1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus descend into Hell after His Crucifixtion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Paladin, Apr 12, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Might I ...

... just add my 2 cents?

1) Christ descended to paradise (like He told the thief) and when He arose, He took paradise (Abraham's bosom) captive to heaven with him. If you look at Luke 16 (per allan), you will see the 2 portions delineated very clearly.

2) It is a fallacy in the apostle's creed (that makes me hate to recite it) to be saying that Jesus descended into hell. He paid the price/penalty for sin at the cross as webdog avers.

skypair

2. joycebuckner

joycebuckner New Member

So true... now you are all agreeing....amen?:thumbs:

3. joycebuckner

joycebuckner New Member

I do agree with you all. But you must admit that you can all agree on some things...lol:laugh:

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

You forgot to add that in the Jewish view of Sheol/Hades, that's where Paradise is.

He went to hell. Hades. The grave.

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

True -- to a separate portion. I just take offense that the word "hell" is used because "hell," in my understanding, doesn't exist yet. IOW, if we look at the NT place called hell, it has not been created. It is the "lake of fire."

So yeah, use those other words and make it clearer that Hades or Sheol is not where Jesus paid the penalty for sin but that He went there to receive the occupants of "Paradise" to Himself and take "Paradise" to heaven with Him.

skypair

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Where in Scriptures is "hell" equated with "the lake of fire"?

That's just an assumption that we make as men.

There's no way to equate hades and sheol with "the lake of fire".

If tartarus is "the lake of fire", then the lake of fire already exists. (I think it already exists, but that no one has been thrown into it, but tartarus is not the lake of fire.)

That leaves only Gehenna. The only way Gehenna can be the lake of fire is if saved people can become unsaved or if we work our way to being saved. (Also, I think the lake of fire is literal. "Gehenna" is figurative; it no longer exists. The gehenna warnings are based on works and are aimed at saved people. The lake of fire forever is not applicable to saved people.)

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

I'll look it up. Dr. Rogers taught that and I think it comes from the "Tartarus" word that you use --- but where is the "lake of fire," Hope??

skypair