. :rolleyes:

It garners attention to a very real issue.

5. Haruo

Haruo New Member

ah, but i believe there ain't no such confusion in MVs. [​IMG]

but do u read "cherubims"? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I routinely elide the redundant "-s", i.e. read "cherubim", which is plural as it stands.

Haruo

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always use "seraphs" and cherubs". Make the English plural, rather than the Hebrew.

BTW, they are pronouced

saw-rawfs

and

care-rubs

I always try to explain that to folks before we sing "Holy Holy Holy" so we actually use the words God did.

(Also help to teach a little when we sing, "Guide Me, O Thou Great ha-Yahweh"

7. Forever settled in heaven

no, u don't, Doc! :rolleyes: [​IMG]

that reminds me of eye-reading in Heb class--u see one word n out of ur mouth comes another.

no thanks! i guess even i can be kinda traditionalist at times [​IMG]

8. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "hyperbole is a gift."

I'll use that next time someone tells me I'm being too emotional or dramatic. :D

Jason