1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dichotomy or Trichotomy?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok, I deleted my post by accident: Here are what I already have copied but I don't remember everything I put in it (added for clarification) orginally.

They are interchangable since they are the same in essence and being but they are also scripturally distinct one from another.

Now about the Soul and Spirit:
    Though we see a distinction in scriptures concerning the spirit and soul we can also see that they are both facets of the same being (or being the equated as the same) and therefore can be used interchangably when speaking of the person as a whole in/or doing an action based upon certain or specific types of motivation (intelect or a being of emotion)
    NOTE - Emotion here is not a negitive (as is an emotional responce) but a discriptor of the charactor AND OR a final reason for an action. EXAMPLE: Jesus pour out His life [being] for our sakes to the salvation of the soul. Jesus did this because His choice was based on His charactor [love] and that determind it's final action (and since He was sinless He didn't have to argue with himself )

Heart: is most often associated with the soul since it is the core of our desire and the large concept of all of the facets of mans immaterial nature. This is synonymous with the physical center of life and our spiritual core also regarding life.

Mind: The mind is the facet of mans immaterial nature where understanding is centered. This is also synonymous with the physical mental center of intellect and our spiritual faculty with regard to understanding and insight and can be hindered (darkened or dead to truth) or grow (enlightened or made alive with truth now understood.)

Some of the above is from Ryrie's study bible on the doctrine of Man and well as my own thoughts.

#21 Allan, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also think that 80% of the time ( or more )the words heart and mind refer to the same thing i.e. they are interchangeable.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

No question, and I agree but we must also remember that there is also a distinction between them as well. They work in together and thus 80% of the time are seen as one and the same because it takes both for that particular action. However there is the 20% (or so) of the time where they are spoken of distinctly.

Thus like the spirit and soul. They work together and thus are and can be spoken of as one and the same relating to the total being at work but they are also spoken of as distinct.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Trichotomy!
    Scripture makes a distinction between the soul and spirit, of the 'immaterial' part of man, so I will do the same. The fact that we, on our own, cannot make this 'division', doesn't mean that the Word of God cannot, for it in fact, does.

BTW, to correct some often used language, I do not have a soul, nor do I have a spirit. Rather, I are both of the above, currently 'tabernacling' in a temporal body. The day will surely come, when I shall put off this temporal body, for the purpose of to receive a permanent 'resurrection' body of immortality, and of the same sort as Jesus had after His resurrection. Amen! :thumbs:

Ed

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 1:47 : How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior!

6. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

See here for the whole article - it is thorough.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

That is not exactly what I was looking for though it is a good one, thank you.
    This is more like what I was refering to:
    or

8. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

1 Corinthians 5:5
    I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

That is more what I was looking for. Thank you.
    But.. in context.. is this refering to them getting saved/savlation?

#29 Allan, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  10. Allan

Allan Active Member

This question I posed was more for my personal curiousity than a direct challange. I appreciate the two passages presented. I had not found any that I could think of relating to the spirit but I figured there should be something since both aspects are seen as the whole of man and salvation encompasses both. Again I appreciate it.

#30 Allan, Jun 24, 2008
  11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    References Are From The HCSB

Psalm 35:3 : Draw the spear and javelin against my pursuers, and assure me:"I am your deliverance."

Psalm 62:1 : I am at rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

Those verses have no soul.

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

They do just not in the texts yours was tranlated from as seen here:

There appears to be lots of soul brother, lots of soul :)

#32 Allan, Jun 24, 2008
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    References Are From The Net Bible

Ps. 35:3 : Use your spear and lance against those who chase me! Assure me with these words :"I am your deliverer!"

Ps. 62:1 : For God alone I patiently wait; he is the one who delivers me.

There is not a sole reference to soul.

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

editted...
    The authur's messed up... well maybe not specifically messed up but were incorrect in not redering it soul since the word could be translated as 'me' or 'my life' as well :)
    (I went back to TCGreek's old thread on the HCSB has no soul, cause I remembered something about that there)

Seems you need a new bible.

#34 Allan, Jun 24, 2008
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have about 18 as it is, so I don't think I need a new Bible.

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm always looking for a new one :laugh:

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is taken from Gordon H. Clark's book :New Heavens,New Earth : A Commentary On First And Second Peter.

The end of our faith is the salvation of our souls. The word soul has several connotations in the Bible, and its later usage in the English language has increased rather than diminished the range of its meanings. At this point it need only be noted that the salvation of our souls is not meant to exclude the salvation of our bodies, but rather, as in Genesis 2:7 and Acts 27:37, the word soul means person. A stupid literalism often produces strange doctrines. A kindly old gentleman -- he was personally a lovely character -- used to argue that man was composed of three things, body, soul, and spirit. (Genesis 2:7 shows that there were just two, not three, components.) Then on the basis of Ecclesiastes 12:7 he hinted that there was no salvation for the body. The body decayed in the dust. The soul that sinned was to die, and other souls were to be saved. But the spirit returns to God who gave it; and so no spirit is ever lost. It requires no technical knowledge of Hebrew or Greek to avoid such peculiar conclusions. a good training in the Shorter Catechism in Sunday School will lay the foundation. Some acquaintance with Charles Hodge or Benjamin Warfield will provide logical analyses of Scripture. And for the rest, a little searching with a concordance will fill in the details. (pages 26,27)

19. skypair

skypair Active Member

I agree with you -- they are 2 BUT ... Heb 4:12 says, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit,..." That is, when a lost person hears the word, often they will believe with the heart but the soul has not yet trusted God. Hence, the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

skypair

20. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

This is what raised the question for me. I was reading Hodge's Systematic Theology and so I asked what folks believed.