1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Christ Tithe?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, May 1, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I cant recall this being mentioned in the Bible directly, did Jesus Tithe?

2. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

He didn't just tithe (10%)...... He gave all of Himself. Are you willing to do the same???

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about you Billy? Would you give it all over?

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Well, Ben! Since Jesus came "to fulfill"---I would reckon that the answer would be

Certainly He did!!

5. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Since Jesus practiced what He preached, I am confident that if He had an income, He tithed.

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Better question would be..after the establishment of the entity known to us today as "the local new testament church"...did the early Christians practice "the tithe" as outlined in the Old Testament....find me one New Testament reference (after Christ's death,burial,resurrection,and ascension into heaven)where the New Testament Gentile church was commanded to do so........
    By the way...remember "context".

Greg Sr.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Bro. Perry---the OP's question doesn't pertain to the NT Gentile----but to---Jesus, as a Jew---did He tithe????

8. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

For the early Church, giving became more of a joyous thing than a rule to follow. If a person really understands the Gospel and what God had given and what He has instore for us then giving of our measley means is put in perspective.

When I became a Christian I was always giving cash for this that and the other, then the Lord told me to tithe, so I did., I found I was not giving as much [​IMG] but I was still free to add via the "freewill offering" so to speak.

Paul talks about putting aside an amount that you have determined. We must give freely and with a joyful heart or not at all.

I would think common sense would tell you Jesus tithed. And payed all taxes.

David

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus certainly paid the capitation tax, and most likely, all others. Income? He was a CARPENTER. And several of His disciples were FISHERMEN. Did they give up their trades to become full time disciples? No. How do we know? Shortly after Jesus' resurrection, they WENT FISHING on short notice. Their boats & equipment had to be in good repair and good to go on short notice, and had they not been active fishermen, they wouldn'ta had a boat ready, etc.

10. David Michael Harris

They had servants too I believe. Hired help.
    The more you study things like this the more things open up, its facinating.

Life did not stop, it went on just as today and every day had needs that had to be met.

David

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Did Jesus tithe?

Well.

Jesus owns the cattle of a thousand hills.
    Jesus owns the earth.
    Jesus has keys to the kingdom.

Who would he tithe that to that he already has not done so?

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Matthew 17:24 When they had come to Capernaum, those who received the temple tax came to Peter and said, "Does your Teacher not pay the temple tax?" 25 He said, "Yes." And when he had come into the house, Jesus anticipated him, saying, "What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their sons or from strangers?" 26 Peter said to Him, "From strangers." Jesus said to him, "Then the sons are free. 27 Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for Me and you."

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

So Jesus tithed not to offend people?

hmmmmmmm

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Someone else mentioned Jesus teaching about tithing. I don't recall those verses. Can someone share those with us?

15. Loren B

Loren B New Member

He apparently didn't have any money, so he produced some so as not to offend. That was not the primary reason!!!

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Consider also that Christ did not approve of the way the local temples were handling their duty to God. He considered them a den of thieves, and believed that people should be helping the poor and sick instead.
    As someone else pointed out, He gave His all for people, but giving to the temples that were not following the law of God is another matter. Tithing to Christ was giving GOD His best, not the pharasees.

17. David Michael Harris

Do not be decieved, things are not always as they seem...there are many things that we just cannot see because the days and nights of many years have veiled our eyes, the more you earnestly study Scripture the God of all Grace opens your eyes. He dwells in Light unapproachable.

David

18. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

We can conclude from His sinless life that Jesus did indeed follow the requirements of the God's Law perfectly including instructions for tithing and sacrifices.

19. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

the 'temple tax' had nothing to do with the 'tithe'. :eek:

20. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I do agree with Jeff that Christ would have tithed because it was an honor to God. My comment was a response to the statement someone made about, "oh, so he did it to please people."
    I don't think He did anything to "please people". I do think He made certain choice so people would not be so offended they stopped listening.