1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus do away with the Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, May 10, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

its either heaven or hell - no inbetween - paradise is heaven - the opposite is hell.

why do you people go on thinking there some inbetween that people go to when they die?

"for it is appointed a man once to die, then comes judgement" not "for it is appointed a man once to die, and then comes a place to wait for judgment"

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

The Law of God was never abolished.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well said, here.

Ed

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very true.

"Do we then ABOLISH the LAW of God by our FAITH? God forbid! IN fact we ESTABLISH the LAW of GOD!" Rom 3:31.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By CONTRAST to that Rom 3:31 point from Paul we have this bit of tradition from SMM

What a priceless quote! Too bad for SMM this did not actually come from the Bible - it just contradicts it.

In Christ,

Bob

7. Jacob Dahlen

Jacob Dahlen New Member

8. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Gekko,
    Re-read Jesus' Lazarus story... Then re-read my actual post... :D

After the Cross...

Isaiah 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Psalms 68:18 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.

Quoted by Paul:

Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

While it may not be the 'Classical' exegesis. [​IMG]

IMHO, I believe the contention that at one time both Paradsise and Perdition (for want of a better name) resided in 'hades'.

Pending Christ's Ascension...

At which time He led Captives Captive in His train and there was no longer a need for a separating gulf... So hell enlarged her bounds...

IMHO, it is the improper application of these passages that were twisted to support purgatory...

I do not think that 'Pergatory', a place to work our flaws, ever existed to begin with...

It sure doesn't exist now!

SMM

9. SpiritualMadMan

What a priceless quote! Too bad for SMM this did not actually come from the Bible - it just contradicts it.

In Christ,

Bob</font>[/QUOTE]Eph 2:15 Having ABOLISHED in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

I don't know what Bible Seventh Day Adventist Apologist' use... But, it must not have this quote...

Either that or SDA circular reasoning preempts the literal meaning of it. :D

SMM

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eph 2 speaks specifically of the "Separation" -- that is NOT between "God and man" but between "JEW and Gentile" specific to "Circumcision". Eph 2 calling the one group the party of the "Circumcision" and the other group not. Eph 2 shows how the JEWS were CLOSE to God but the Gentiles far away.

Your eisegesis above would twist and bend the text so that What Christ ESTABLISHED is ABOLISHED -- what faith Established (Rom 3:31) is ABOLISHED!.

But your failed argument begins it's failure by eisegeting the idea that Gentiles CAN NOT be united with Jews AS LONG as we are forbidden to murder and commit adultery - therefore the commandments AGAINST such sins must be ABOLISHED so that the Jews and Gentiles can be ONE!

What a horrible wrenching of the text you have "imagined" to make your case here SMM.

Why do you go to such lengths to eisegete the Bible in favor of man-made-tradition?

In Christ,

Bob

11. SpiritualMadMan

Yes, I am sure that is the Classical SDA line on the scriptures...

You acuse me of twisting scripture?

I used to hold the SDA in high regard...

After all it was an SDA Oral Surgeon who excised by wisdom teeth...

But, after seeing the twisted circular reasoning that you two SDA Apologists are using in a vain attempt to negate Grace...

I consider the SDA church a heretical cult that does _NOT_ espouse the True Gospel of Jesus Christ...

But, rather the 'gospel' of the Judaizers...

Galatians 1:6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-
    Galatians 1:7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.

BTW: You should use a spell checker more often, the word is exegete...

And, The gospel of Christ is not a man-made-tradition...

Christ gives True Liberty and Abundant Life...

When man gets involved man brings others into bondage to make himself more powerful...

It is you, sir, who are espousing man-made-traditions.

SMM

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Now see Mike,

you are often saying you have been "insulted" but you just called our church a cult.

Claudia

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You seem to be almost "allergic" to exegesis at every turn SMM! How surprising!

Lets take the "details" of Eph 2 since you seem to be so opposed to them - and highlight what you so desperately need to gloss over.

The work of Christ was to bring all men back to God - including those far away - thus abolishing the hostility between lost man and God
    AND abolishing the hostility between the two groups - those in the one True Religion - the Hebrew Nation Church, and those in the Pagan religions.

We see above that BOTH solutions are mentioned - bringing them NEAR to God and ALSO drawing the two groups of people into ONE body of Christ. No longer TWO divided groups – Jews vs Gentiles!.

How is this done? By the Justification and forgiveness and New Creation that eliminates our being "children of wrath BY NATURE". By
    FIRST solving the problem of the hostility between God and lost humanity. Hostility caused by the fact that God's Law shows God hating evil/wickedness
    and reveals that man IS evil and wicked.

Christ abolishes the HOSTILITY in the LAW - but does not void/annul/abolish His Law that declares Him to hate evil and that Calls man to Love God Deut 6:5 and Love
    his fellow man - Lev 19:18. a.He pays the debt that the Law demands (preserving the LAW while removing/abolishing the hostility it requires) and
    b. TRANSFORMS the human that is BY NATURE a child of WRATH - into a child of God. One who LOVES his fellow man and loves God.

Here again we see the TWO groups “BOTH reconciled into on body TO God THROUGH the Cross” the TWO groups are NOT “God vs Man” but Jew vs Gentile! God is not “ONE man with us” rather Jews and Gentiles are now ONE that is reconciled TO GOD! So the commands/ordinances are those that SEPARTE Jews from Gentiles by Law. For example “the Court of the Gentiles” in the temple.

The result is that BOTH those who were far (Gentiles) AND those who Were Near have been given peace and have been reconciled to each other – they are “now one”.

The TWO groups have the ONE solution - access to God. And the TWO groups are then merged into ONE - by the New Birth
    creating the NEW Heart, giving LOVE for each other and Love for God.

Faith then - ESTABLISHES the LAW of God rather than abolishing it. Romans 3:32.
    The faithful are then those who live and act as those who are to be judged by that perfect Law of God. James 2.

[/quote]

See - a careful review "of the details" produces exegesis that can not be refuted by simply ranting as you do above.

The text is speaking clearly -

"Sola scriptura" WORKS!

How unsatisfying "by comparison" is your "ranting about SDAs as a very poor substitute for actually doing exegetical reviews of Eph 2".

In Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I claim that you are using eisegesis to get your points inserted into the text. By contrast I claim that I am using exegesis.

Did that not come across in my post? (Almost never spell check on this board - so I coulda goofed up there)

In Christ,

Bob

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now back to your argument that God can not reconcile us to Himself (that would be the 2Cor 5 topic again) without first abolising the commandment against adultery.

IN Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  17. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow! A "Seventh Day A-dentist"! [​IMG]

BTW, "eisegete" was not a misspelling; it's the opposite of exegete. He's accusing you of reading something into the scripture.

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

thats funny, Eric [​IMG]

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Law contained in the ordinances is not the Ten Commandments at all. There was the Law, the Statues and the Ordinances.

20. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sabbath is not the man-made tradition.
    The question is whether it was included in the ceremonial law replaced by better commandments.
    After the salvation we have to follow the Holy Spirit and HS doesn't ignore the commandments but encourages us to keep the commandments.

Animal sacrifice was replaced by the crucifixion of Jesus Christ at the Cross.
    Festivals, New Moon Day, even Tithings are replaced by better teachings (2 Cor 9:7-8)

I think Sabbath Day, Sabbath Year, Jubilee indicate Yom Kipur, and Yom Kipur indicate Yeshuah.
    In Yeshuah Ha-Masiach, we enjoy the continuous and eternal Sabbath throughout our lives. So, to me everyday is Sabbath, 7 days a week, taking the rest while Jesus works on my behalf.