1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dichotomy vs Trichotomy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by blessedwife318, Oct 10, 2015.

?
  1. Dichotomy

54.5%
  2. Trichotomy

27.3%
  3. Unknown

18.2%
  1. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My husband and I were discussing this topic and that made us curios to see what people on BB thought. I put a poll up and I would like to hear people's reasons for why they voted the way they did.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This subject has kinda baffled me. We see Father, Son, and Spirit...heavens, earth, and water...even with evil, there is mentioning of devil, beast, and false prophet. Hebrews 12:4, 1 Thess. 5:23, that tend to support that notion. Then in the Garden, God made the body and breathed into Adam the breath of life and he became a living soul, which kinda leans to a dichotomous being. So, I am teachable. Scholars?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone mentioned body, soul and spirit, but we're told that Adam was created from the dust, and the breath of life, spirit, was breathed into him, and he became a living soul. The words soul and spirit are often used interchangeably, so I lean toward dichotomy. I don't fret over it though. Paul speaks of the mind that serves the law of the Christ, and the law of sin that resides in his flesh. To the best of my recollection, a third tomy is left unmentioned. o_O

4. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that Adam was made fleshly first and yet inanimate until God breathed and he became a living soul. But how can we address Heb. 12:4 and 1 Thess. 5:23 in a dichotomous view? I am not settled one way or the other. I am wanting others to help me flesh this out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the poll left out one option....both.

the substance of man is two parts - spirit and body - dichotomy

but there is a third aspect of man - psyche, which is translated "soul"

it's a man's personality, rationale, conscience, emotions, memories, will, etc.

and understanding this issue is of utmost importance. Without this proper view, it will be impossible to grasp a biblical view of regeneration, sin, righteousness, the struggle between the spirit and flesh, and more

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think man has a soul, I think he is a soul. I could be wrong, but until something comes up that compels me to look at this more closely, I'm just not that concerned about it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am either a limited Trichotomist or an expanded Dichotomist.

I believe the unregenerate man is body, soul, but his spirit is dead.

The regenerate man has body, soul, and spirit.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

:)

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe I'm the only one that voted so far Trichotomy... My belief is that a Triune God created a Three fold man... Body, soul and spirit!... The same Body, Soul and Spirit that will be raised from the dead on the last day incorruptible!... Like Aaron said until something better comes along I'm not really concerned about it but the quote from TC emphasis my belief!... Brother Glen

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the LORD God formed man (Adam) of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man (Adam) became a living soul. Gen 2:7
    Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Ecc 12:7

And the soul, the personality? What state? The death?

Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. 1 Peter 3:20

Eight souls, eight persons, eight personalities, saved from what? The death?

Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him (person, personality, soul) from death, and was heard in that he feared; Heb 5:7

Not save him (person, personality, soul) from dying, but save him from, death.

The day Jesus died, he commended his spirit into the hands of his Father, God, who had given it. His flesh body hung on the cross for about three more hours and was then entombed. Jesus had not commended his soul into the hands of his Father but we are told that David being a prophet spoke of the soul Jesus not being left in Hades / Sheol and was therefore resurrected three days and three nights after the death had come to it / him / the soul/ person / personality.

through being Son, did learn by the things which he suffered -- the obedience, Heb 5:8
    and in fashion having been found as a man, he humbled himself, having become obedient unto death -- death even of a cross, Phil 2:8

The living soul Jesus?

I believe dichotomy.

11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Percho,

psyche (or psuche) is used variously in scripture - mind, person, etc.

there is a dichotomy of substance - spirit and body; with a third "aspect" making him a person.

the psyche gives a man personhood. A conscience, his thoughts....in short, personality. It's not substance, but is inextricably linked to the spirit as seen in the account of Lazarus and the rich man

12. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a physical body, and I have mental processes - thoughts, desires, emotions. So do my cats and my dog. However, as one created in the image of God, I have a God-consciousness that my animals lack. Therefore, I voted for trichotomy. I believe every human has a God-consciousness, even avowed atheists. The more vehemently such people deny the existence of God, the more they (ironically) display their own God-consciousness.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly I seem to be body and spirit and the two are in disagreement. I believe the soul is the life the spirit gives the body
    MB

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that soul is what body energized with spirit life, becomes. Even a fetus comes forth as and with personality and through the senses and emotion continues to build upon that personality.

15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Body: The physical part of man. The flesh. Head, arms, legs, etc.

Soul: The mental part of man. The will, intellect, and emotions.

Spirit: The spiritual part of man. That which was dead prior to regeneration but has been made alive by the quickening ministry of the Holy Spirit enabling us to believe, repent, love, and serve God through the sacrifice of Christ.

Therefore:
    Limited Trichotomist. The unsaved man's spirit is dead.
    Expanded Dichotomist. The saved man's spirit is made alive in Christ.

Our makeup is not at issue. What is important is that we serve Christ with our whole life, whether we believe that to be bipartite or tripartite. :)

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Ecc 12:7

Let's say that above has been applied to one of our loved ones and we are speaking of one or more of them and calling them by name, are we speaking of them contextually as soul, body or spirit?

Why, even at a funeral, with Curly laying there in a box, the preacher will say, "Curly is not here, his body is here but Curly is not here." We do not call dead bodies by name nor do we call the spirit of one, which departed from the body at death, by name. It's the once living soul, now dead, we call by name and remember.

Turn back, O Jehovah, draw out my soul, Save me for Thy kindness' sake. For there is not in death Thy memorial, In Sheol, who doth give thanks to Thee? Ps 6:4,5 YLT
    For Thou dost not leave my soul to Sheol, Nor givest thy saintly one to see corruption. Ps 16:10 YLT

Not sure about how much they remember concerning us.