1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Christ know He was Christ from birth?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Oct 26, 2007.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have always believed, and still do, that Jesus knew who He was from His birth. I have talked to a few who believe He "learned" through obedience who He was. Its hard putting this into words the way I want to express it, so please bear with me. When Jesus was about 12, He told Mary it was time to be about His Father's business. So it is very apparent He knew who He was then, not just when the Spirit in the shape of a Dove descended upon Him in the river of Jordan. John the Baptist even knew who He was when he saw Him coming to him. What do y'all think?

Willis

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the Bible says He grew in wisdom and stature, so I'm not sure He knew from birth.

If He knew He was The Christ from birth, He could have "hid Himself" from Mary before she put Him down for a nap :D

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Interesting proposal!

2. The term Christ simply means the "Anointed One," and we need to keep this distinct from His deity.

3. It seeems to me that not until His baptism and the descending of the Spirit was Jesus anointed the Christ for His ministry (Lk 4:16ff; Acts 10:38).

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is being the "Annointed One" distinct from His deity? I understand the flesh died on the cross, and not His deity, but being 100% God and 100% Man, being The Christ would be deity.
    As a young Boy while teaching in the Temple He knew exactly who He was. His earthly ministry began in His 30's...but I think the OP is geared toward when did Jesus realize He is God. I think the Bible is silent as to the exact time.

#4 webdog, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Under the OT, which you aware of, Prophets, Priests and Kings were all anointed for service.

2. Luke says both time that Jesus was anointed by the Spirit for ministry in fulfillment of prophecy (Luke 4:18; Acts 10:38).

3. Yes, He was always the God-man, but He only entered His public ministry with His baptism and the anointing of the Holy Spirit, which is in keep with what we see in the OT.

6. drfuss

drfuss New Member

TCGreek write
    "1. Under the OT, which you aware of, Prophets, Priests and Kings were all anointed for service."

drfuss: Priests and Kings were anointed for service. Were Prophets always anointed?

I know some prophets were recognized as prophets, but was there an actual ceremony to anoint them as it was for priests and Kings?

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I hope the following Scripture helps:

"And Jehu the son of Nimshi you shall anoint king over Israel; and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abel-meholah you shall anoint as prophet in your place" (1 Kings 19:16, emphasis mine).

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think the OP was after when did He realize His time for being annointed for public ministry...but when the realization occured that He was God. I believe as a young child He knew this...convicted1 believes it was from birth.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Literally speaking, "Christ" means "Anointed One," not whether one is divine or not.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's fine and all...but that is not the point of the op. Is there another "Christ"?

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Did the "Anointed One" know that He was the "Anointed One" from birth?

2. My own conclusion is that as the God-man, Jesus knew what He was from birth, but didn't step into that role until His public ministry was ready to take off.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is there Scripture for that, or is that your own conclusion? I'm curious to hear your take on Jesus growing in "wisdom and stature", primarily as "stature" is used in the NT to translate the greek hay-lik-ee-ah which means maturity or greatness.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Neither do we want to put Scripture against Scripture, for Paul says in reference to Christ, "In Whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

2. Is Luke saying that Christ had to come into this fullness-storehouse of knowledge and wisdom, which He did not possess at some point?

3. As a reader of Scripture, I'm not want of those guys who puts Scripture against Scripture to fit something into my human reasoning. I'm willing to live with what I cannot fully understand.

4. Luke says that He grew in wisdom; Paul says in Him are hidden all wisdom and knowledge, and the Hebrew writer says that He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

5. This little mind of mine cannot fathom it all. :laugh:

#13 TCGreek, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007