1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Devin Hester: Greatest KR of all Time?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Nov 27, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The numbers are quite amazing for a 2nd year player:

12: Number of total returns for touchdowns Hester has achieved in two seasons, including a 92-yard kickoff return for a score in last year's Super Bowl and a 108-yard missed field goal return for a TD last season against the Giants

10: Number of regular-season kick returns for touchdowns, a team record and three shy of tying the all-time record held by Brian Mitchell. Hester stands fourth on the all-time list behind Mitchell (13), Dante Hall (12) and Eric Metcalf (12).

131: Hester's total punt and kickoff returns (27 games).

1,070: Mitchell's total career returns (223 games).

14.1: Hester's average punt return, 3.3 yards better than Mitchell's.

25.5: Hester's average kickoff return, 2.4 yards better than Mitchell's.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's the best I've ever seen. I'm just amazed that any team still kicks the ball anywhere near him

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

He is turning into the "Barry Bonds" of the NFL, minus the steriods. Everyone is afraid to kick to him, and those that aren't quickly learn why the others are. He is good.

4. PastorSBC1303

I think it is the egos of the coaches and the players. Everyone thinks they can stop him. I watched a show on ESPN not too long ago about about last year's Superbowl. Tony Dungy said that they had determined during the week they were not going to kick to him. Yet before kickoff the special team players were all jacked up and thought they could stop to him and asked the coach to let them kick to him so they could prove it. Dungy decided to give them one chance to prove it, and well we know what happened, Hester returned it for a touchdown.

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being an avid Bears fan, perhaps I am a bit biased. I believe he is arguably the best in the game. I would, however, like to see him take better care of the ball. He is averaging a fumble every other game.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think Joshua Cribbs would have something to say about that :)

7. PastorSBC1303

lol thats funny web

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hester is really fun to watch. I saw him play at Miami. Once he caught the kickoff in the end zone and just stood there. All of the opposing players assumed that he was taking a knee -- they slowed down and some began running off to their sideline.

Then... he took off. I think he made it to the other 30 yard line before the other team finally woke up and caught him.

9. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is leading the league in average yards per kickoff return, but he's no Hester.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're right...he's also a punt returner, wide receiver, leading the team in tackles on special teams, and is a QB. He's more valuable than Hester (hence the 6 year extension he signed...unprecedented for any special teamer besides the snapper, kicker or punter). Given time, he will be better, IMO. Just look at the punt return in the Baltimore game where he carried 6 Ravens another 10 yards on his back to set up the controversial Dawson kick. The guy has incredible heart besides ability. I'd take him straight up over Hester any day.

#10 webdog, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007
  11. PastorSBC1303

No doubt Cribbs is having a great year, that return vs. Baltimore was pretty amazing. Other than Hester there is no one else I would rather have returning kicks.

There is talk of an extension for Hester as well. I do not think you can aruge that Cribbs is more valueable to the Browns than Hester is to the Bears. The number of TDs Hester has in just 2 years is simply amazing. Hester also returns punts and plays WR. Perhaps Cribbs is just as valueable as Hester, but I do not think he is more valueable.

12. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hester has twice as many PR yards this season as Cribbs has in his career.

He's had 1 catch for 7 yards in 11 games this season, while Hester's had 8 catches for 143 yards.

No question he's better in this area.

He has 1 unsuccessful attempt in his career; not hardly a QB.

I don't think anyone outside of Cleveland would agree with you.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is Cribbs' first year returning punts full time. Northcutt was the punt returner prior to this year.

Cribbs has double the return yards on kickoffs...and less fumbles :)

Hester's combined kickoff and punt yardage through 11 games: 1300 yards and 5 TD, 6 fumbles
    Cribbs' combined kickoff and punt yardage through 11 games: 1730 yards and 2 TD, 1 fumble

Combined yards from scrimmage:
    Hester 1400 yards
    Cribbs 1800 yards
    I give Hester that...but Cribbs is the 5th option on the Browns' high powered offense behind Edwards, Winslow, Jurevicius and Carter.
    He has 56 yards rushing from the qb (and some from the wr) position (8 yard average). How many rushing yards does Hester have? (hint: there is a "-" before the number) :D
    That's not really a good argument considering the Browns have been horrible the past 8 years and the Bears are coming off the biggest PR stage in the world...the Super Bowl. Give it a couple winning seasons (and pro bowls for Cribbs).
    Without Cribbs, the Browns are probably 4 - 7 instead of 7 - 4. Hester hasn't really impacted the Bears' wins and losses nearly the same.

#13 webdog, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007
  14. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is having a good season no doubt. However, he's only 1 yard better for career KO returns. Fumbles are an issue, I agree.

-10 this year. He's not a back by any stretch of the imagination.

Perhaps. We'll have to wait and see.

15. PastorSBC1303

I agree the fumbles are an issue. However, to be fair, he has only lost one of those fumbles this year. So he is not hurting the team as much as it might appear.

There is no way you can really make this claim. How can you prove that a Cribbs makes the difference in 3 games? A bigger factor for the Browns has been the rebirth of their offense with Anderson, Edwards, Winslow, etc. That is more why they are 7-4 instead of 4-7 IMO.

Now Hester has almost single handedly won a couple games for the Bears with the win against the Broncos being a perfect example of that. If he does not return those 2 kicks for TDs, the Bears do not win.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, Cribbs has made the difference in all of the games, not just 3. His contributions were even in the games they lost close (Oakland, Pittsburgh), albeit losses don't count. The Browns lead the league in starting field position for a reason.

17. PastorSBC1303

That very well maybe. However, there is no way to prove that is the reason for the Browns being 7-4 as opposed to 4-7.