1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did Jesus Die On Your Cross?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PreacherOfTruth, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just in case you missed it:

>>>>>>>>>>>

Woe up there, the hoss you are jumpin upon isn't yours to ride.

You seem to be equating the "bearing of the cross" with some human attribute that would guarantee assurance of salvation.

Not so.

Rather, Christ is showing how that only those who are willing to follow Christ are worthy of Christ. Just as Christ willing carried (until physically unable) the cross because that was His Father's will, the believer must be willing to follow the will of Christ.

37“He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38“And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39“He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.
    Christ didn't speak of the cross as something that was to be on some checklist, but an attitude of service of follow - ship and fellowship.

When I was still in my youth, the missionaries in Quito, Ecuador were slaughtered. They followed Christ to the end of their life. Unfortunately, not all believers get to wear the martyrs' crown.

Follow-ship is what is important - just as Christ followed the Father's will, so the believer follows the will of God. That is what Christ was attending, and which I am beginning to question if you actually comprehend.

2. PreacherOfTruth

PreacherOfTruth New Member

Here is exactly what I believe.

I believe the words of Jesus.

John, Chapter 16, 13: Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

1 John, Chapter 2, 27: But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

How come you do not believe this?

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

He dines on similar fare as you.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Go back to the beginning of our conversation. I showed you how you took his words and made it into heresy.

5. PreacherOfTruth

No you did not. You did not prove anything. All you did was tell me your unproven opinion.

Here I will prove it.

We will debate and prove one statement at a time.

I will go first.

Prove anything I have said about Jesus that you say is false... with the words of Jesus.

Now you post one statement you say I said that is false about Jesus and prove it...with the words of Jesus.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I will use the words of Peter (words you reject) that testify of Christ; testify of Him through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Therefore they are God's words.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

This teaching tells us that Christ took our place on the cross--a teaching that you do not accept. Instead you have created a heresy out of some other sayings of Christ.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John was An Apostle, so you do believ that the Apsotles when the wrote the NT books were same as what Jesus said in the Gospels, ALL from God?

8. PreacherOfTruth

No

I have the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost teaches me and guides me into all truth.

How come you do not have the Holy Ghost?

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you believe what John recorded that Jesus spoke, but you don't believe Peter or Paul?

Why?

Seems to me that all three spoke with the same authority. In fact, Peter states a profound respect for Paul, and John records the words of Peter.

Luke was a Gentile physician and fellow traveler/laborer with Paul. Do you take what Luke recorded that Jesus said, and the work Luke records in Acts, as the truth?

How about James. The authorship has also been in dispute but most would agree that he was an unsaved brother of Jesus who after conversion became the pastor of the very first Church. Do you take what He states as an accurate account?

Book of Matthew was written by a tax collector - an IRS agent - do you take his record as accurate?

The book of Mark - the authorship has been in dispute as to which Mark. Perhaps he was the John Mark companion of Peter who served as an interpreter, but the authorship is basically unknown. Do you rely upon that account?

I have put these down so that you may know what DHK and I (and others on the BB) rely upon.

That ALL Scriptures are the Scriptures and that not one can be taken out of context, used in isolation, or set as more ascendent than any other.

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

That should pretty much end the cat and mouse game.

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 26:4 - Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Or you will also be like him.

12. PreacherOfTruth

Do not worship the gods and idols of your wife or God will become angry and take 10 tribes from your Kingdom and give it to another.

13. PreacherOfTruth

Post your questions one by one..one to each post and I will answer them.

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

False.

John 19,NASB
    17 They took Jesus, therefore, and He went out, bearing His own cross, to the place called the Place of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha. [Emphasis added
    --
    25 Therefore the soldiers did these things. But standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. [Emphasis added

Galatians 6
    14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.[Emphasis added]

The Bible speaks very clearly of Jesus dying on His own cross, not mine, not yours not anyone else's. Were that the case -- that He needed to die on each of our crosses individually -- He would have to be crucified anew every time a believer came to knowledge of Christ. That's absurd.

The Cross fulfilled the first promise of God, becoming the "good thing" of which the sacrifices were a shadow. It was the event toward which the course of all events had progressed.

The Cross cast a long, deep shadow upon Israel -- its people, its priesthood, its temple, its rituals. Anyone with knowledge of the Scriptures would have seen, if rational and honest, that this man Jesus died in the same fashion as the lamb of the passover, in a night-of-death shadow that served as a transition, a time of change in which old things passed away and all things became new.

The Cross shed light into the darkness of the world, and indicated those stirrings of the Divine mercy which terminated in the proclamation of salvation to the world. As matter of history, since the Cross of Christ has begun to take effect, it has caused religious systems long of tooth and dead of spirit, and rooted by rebellious fibers in the hearts of the people, to be laid aside as worn-out garments.

It has spread civilization over many nations. It has been a key to unlock the treasures of all useful knowledge. It has elevated art, widened commerce, removed the chains from the slave. It has founded hospitals and schools, checked the harsh government of rulers, quelled the anarchy of subjects, restored woman to her rightful position of partnership and equality, imparted peace and joy to the home, exalted nations, and is now both the light and leaven of the world. The Cross of Christ alone saves. There is no other.

15. PreacherOfTruth

I am not here to convince you to believe the truth. So if you say it is false and quote a bunch of verses that do not prove it I will not respond. I will only respond to legit arguments against what I have stated.

Till any of you prove that what I have said about Jesus with the words of Jesus is false...you have nothing.

Because what I said...it is written that Jesus said.

In order for you to prove what I said is incorrect. You will have to prove what was written that Jesus said...is incorrect.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

>BOX<

17. PreacherOfTruth

Show me where in the bible, Jesus said he took your place or anyone's place on the cross.

18. PreacherOfTruth

I can show you where Jesus said to pick up your cross and follow him.

Do you think he was just fooling around and didn't mean it?

Did he want you to carry your cross around for a decoration or to use it?

#78 PreacherOfTruth, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just did. If you don't like it, tough.

20. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

The light switch was for you.

Now while the light shone upon all when you flipped the switch, it was for you.

The others did not see you or each other, for they had not yet flipped the switch for themselves.

LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.