1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Christ have A "Free Will" To Do the Cross or Not?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Jun 23, 2011.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No at the time as Christ had clearly stated both were in Hades and the ones in torments could look across the great gulf. When Christ died He took those souls to heaven.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cup was death and His prayer was answered.

And he went forward a little, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass away from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt. Mt 26:39

who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: 1 Pet 2:23

Who in the days of his flesh, having offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and having been heard for his godly fear, Heb 5:7

I believe the statement, 'nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt', was Christ 'committing himself to him the judgeth righteously'.

I believe that His request, 'if it be possible, let this cup pass away from me', was a supplication to 'him that was able to save him from death'.

I believe the fact that God raised Him from the dead shows both that His supplication was heard, and that God declared Christ to be righteous, after the Jews had unrighteously judged Him to be worthy of death.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the following passages from the Psalms to be Messianic and related to what is recorded in Mt 26:39 & Heb 5:7:

He asked life of thee, thou gavest it him, Even length of days for ever and ever. Ps 21:4

For thou wilt not leave my soul to Sheol; Neither wilt thou suffer thy holy one to see corruption. Ps 16:10

8 I cried to thee, O Jehovah; And unto Jehovah I made supplication:
    9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?
    10 Hear, O Jehovah, and have mercy upon me: Jehovah, be thou my helper. Ps 30

4 The cords of death compassed me, And the floods of ungodliness made me afraid.
    5 The cords of Sheol were round about me; The snares of death came upon me.
    6 In my distress I called upon Jehovah, And cried unto my God: He heard my voice out of his temple, And my cry before him came into his ears. Ps 18

4 Pluck me out of the net that they have laid privily for me; For thou art my stronghold.
    5 Into thy hand I commend my spirit: Thou hast redeemed me, O Jehovah, thou God of truth.
    13 For I have heard the defaming of many, Terror on every side: While they took counsel together against me, They devised to take away my life.
    14 But I trusted in thee, O Jehovah: I said, Thou art my God.
    15 My times are in thy hand: Deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me.
    16 Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: Save me in thy lovingkindness.
    17 Let me not be put to shame, O Jehovah; for I have called upon thee: Let the wicked be put to shame, let them be silent in Sheol.
    22 As for me, I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes: Nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications When I cried unto thee. Ps 31

( and there are too many other lengthy ones to include here)

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did depend on his Father's will ... that was the choice he made. He had free will.

Haven't you ever prayed, "not my will but your will be done"? You had the choice.

Kyredneck said, "The cup was death and His prayer was answered."

No, the cup was the crucifixion and death ... as well as the pain he knew he would suffer. I am sure he had seen men crucified and knew of the agony of those deaths.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Kyredneck followed that quote above by alluding to the fact that the resurrection of Jesus Christ was the Father's answer to His prayer.

He saved Him from death in that He was made the firstborn of the resurrection.

HankD

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a real hard time (in fact I can't) accepting He was asking to avoid the cross.

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4 I glorified thee on the earth, having accomplished the work which thou hast given me to do.
    5 And now, Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. Jn 17

I see Him asking for the same thing here.

8. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Kyredneck:
    Right on the Old Baptist line of doctrine as I understand it. Very well done. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

He sent to the Angel to help strengthen Him that night in the Garden so He could make the cross.

Scripture is very clear Jesus was ssorrowful even to death, He was at the Point of Physical death in the Garden that night and God strengthened Him, so He could make it to the Cross.

God's plan was fulfilled in His death, burial and ressurection and He answered the prayer that very night in the Garden.

10. davidoregonJr

davidoregonJr New Member

The Lord bless you a 1000 times more as much as you have in your life now.
    amen

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK but I was just pointing out what I understood Kyredneck to be saying and I am more inclined to that interpretation but yours make sense as well. I'll think on it somemore.

Thanks
    HankD

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you.

What about Ps 116? Same?

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably so Percho.

40 for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Mt 12

What do you think of 2nd chapter of Jonah?

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe it was an accident that Jonah was seventy two hours in the belly of the fish.

About the cup being his death.

Heb. 5:7,8 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; Luke 22:44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. Heb. 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. V2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of the faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Psalms 116:8-10 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, [and] my feet from falling. I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living. I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted:

2 Cor, 4:13,14 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak; Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present [us] with you.

Is that belief found in Psalms 116:10 and that was spoken (Faith comes by hearing) the faith of Christ, which he is author and finisher of and by which we shall be saved, And by which we have the spirit of through the gift of the Holy Spirit?

Just whose faith saves us his or ours?