1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus do away with the Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, May 10, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

SMM

You know what I just realized about you?

YOU are the LEGALIST HERE... AND because YOU seem to have this legalistic view of the Law, you keep trying to project it onto us!

We arent the ones being legalistic, YOU ARE!

And it seems as is since you have this totally legalistic view of God to start with (which you have already said you "used" to have).... you have turned around and thrown out the law.

Its no wonder you want to get the law as far from you as possible!

And then you MUST try to imbue us with these same legalistic atrributes to try to justify your turning your own back on the Law.

The truth is that you cant stand it knowing we arent legalistic... and you cant stand it knowing the Bible doesnt support this legalistic view of God.

If you were to ACCEPT the truth about God and His law you would have no excuse left! and you KNOW it

2. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I am only Judging according to the standard you have set for yourself and are trying to impress on others. :D

If you want me to extend Grace then stop trying to impress the Laws and Ordinances on me...

As it is with the same measure you judge so shall you be judged...

Stop applying the Laws and Regulations to believers then we can talk...

BTW:
    Calling me a Legalist does me no harm...

For, I was once a rather fine legalist until I met Grace.

SMM

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well if you had of read my posts I stated that there were times due to taking care of your family which the Lord said it was ok to do good on the Sabbath. I have posted that sometimes people have to use one of the days out of the week to set aside for the Sabbath. I stated this from the beginning and it is also the way our church practices as far as members who cannot make it on Sunday.

4. gekko

gekko New Member

like the ox in the pit right brother bob?

5. SpiritualMadMan

Yep, I missed that one. [​IMG] (WE really need an "Embarrassed" smilie...)

And, it just confirms what I am beginning to believe about you. That you are not the harden legalist I once thought! :D

But, I wasn't really addressing you above.

Yes, I agree we can and *should* do good on the Sabbath...

Whether we observe a Sabbath on one particular day or many days. :D

Now... :D

Do we define a Sabbath as a day of rest?

A day of worship?

How about as a kinda "Selah" a rest/pause to reflect on God?

Wouldn't that include both rest and worship?

SMM

6. gekko

gekko New Member

"I have posted that sometimes people have to use one of the days out of the week to set aside for the Sabbath."

hmm? sabbath is on the seventh day. period.

so. that being said - if something needs to be done on the sabbath - then do it! if you can't get around it - do it! just like Jesus has shed a new light on the old law with the example of the ox being in the well... they didn't pick a new day to have the sabbath. the sabbath is always going to be when it is. if something needs to be done - do it. if you can get around it - then dont do it.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well it is a given fact that we are 8 to 9 hours behind Jerusalem's time so if you are going to stick right to the hour then you will have to move it up 8 or 9 hours as the muslims do they go by the time in Meca rather than the time where ever they are at. [​IMG]

8. SpiritualMadMan

Oh, Brother Bob, you just *had* to bring 'science' into the discussion! :D

Sweet!

SMM

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

The Sabbath is from evening to evening, wherever you are at. That was how a biblical day was measured.

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

In other words, on friday evening when the sun is beginning to set, the Sabbath begins and it ends Sauturday evening when the sun goes down.

You dont even need a watch to know when the Sabbath starts and ends.. and its the same all over the world... from "even unto even"..

Lev:23:32: from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

Genesis 1:5: And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

evening unto evening was a biblical day

11. gekko

gekko New Member

yup. we're not on jewish time here folks.

we on north american time! oh? did you not realize that?

im just foo'in with yah. but we aren't on jewish time. so we go by what time we are here.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, if you start at Jerusalem, go west 15 degrees of longitude per day, observing your sabbath for "even to even," what day would you be observing as the 7th after the 24-day trip?

13. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Alcott,

Gee I dont know but I can see that God mustve made a huge mistake commanding everyone to keep the Sabbath Holy then.

NOTTTTTTTTTT!!!

What you keep saying about that is irrelevant!

14. SpiritualMadMan

The Law of First mention makes Sabbath a Rest...

The Ten Commandments codified the original intent...

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The Ten Commandments codified that the "Keeping it Holy" was to do no work...

Not attend some big religious event...

That came later and was also apart of the Special Sabbaths that were codified in the Ordinances of Moses...

Jesus in teaching the New Covenant reiterated and clarified the original intent by stating that the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath...

That is, if God wanted a day of rest, then man should take God's example and take a day of rest, too.

While I agree that continued willful sin puts one in potential danger with the Holy Spirit...

I do not see anything that equates the Sabbath as a mandatory Salvation Essential Ritual for Gentile New Testament Believers...

SMM

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

thats because you dont believe we have to keep the commandments, Mike.

If you knew we need to keep them then you'd know the sabbath was one of them and also needed to be kept..

you say the Sabbath doesnt have anything to do with any religious event... but it was the custom of Jesus to go to the "church" every Sabbath..

Lk:4:16: And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

It was the Apostle Paul's custom as well:

Acts:17:2: And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Acts:18:4: And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

16. Michaeneu

Michaeneu Member
    Site Supporter

Perspective does not destroy the representation of a day. As Claudia stated, Yahweh determined the day from evening to evening. The seventh “day” of the week in North America is also the seventh day of the week in the Middle East; the only difference is that they begin at different times due to the curvature and orbit of the earth.

From Yahweh’s perspective, there was no consternation concerning the first day of creation! How that day could have been perceived on differing parts of the globe did not defeat the representation of the day as given by Yahweh.

Michael

17. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Amen to that, Michael, Thank you!

18. Michaeneu

Michaeneu Member
    Site Supporter

Arguments against the Decalogue through grace are examples of poor understanding. Grace does not abolish the generic moral absolute of honoring our parents or any other moral absolute of the Decalogue.

Certainly we are saved by grace but grace does not abolish the moral absolute that it is righteous to honor our parents. Grace supplies the ability to fulfill the righteous and moral requirement of honoring our parents.

“For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Romans 8:3-4

Grace through sanctification grants the power to overcome and live a righteous life. Observing the Sabbath precept is merely an outward manifestation of His grace.

It wasn’t the SDA’s that transmitted parity between the precept of the seventh-day Sabbath and honoring our parents in the first place; Yahweh confirmed this parity by including it with the most basic moral precepts of the Decalogue at Mount Sinai.

Michael

19. SpiritualMadMan

I find fault with the insistance that the Sabbath be kept in a way that is not consistent with the Law of First Mention; The Ten Commandments; or Jesus...

The insistence of a specific day or form is, IMHO, in error...

And, I strongly protest and deprecate the insistence that I keep the Sabbath the same way that your particular denominations keep the Sabbath...

BTW Mich...

If the Lamb leads you through a field on the Sabbath and tells you to pick and eat even though some denominational sects would call it sin...

Would you follow Him there?

SMM

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is irrelevant that if you continue to 'keep' your 7th day even-to-even day that you will be keeping a different day by such a trip around the world? Absolutely not. Explain whether you would change the day or if you would continue then to keep a different day from other 7th-dayers you leave and return to.