1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by MrCorey, Aug 22, 2006.

1. MrCorey

MrCorey Member

1Sa 15:35b "...And the LORD regretted that He had made Saul king over Israel."

I don't quite understand this verse. It seems to me that God made a mistake. But how is that possible?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a mistake made.....but not by God.

I do not personally believe that this is a case of God saying to Himself, "Oops, I wish I hadn't done that!".

If that were the case here, (and other places where it says He "regretted"), then because He is God, He could have and would have wiped out the action and started over. And He didn't do that.

God never wanted Saul to be king in the first place. In fact, He never wanted his people to have a human king. The people asked for a king. They basically said, "Hey! All of these other countries have a king, why can't we have a king!?!?!?"

It wasn' so much that they wanted a king, but was more likely that they didn't want God to be sovereign over them.

God spoke to Samuel and said, "Tell them that if they have a king that he will force their sons to be soldiers and laborers for his profit and he will force their daughters to be laborers and that he will take their vineyards and properties and he will force a tax on them. Tell them that having a king won't be nearly the wonderful life that they think it is going to be."

The people didn't care. So God gave them what they wanted. Someone who looked good. The movie star "type". Someone who was tall and whose countenance and personality was contrary to what was in his heart.

And the people suffered for it. And it broke God's heart.

Parents suffer when their children suffer. Imagine having a daughter who against your better wishes married a very wealthy and handsome man, but who treated her like trash.

Imagine you had to be a witness to her daily unhappiness and because of her stubborness, she wouldn't come and tell you how miserable she was and how much she should have listened to you in the first place.

You would be in much pain over her pain. You would be aggrevated beyong belief that she didn't listen to you. And it would grieve you to see your grandchildren being raised by this man.

God grieved for his people in that they wouldn't seek his face. God grieved and regretted the fact that this was how his people had turned out and that He had to let them learn from their mistakes about how Saul was not the answer for them.

God regretted that Saul was King. Not in the fact that He made a mistake. God knew before he created the planet Earth that there would be a man named Saul that his people would choose over Him. And it hurt Him even then.

After they reject Him, God gave his children what they wanted. But like a very loving father, who will not force his children to obey him, God allowed his children to make the mistake and eventually learn from it.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Good answer Scarlett!

4. chadnrachel

chadnrachel New Member

God makes no mistakes.

He has no erasers on his pencils.

He never scratches his head....to ponder.

From looking through some study notes with my Bible, it talks of God not wishing he would change his mind...but his method of dealing with Saul. Possibly, he chose to no allow His will to be done, but allowed Saul to continue in his...ending up in destruction.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Scarlett :thumbs:

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Similar to the original question.

Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

I believe that God was sorry that He had created man. After all, that's what the Bible obviously says.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't you ever see the All in the Family episode where Archie Bunker says, "Hey!-- God don't make no mistakes!-- that's how he got to be God!"?

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Not original with me:

When man repents he changes his will.
    When God repents, he wills a change.

First heard from R-Charles Blair, a Western Kentucky Pastor and Theologian:

"Did it ever occur to you that nothng ever occurs to God?"

Got never has a new thought, for that would represent a change in Him.

Malachi 3:6: "I am the the Lord; I change not..."

Numbers 23:19: "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor the son of man, that he should repent..."

Any verse which speaks of God repenting must be interpreted in the light of clear, unequivocal scripture which says he does not repent and does not change.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

One commentator I recently heard said that the repentance of God is when God "turns away" from sin and the sinfulness of man. It does not threaten God's sovereign determinate counsel, for this "turning away" was "planned" by God all along. Makes sense to me.