1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Ford do the Right thing in his Pardon of Nixon?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Mar 26, 2013.

?
  1. Yes, it was the right thing to do

60.0%
  2. No, it was wrong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only because it would have been worse for the country if Nixon went to jail

40.0%
  4. I am not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Too many unanswered questions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your thoughts?

#1 Salty, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I was brought up in a house that despised Lyndon Johnson. In 1968 when Nixon won the Presidency, he seemed to be the right person for the right time. He had promised to get out of Vietnam, calm the racial tensions in the cities, improve the economy, and most of all, build a structure of peace. By 1972, when I could vote, he seemed to have done a decent job, so I voted for him. While in the service, I got a chance to shake his hand, so in general, I admired the man. At first I thought the Watergate stuff to be another media liberal stunt. As time went on, the character became apparant. It was quite a shock and a bout of anger to think the nation had been manipulated so cleverly, and so much power abused.

With that background, I felt what Ford did was wrong. What escaped me was the fact of his inner motives, Fords that is. I now believe the act not to be political wheeling and dealing, but showing Christian forgiveness. It was not so much for Nixon, but for the good of the nation, putting the situation to rest. Otherwise, it would have been a media spectacle for months, a former President on trial, and possibly in jail. The nation did not need it.

To answer your question, yes, without a doubt Ford did the right thing. I wish I could change my vote.

I snapped these pictures with a brownie camera right before shaking his hand. In fact, the head shot is at that moment. (May 73)

[​IMG]

#2 saturneptune, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013