1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did Christ suffer from Multiple Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Jun 28, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Percho,

You have asked some good questions, and some I would consider rhetorical. I will leave out those I think you ask that are rhetorical, and consider the others.

Philippians 2 is not mainly about explaining the nature(s) of Christ, but of Paul bringing the Philippians to remembering what was important. The aspect of being of one accord, of one mind. Not squabbling, but living a life of servitude and submission. Within that context, Paul uses the example of Christ.

Permit me to reverse the verse order to further emphasize the basic contextual meaning of the passage.
    Paul says, "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others."

A few rhetorical questions:
    Did Christ ever seek vain glory?
    Do you remember Him washing the feet esteeming Himself as servant?
    Did Christ ever look upon His own things - Did He even have a pillow to lay His head?

So it is in that context that the balance of the statement relating to Christ is made.

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
    9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.​

A few more rhetorical questions:
    Who exalted Christ? God
    For what ultimate goal? God the Father's glory.

To answer your questions:
    The word "form" (verse 6 &7) is "morphe" which is the visual appearance or outward appearance.
    So, the Scriptures are basically stating that the visual aspects of Christ were that of God, and that Christ abased himself and seized the visual aspects of being a servant in the likeness of a human. Isaiah is in agreement in stating "... as a root out of the dry ground He has no form nor comeliness, and when we shall see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him..."

Hebrews 2 is a great passage and made better (in my opinion) when read from the NIV rather than the KJV. There isn't any doctrinal difference, but the way it is laid out is a better read. The online version here is one of the best I have seen: Hebrews 2

Again I would refer you to Hebrews 2.

It is important to note that Hebrews does lay out that believers are joint heirs with full rights and privileges that heirs enjoy.

I will say that there are no "words thrown in the Scriptures" and the marvels of the trinity are beyond human capability to fully comprehend. What believers do rationally parse out is little and that completely shrouded in great mystery.

Perhaps these questions are rhetorical. I will add this small insight. Throughout this part of John 5, Christ is establishing His authority as the same as the Father's and to be recognized and evaluated by humankind as such. There is not some scheme of transferring who is responsible for what area (the Father or the Son), but that the Son and the Father are on equal footing. This is one area in which the union of natures is clearly shown as undivided, inseparable, and completely in one concurrence (agreement). See in this passage Christ in the flesh declaring divine authority over all matters and in more specifically over life and death.

The Scriptures clearly state in Acts 2 (which quotes from the Psalms) that the soul of Christ was not left in hell.

Here are some rhetorical questions to review what is death:
    When the rich man died, where was he? Was he alive? Then what died?
    When the beggar died, where was he? Was he alive? Then what died?

If the first death is the flesh losing vitality, what is the second death?

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

That does not mean that the two natures cease to exist as separate entities. In fact Chalcedon addresses this issue very clearly.

Agedman, you are deliberately misrepresenting my responses to you! In my post #29 I stated:
    You obviously have a problem comprehending that which is plainly stated in Chalcedon. I once again post the Chalcedon Creed, this time two versions. The texts are slightly different but have the same message so you, agedman, will have no excuse for repeatedly making false statements:

*******************************************************************************************
    The Chalcedon Creed from: http://www.gci.org/history/creeds

The Definition of Chalcedon (a.d. 451)
    We then, following the holy Fathers, all with one consent, teach men to confess one and the same Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, the same perfect in Godhead and also perfect in manhood; truly God and truly man, of a reasonable [rational] soul and body; consubstantial [coessential] with the Father according to the Godhead, and consubstantial with us according to the Manhood; in all things like unto us, without sin; begotten before all ages of the Father according to the Godhead, and in these latter days, for us and for our salvation, born of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God, according to the Manhood; one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, to be acknowledged in two natures; inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved, and concurring in one Person and one Subsistence, not parted or divided into two persons, but one and the same Son, and only begotten God the Word, the Lord Jesus Christ, as the prophets from the beginning [have declared] concerning him, and the Lord Jesus Christ himself has taught us; and the Creed of the holy Fathers has handed down to us.

The Chalcedon Creed from: From: http://www.reformed.org/documents/in...chalcedon.html

The Definition of the Council of Chalcedon (451 A.D)
    Therefore, following the holy fathers, we all with one accord teach men to acknowledge one and the same Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, at once complete in Godhead and complete in manhood, truly God and truly man, consisting also of a reasonable soul and body; of one substance with the Father as regards his Godhead, and at the same time of one substance with us as regards his manhood; like us in all respects, apart from sin; as regards his Godhead, begotten of the Father before the ages, but yet as regards his manhood begotten, for us men and for our salvation, of Mary the Virgin, the God-bearer; one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, recognized in two natures, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation; the distinction of natures being in no way annulled by the union, but rather the characteristics of each nature being preserved and coming together to form one person and subsistence, not as parted or separated into two persons, but one and the same Son and Only-begotten God the Word, Lord Jesus Christ; even as the prophets from earliest times spoke of him, and our Lord Jesus Christ himself taught us, and the creed of the fathers has handed down to us. ​

*******************************************************************************************

I am going to list, as I have previously, the pertinent teachings from Chalcedon:

1.0 our Lord Jesus Christ, the same perfect in Godhead and also perfect in manhood;

2.0 truly God and truly man, of a reasonable [rational] soul and body;

3.0 begotten before all ages of the Father according to the Godhead, and in these latter days, for us and for our salvation,

4.0 one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, to be acknowledged in two natures; inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved,

Now , agedman, note what Item 4.0 states: one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, to be acknowledged in two natures; the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved, Do you see the words? TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED IN TWO NATURES THE DISTINCTION OF NATURES BEING BY NO MEANS TAKEN AWAY BY THE UNION, BUT RATHER THE PROPERTY OF EACH NATURE BEING PRESERVED. Do you see that, two natures?

Now as to the words: inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably. The first two have to do with the two natures.

1. Inconfusedly means without confusion, that is, without disorder or chaos in each nature.

2. Unchangeably means without change or conversion, that is, no change in each nature.

The words indivisibly and inseparably have to do with the union of the two natures.

In your OP you deny that Jesus Christ has two natures: You say:

You are wrong agedman and that you cannot deny!

I will respond to the remainder of your post in another!

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old Regular,

You missed the point I was making. You keep posting about one part of the Creed, but miss completely the union.

Look carefully at the wording:

"concurring (in agreement) in one Person and one Subsistence, not parted or divided into two persons, but one and the same Son..."

"... and coming together to form one person and subsistence, not as parted or separated into two persons, but one and the same Son and Only-begotten God the Word, Lord Jesus Christ..."​

The union brought the natures TOGETHER to form ONE person and subsistence.

The union is NOT "parted or separated into two persons, but ONE and the SAME Son..."

Yet, by your posts, you would seem to desire to separate them and attempt to place certain Scriptures as manifesting one or the other of the natures. The Creed indicates that is not possible.

Christ did not have dueling personalities and natures within him. He was completely human and completely God - the God/man a union of the two natures. What impacted His humanity effected Him divinely. What He divinely enjoyed effected His humanity.

The Creed clearly states the natures did not merely co-exist, but were united - "coming together" functioning inseparably as a single unit in concurrence (agreement).

Just as the LBC (1689) states:
    "So that the Lord Jesus Christ is truly God and truly man, yet He is one Christ, the only Mediator between God and man.
    The Lord Jesus, His human nature thus united to the divine, once in the person of the Son, was sanctified and anointed with the Holy Spirit above measure, having in Himself all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."​

Where you are reading the first part of the Creeds and making a stand,
    I acknowledge that part and point to the latter to show the application.

Christ did not have two wills, two hearts, two minds, two strengths. He was singular.

The believer in the earthly flesh has two wills, two hearts, two minds, two strengths. The believer while residing in this competing natures estate longs (as Paul) to be released from the earthly form and nature and be transformed into that heavenly estate.

We get a small glimpse of that estate when we view the figures on the mount at the transfiguration.

Readers, did you ever wonder why Christ could be transformed while still in flesh and blood? Because the human nature and divine nature were in union and cannot be separated. Another glimpse into the union and how nothing could effect the natures in isolation, but that both natures, each responding as in perfect oneness, performed not in harmony as a duet but in unison as one voice.

On the matter of the OP.

Perhaps the wording may be mistaken when I wrote,
    "Christ was "God in the flesh" and that in that statement He had no dual competing natures as believers must contend, but a single nature as the Scriptures state - fully God and fully human."​

The point was being made that the nature of Christ was not two competing natures.

The nature of Christ was singular just as the Creeds and SofF state. The two natures were UNITED.

I am sorry that you seemed to have stumbled at my poor wording, but I honestly thought that by making such statements in the OP that Christ was "fully God and fully human," and that I was in total agreement with the Creeds and SofF that the wording was clear.

You zeroed in on the "single nature" part of the statement and that is unfortunate.

Old Regular, when you are speaking of the authority and work of Christ and must talk of the character and displays of His moods, do you refer to that as the "NATURES" or "NATURE" of Christ?

Do you use the singular or the plural?

If you truly hold that Christ had two natures, and that these natures can be shown in Scriptures to manifest separately, then certainly you must never refer to the "nature" of Christ, but the "natures" of Christ.

However, in doing so, is that not a violation of the Creed?

#43 agedman, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Apparently, agedman, you are incapable of understanding the difference between nature and person.

Jesus Christ is two natures in one person; that is what Chalcedon states and that is what I believe. That is what you deny in your OP and subsequent posts.

God is Three Persons but ONE Nature. That is what the Bible teaches, that is what the doctrine of the Trinity states, and that is what I believe.

Agedman, you are deliberately misrepresenting my responses to you! In my post #29 and again in #42 I stated:
    I have never denied the union, I have simply tried to get to get you to understand that the two natures are still preserved as Chalcedon states.

That is exactly what I have done, that is what Chalcedon and the London Baptist Confession state, and that is what I have demonstrated by Scripture, two natures in one person.

You are the one obsessed with multiple personality disorder in Jesus Christ!

Yes He was but the two natures were preserved as Chalcedon states: One more time!

To say that the human nature changed the divine nature, changed God, is utter nonsense agedman and heretical to say the least! I will simply present one passage of Scripture and quit:

Malachi 3:6. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

mandym had it right [post #11]. I thought so at the time but also thought I could help you understand but you continue to distort what Chalcedon states and what Scripture teaches.

That being said, if you want to continue to obsess about the supposed personality disorder of Jesus Christ feel free.:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jesus was born in the very FORM of man, JUST as he is the very FORM of God!

IF one denies that jesus was both God/man, 2 natures in one being, was called heretic !

For the Church has held that jesus is 2 natures, One being, no mixing/mingling, anything else outside of orthodoxy!

#45 Yeshua1, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  6. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is the verse in the Bible that says that Jesus has, right now and forever, two natures ("form of man")?

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question Tom

Gal. 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. Heb. 7:14 For [it is] evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

Hebrews 7:9,10 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

Did Jesus also pay tithes in Abraham?

Just for thought provoking info: Hebrews 5:4-10 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as Aaron. So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. As he saith also in another [place], Thou [art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

Why did we even need to know that Levi paid tithes in his father Abraham?

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before I Opened this, and After...

...I crawled under a metal table and prayed God wouldn't strike me with lightning for even approaching this post. The title is INANE, and borders on the sacrilegious. To even suggest a mental disorder is questionable, however, I see where you are coming from with the responses and comments made. :type: