1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Ananias and Sapphira go to hell?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jan 7, 2007.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What do you think? :confused:

Act 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
    Act 5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
    Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
    Act 5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
    Act 5:5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
    Act 5:6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
    Act 5:7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
    Act 5:8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
    Act 5:9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
    Act 5:10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
    Act 5:11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, I think they were believers. The last verse shows that this was a lesson for the church and if they were not believers, it would not have been a lesson for the church.

Of course, I imagine we will have people from the other thread who will say they went to hell because they did not repent of lying.

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I have no clue who you're talking about... :smilewinkgrin:

4. standingfirminChrist

1. The Word of God does not say they were saved.
    2. The Word of God records that they lied to the Holy Ghost.
    3. When their great sin was revealed, they both dropped dead
    immediately with no repentance.

They both are in Hell.

5. standingfirminChrist

How does this being a lesson for the church prove that they were believers?

6. standingfirminChrist

Those in the assembly in the 4th chapter brought the prices of the land and laid them at the Apostle's feet.

All that heard the Apostles in that discourse sold land they owned and brought the full price.

It appears to me that Ananias and Sapphira were not of the believers who were mentioned in the previous chapter. Why, because the previous chapter said they indicating all brought the price. The two in the following chapter did not bring the price. They had heard of the others giving to help and the blessings and thought they would jump on the bandwagon without the full sincerity of giving that the ones in chapter 4 showed.

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yes, maybe they really were not christians. But what if they were christians? Would it make a difference if a christian did this and died or an unbeliever?

8. standingfirminChrist

You seem to be looking for loopholes in God's Word. As I stated in the other thread, a lying tongue is one of the abominations mentioned that God hates. They died after lying not to man, but to God.

Revelation 21:8 clearly says:

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

There should be no doubt whatsoever that these two that lied to the Holy Ghost and did not repent went to hell, and will ultimately go to the lake of fire.

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

No. Simply wanting to discuss things. :wavey:

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Good question, xdx.

I lean toward thinking that, if there is a Hell, Ananias and Sapphira went there. Lying to the Holy Spirit seems to be a very bad idea, in any case...

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yes.
    But some christians say they are in heaven. I wonder how they can be so sure. How in the world do they want to know it? Did they go to heaven and visit them? I do not think that anybody can really know where they are but only assume where they are and since they lied to the Holy Spirit they might indeed be in hell.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hope your are kidding about there being a hell. For someone claiming to be reformed, you have an unusual, potpouri theology.

13. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Since the Word of God does not say, then we simply do not know. However, if they were saved, then they are in Heaven. Christ's death was enough.

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Maybe I am, and maybe I'm not. I don't recall one of the prerequisites for belief being a fully developed theology of Hell.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

How can an unbeliever lie to the HS? They don't know the HS nor are they indwelt by the HS.

The last verse says that this made those in the church fear - I think that was the point. God did take people out - see 1 Cor about those believers who abused communion. Paul said that is why many of them "sleep," meaning they were killed for this. But they died believers. "Sleep" is never used to mean death for unbeleivers.

16. standingfirminChrist

How can an unbeliever lie to the Holy Spirit when they don't even know the Holy Spirit.

The Pharisees did not know the Holy Spirit, yet they lied to it when they lied to Jesus Christ.

17. standingfirminChrist

Sorry Marcia,

I have to disagree with you on sleep never used to mean death for unbelievers. The Bible also disagrees with you.:

Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Do you think that God is going to hold contempt for those who have placed their trust in His Son?

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

First of all, the HS is not an "it."

Secondly, they were not accused of lying to the HS directly, as were A & S. Totally different situation. Believers also did not have the HS then. Jesus said that unless he went, the Comforter (HS) could not come.

Also, ther is the part in Corinthians that I mentioned, about some believers being taken (killed) because of how they observed communion.

Believers can be taken by God -- there is the "sin unto death" which my pastor explained to us in terms of a believer being in habitual sin that he does not get out of and God takes him. Some believe this was done primarily in the early church and not now. Different views on it.

19. standingfirminChrist

Ahab was a wicked king and the Bible records:

1 Kings 22:40 So Ahab slept with his fathers; and Ahaziah his son reigned in his stead.

20. standingfirminChrist

The Holy Spirit is referred to as 'it' in the Word of God, not just 'He'.

John 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

1 Peter 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

According to these two verses, the Holy Spirit is referred to as 'it'.