1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did anyone else give up catholicism on Lent?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Daniel David, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Lent is that catholic time of year when they gorge themselves (fat tuesday or mardi gras) and then give something up to make amends for themselves and identify with their christ.

I chose to give up on catholicism. [snipped for inappropriate comments]

I just wondered if anyone else gave it up.

[ March 05, 2004, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You gave it up because of Lent? or were there other reasons?

Bob

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I actually gave it up a long time ago. I am a Christian after all.

I was really just poking fun at their meaningless holiday.

4. Constantine

Constantine New Member

First of all, Lent is not only a Catholic tradition. It is an ancient tradition of the Eastern Orthodox Churches as well(Since the Resurrection of our Lord until the mid-2nd Millenium, both Churches were united). I believe the Eastern Orthodox call Lent/Easter Pashca (spelling?)

Also, I've never heard a priest in my life announce that Mardi Gras would be celebrated at any parish, neither have I seen it announced in a Catholic publication. Mardi Gras is, like most events, is now a commercialized celebration (many non-Catholics participate in that fiend fest, if you have not noticed).

Besides all of that, your initial post was quite insulting.

What made you give up Catholicism anyhow?

In Christ,
    Ben

5. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I thought an old girlfriend of mine celebrated Lent, and she was a Methodist. Can anyone confirm/deny that Methodists celebrate Lent? If they do celebrate it, there goes your argument that it is just a Catholic holiday/observance. [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Neal

P.S. I, too, do not care for your "poking fun" and unloving attitude. No wonder Catholics won't listen to you.

6. Constantine

Constantine New Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I never claimed Lent was a Catholic observance. Did you actually read my post?

I know of non-Catholics who independantly give up things for Lent, but as for being an observance of a non-Catholic or Orthodox denomination, I wouldn't know or be surprised.

7. Constantine

Constantine New Member

Correction:

**just a Catholic holiday.

8. Constantine

Constantine New Member

9. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

From a letter written by Athanasius about 340AD

"...for I have written this to each one—that you should proclaim the fast of forty days to the brethren, and persuade them to fast, lest, while all the world is fasting, we who are in Egypt should be derided, as the only people who do not fast, but take our pleasure in these days."

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf204.xxv.iii.iii.x.html

Fasting for a period in preparation for the celebration of the Risen Lord has been a tradition that has been around for at least a little while.

10. frozencell

frozencell Guest

Wow! Congratulations on having the single most offensive post on this website, if not on any Christian website. It reminds me of just how Jesus acted............never.

But just to set the record straight, Fat Tuesday isn't celebrated by any Catholic church I've ever seen. Mardi Gras is a time for a bunch of debauched, unreligious, sinful people to gorge themselves on alcohol and sex while huge corporations make millions of dollars off of their sad sinfulness. I saw a special on TV once about Mardi Gras and 99% of the individuals had no religious preferences - and a great part of them being of the homosexual orientation.

To say that Catholic is not Christian is a farcical statement, anyhow. Where do you think Protestants came from? (We can take that up on another thread.) I am actually amazed that ANY of your post made it on the thread seeing as to how it breaks almost every rule in the TOS.

The next time I decide that Christ is only for me and no one else, that I can take Him out of the box only when it's convenient for me, and act however I want to whenever I want to I'll make sure that I act like..........you.

11. frozencell

frozencell Guest

Daniel,

By the way, I'm curious. What do you do to indentify with the suffering of our Lord?

12. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is very bizarre. Lent is not a celebration.
    It is a period to prepare for the Ressurection of Jesus Christ.The purpose is to attempt to think and pray about the Passion and to ponder the Biblical Scripture in depth. This to me is possibly the most important part of the year as it is identified with the suffering of Jesus for our redemption.

Fat Tuesday etc. is a cultural tradition practised in some countries and I understand the concept is to use up perishable goods prior to the period of fasting/or abstinence.

10/10 if this was sent out as a lure for debate, because the response has been rapid.

13. trying2understand

I don't don't think that the intent was to debate but merely to insult.

Nice guy and loving Christian, wouldn't you say?

14. Downsville

Downsville New Member

The seeking of Tammuz

15. Emily

Emily New Member

Well.. My french teacher, Madame LaRosa, (who isnt an authority on this or anything, but, she is french) said that on Mardi Gras (or, fat tuesday), the idea was to be gluttonos as much as possible, because Lent was coming up and you would have to fast..

If you think about.. it makes sense that people would come up with such a sinful idea..

Look at bachelor parties..
    Men now feel the need to see a bunch of naked women doing disgusting things, because it is their "last night of freedom"..

Over time, the celebration became more and more disgusting, and more and more sinful..

Mardi Gras was never originated by Catholics, but a whole lot of nominal catholics and other nominal christians sure did celebrate it.

16. trying2understand

"Fat Tuesday" has it's origins in using up all the perishable food items, that will not be eaten during Lent, before the start of Lent.

So again, lets take a virtue (not wasting food) and turn it into some sinister thing because Catholics do it. :rolleyes:

People just love to think the worst of others don't they?

17. Born Again Catholic

Born Again Catholic New Member

Didn't they do the same thing to All Saints Day.

The Church remembers the Saints who have gone before us on Nov 1, so what do some people come up with a day to recognize the Demons the day before, October 31.

18. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Brioni,

Thats interesting. As an evangelical, I personally have never done anything specifically during "lent", or any other time of the year. Christ is my life every day of the year, and I ponder on all of His goodness every day of the year.

I seek to "prepare for" and allow Christ to live out His resurrection in and through me every day of the year.

I ponder the scriptures every day of my life. Its an important part of my day...every day of the year. About the "passion" and multitudes of other wonderful facets of Gods scriptures.

Why not do like we do and "identify" with the suffering of Christ on our behalf, and His living out His resurrection life through us...every day of the year.?

Why limit these things like this?

God bless,

Mike

19. trying2understand

D28guy, while I am sure that you sincerely believe that you give your all everyday, I can't help but wonder if that isn't completely true.

The Scriptures tell us to fast. Do you fast every day? If so why do you not starve to death?

The Scriptures tell us to pray without ceasing. Do you pray from the moment you awaken until the moment that you go to bed? If so, how do you go to school or hold a job? How can you even be reading this?

I think that it is only human nature to be in better form some days and a little off our game on others. If you never do anything different for the purpose of drawing closeer to God, how do you know that what you think is on fire for God isn't really justlukewarm?

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to be Roman Catholic. My country is, as of this time, about 80% Roman Catholic. What I remember about Lent is that (correct me if I am wrong), this was the time when we did not eat meat on Fridays, and when we had what we called the Semana del Visita Iglesias or the Week of Church Visitations when families would go to as many churches they can go to and do the Way of the Cross in each church.
    I do not remember where we were made to gorge on food because there was to be an upcoming fast. And then, as Holy Week began, we had Ash Wednesday, and Fridays we watched the penitents as they walked down the streets doing self-flagellation or having someone whip them with leather thongs at the back, and some actually have themselves crucified.

No. I did not leave the Roman Catholic church because of Lent. I left the Roman Catholic church and all religions, at that point before my conversion into Biblical Christianity and to the Biblical Jesus, because of the hypocrisies and inconsistencies of man made religions.

No offense meant to anyone, Catholic or otherwise.