1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Adam and Eve go to heaven??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Sep 8, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

here's another thing...

adam lived for how long... 900 some odd years? yeah? that would mean that he could've lived to see abraham. no?

apparently it works out like that.

but wait... the flood separates them... and if adam was alive to see the flood... why wasn't he on the boat? lack of righteousness maybe? noah and his family were the only righteous ones on the earth at the time...

so was adam and eve righteous? who knows.
    did they go to heaven? who knows.

just worry about your situation with the Lord. you growin? you standin up to God's measure of righteousness?

convicts me everytime i ask myself those questions...

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

Nope. :flower:

Yes, the flood separates Adam and Abraham.

No, Adam was not alive to see the flood.

He wasn't on the boat because he died 56 years before Noah was even born.

I believe they were. After their fall and expulsion, I believe they showed signs of repentence.

Even in her punishment, Eve acknowedged God's provision and blessing on her in having children. "With God's help, I have gotton a child." "With God's help, He has given me another child to replace the one lost."

Cain and Abel had to have learned from someone what humbling yourself in sacrifice to God meant. Otherwise, Abel would not have known it was right and been counted as acceptable and Cain would not have known what was right and been counted as unacceptable.

I believe that their father taught them what he personally believed.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hi, LeBuick!

1. That is when we get our resurrected bodies

2. Are you talking about that passage in Matthew? I don't know.

Having a difficult passage like the one in Matthew does not for me take away from what Paul says so clearly. I think the Bible is clear that Christians definitely go to be with Christ after death.

As for the OT saints, I think it is more unclear but passages about Enoch seem to be telling us that he went up to be with God.

My understanding is that Scofield taught the 2-compartment idea and a lot of people disagree with it (I may be wrong that it was Scofield, but it was someone like that).

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Fair enough, anyone have any idea what our resurrected bodies will be like? Is it pour present bodies without blood flowing through the vains?

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'd have to know more about Greek grammar, but I think that putting the "and" between phrases like this is sometimes a way of saying they are the same thing. We do this in English:

To have and to hold
    To have your cake and eat it too
    To be born and live
    To win the lottery and be rich

Paul also says it here, maybe more clearly:

They don't go back into the grave - they get their resurrected bodies in this scenario.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hello, LeBuick! Just to respond to your other post as well as this one, Jesus had a glorified spiritual body after the resurrection. We know he bodily resurrected. It was still his body but not the decaying, mortal body. 1 Cor 15 talks about the immortal replacing the mortal - we will get an immortal glorified resurrected body, as Christ did, transformed by God from our mortal body. This body can enter heaven.

Minor point -- A lot of people say Jesus walked through doors or walls but it does not say this in the Bible. Maybe he did but the text merely says he came into a room with a locked door. If it was locked, he could have supernaturally unlocked it. He did not have to walk through the walls or door.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scarlett O.
    ".....to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." has an entirely different meaning than "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord".

How about -

To play the lottery - AND to win it.
    To go to school AND to graduate with high honors
    To eat AND grow strong
    To leave home AND be successful in life.
    To quit your current job AND find a better one
    To stop smoking AND live a long and healthy life

The "To chew food and to eat food" idea that you are suggesting does not fit the 2Cor 5 chapter and does not fit what Paul already gave them in 1Cor 15 about the 2nd coming and the fact that it is only THEN that THIS decaying tent is traded in for the "immortal" one.

I think this is more in line with 2Cor 5 as Scarlet has pointed out.

In Christ,

Bob

#27 BobRyan, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:Scarlet O

Paul also said in 1 Thessolonians 4:13-17 that we should stop worrying about what has happened to our dead loved ones. He said that if they (or we) were saved that when Christ returns that the "dead in Christ shall rise" and we shall "meet them in the air".

I just can't put in all together in my mind that Christians die - then go to heaven - then come back and get in the grave again - and then rise to meet Christ whom they've supposedly already met.

Actually the problem with rejecting the solution given by Scarlet is that you end up with "body sharing". In 2Cor 5:1-2 we are told about the same eternal immortal body that Paul speaks about in 1Cor 15 where He explicitly tells us that this immortal body is given to us at the 2nd coming and resurrection of the saints.

IF you try to split them into TWO immortal eternal bodies - one given to you at the moment of death and the other at the resurrection of the righteous then you have BODY SHARING with two eternal bodies assigned to you. Which should be a "clue" that you should not try to split up those two comments from Paul as if they are not talking about the same immortal eternal body.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1650+ years from the time Adam was created to the flood.

Adam was waaayyyyyyyyy dead by the time of the flood even though he lived more than 900 years. Methuselah is the longest lived guy pre-flood and he lived almost 1000 years. He died the year before the flood.

In Christ,

Bob

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who knows. All I know is if we will be able to eat like Christ did prior to ascending, I'm all for that:thumbsup:

I believe we will still have physical bodies. To what extent biologically, nobody knows.

11. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

In icons of the resurrection of Christ, He is depicted as pulling Adam and Eve out of Hades. So the ancient take on it is yes.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Got any first century Icons? Because I have a Bible written in the first century.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Was it the same KJV that Paul used? :D

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes - it was good enough for Paul so it is good enough for me.

He then translated that into Greek.

15. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I know. We compiled it for you. :)

"The Word of God is not a book, but a Person.... The Divine Scriptures and the writings of the Saints are the written witness to this experience, but they are not the source of this experience."--Clark Carlton

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Moses, David, Isaiah..Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke John... wrote it - THEN it got READ EVEN in the first century without any help at all from the RCC since it did not exist back then.

That usually comes as a surprise to a few people.

17. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Doesn't surprise me

But people around here sure like to bring up the RCC a lot in response to posts that never said a thing about it. *shrug*

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "We compiled it for you"???

Who makes those claims besides the RCC?

Did I miss something?

19. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

The churches of Corinth, Galatia, Ephesus, Philippi, Colossae, Thessalonica, Philadelphia, Alexandria, Jerusalem, and Antioch--which all continued in full communion with one another after the church of Rome parted company with them.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which "of them" today is claiming to have "compiled the Bible for us"??