1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus go to Hell

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Most modern translations of the Apostles Creed say, "He descended to the dead."
    I think this best portrays what happened. When we say Jesus went to hell, it is technically correct but this usage is archaic. So Jesus made proclamation to the spirits in prison. There had to be some purpose for this. Could it be that the spirits in prison were the righteous dead who without Jesus could never find their way into Heaven? After all, we have John 14:6, which Jesus spoke in the present tense before he was crucified. I think it may well be that Jesus descended to the dead to bring the righteous spirits out of prison and into His presence.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are saying Christ preached to the physically dead to which there is no repentance. When the scripture is saying that by the "same" Spirit that by which He was quickened in the days of Noah, preached to them which were in prison.
    You added your own emphasis here also.

Provide scripture please where Christ even talked to them which are in hell.

You made a whole lot of this up, including the following. You have no scripture to support your thesis DHK?
    For what purpose did he go there? The word "preach" also has the meaning "to proclaim." He went there to proclaim his victory to those disobedient spirits residing in hell.

Got to go to New Salem Association, cya when I get back.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Tom Butler:
    I agree!.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Not possible unless paradise equals hell, or the supposed three days did not immediately follow the Crucifixion. Why do I say that? Because Jesus, on the cross, promissed the penitent robber, "Today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Great point. I never thought of that...

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now there's one I overlooked...

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You still have to contend with

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

1 Peter 3:18-19 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Matthew 12:40 is clearly speaking of the grave, or a place of bodily confinement.

1 Peter 3:18-19 is dealing with the fact that by Christ's death and resurrection, that action...not Christ literally..."preached unto the spirits in prison".

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Maybe over a billion may recite the Apostles Creed, but millions of the Evangelical churches may not do that. Thousands of churches that I know as faithful to the NT teachings do not recite it.

2) This requires a lot of argument and debate about itself and that's why you better start a new thread about this Creed as this is not the thread about the Creed, and I didn't want to hijack the thread to another issue.

3) Creed itself can be very much controversial and therefore it cannot be the soulrce of ultimate truth.

Let me shortly point out the problesm with it.
    According to your statement which I believe is quite a classical Creeds without modification ( Many people found the problems with it, and therefore they also modified it as the Creed is not unchangeable truth, different from Bible)

1. I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

This is a typical half truth :

God never made anything without thru Jesus Christ. Read Jn 1:3, Col 1:16, Heb 1:2,

Read Ephesians 3:
    9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

What the Creeds portrays is that God created all things without Jesus, and Jesus was sleeping in the Bosom of His Father. I recited this creed in my childhood till I grew up, but I didn't know Jesus was the Creator for long time.

2.I beleive in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord;

I hope you know the difference between his only Son and His only begotten Son. If anyone had 2 sons, and one son died of the traffic accident, the surviving son is the only son.

The only begotten son is the only son from the beginning. There may be an argument about monogenes, but the i ntention of the Bible using the term, I believe, is such unique.

3. who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,

This is the verse which many people misunderstand.
    Jesus was not conceived but was born by the Holy Spirit.
    The word used in Mt 1:20 is not Sulambanow, but Gennao which is used for beget, begot, begotten which means born.
    In other words, Jesus was not conceived by the reaction of fertilization between the ovum of Mary and the Sperm of the Holy Spirit.
    But He was born already as a perfect HUman Embryo in the womb of Mary by the Holy Spirit. He was enfleshed by the Holy Spirit.
    Jesus was already born ( gennao) by Holy Spirit( Mt 1:20) before He was born out of Mary ( Mt 1:25)

4. born of the Virgin Mary,
    Some countries use the special language for Virgin to indicate the lifetime Virgin, and Catholics understand this virgin as lifetime Virgin.
    This phrase is also short of the whole Truth as a Creed, because it gives the impression that Jesus didn't exist before or sleeping in the bosom of Father, then he was born by a woman, exalting the woman, Mary.
    If it can be perfect, came out of Mary ( Gal 4:4) who was created by Himself.

5. suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    Pilate was the one who tried to release Jesus.
    Why does it have to mention a human name here? The Lamb of God was supposed to suffer the pain and death by the Priest or High Priest.
    Pilate wanted to release Him, he tried to release Him even if he may have to beat Him.

6. was crucified, dead, and buried;
    No Problem here.But it is lacking the crucial Truth that He bore our sins, and was crucified on our behalf so that our sins were forgiven already at the Cross.

7 he descended into hell;
    This is not supported any where even if it may have meant 1 Pet 3:19
    Jesus went to Paradise along with the Robber.
    Many are confused among Gehenna ( Hell), Hades ( Sheol), Pulake( Prison: 1 Pet 3:19), Tartarowsas ( 2 Pet 2:4- dark prison), and this portion of truth need a lot of discussion. One thing very clear is that no one can safely state that Jesus went to the hell without controversy.
    Also, the timing can be a specualtion, either while in the tomb or the time after the resurrection.

8. on the third day he rose again;
    This can be a problem if it meant the third day after the 2 nights which underlies Good Friday, which contradicts what Jesus said about 3 days and 3 nights. Otherwise, it is OK.

9. he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost;

No Problem

10. the holy catholic Church;
    I don't believe the Holy Catholic church.
    We can find nowhere in the Bible that the saints believed in the church. Among 7 churches in Revelation, all 6 couldnt escape the rebuke by Jesus except Philadlphia. Do we have to believe in Laodicean church which represents Today's churches? NOPE !

11. the communion of saints;

Remember that the Catholic meant the Saints by the dead believers.
    They believe the prayer to the Dead, pray thru the dead, blessings thru the dead, etc. which is often found in the paganism.

I REJECT this.

12. the forgiveness of sins;

Catholics believe that they have to ask God to forgive their daily sins, then God WILL forgive their sins, because they don't believe all the sins of theirs were already forgiven. So, the right sentence should have been : I believe that all the sins were already forgiven at the Cross.
    This statement is quite tricky

13. the resurrection of the body;
    and the life everlasting. Amen.

Can be OK unless one believe the Body of the Resurrection is the same as the current one on this earth, as we will have another body.

Our churches of so-called Plymouth Brethren do not recite this Apostles Creeds as we believe that the Bible is enough, and we find nowhere the Apostles left a creed for the believers to memorize.

This is why I mentioned that the Creeds cannot be the basis for the Biblical discussion. Only Bible is needed which tells the truth enough.

#29 Eliyahu, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What else in the Bible do you wish to allegorize. Is heaven confined to this earth as well?

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How did you make that leap from Peter's "He went and proclaimed" to "His actions went and proclaimed"?

#31 TCGreek, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Did Jesus go to hell?

Dear Bro Tom,

I like the way you worded this! Precise and to the point. Well said, brother! Amen!!

Willis

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

DHK, you and I posted secs apart.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Did Jesus go to hell?

I had not thought of this, either. I work with some people who believe that Jesus died and preached to those in hell. They also believe that hell had two sides(paradise/hell) and Jesus led those that died in faith out because Christ took the keys to hell from Satan...or something along these lines. I tend to "tune" them out when they speak on this subject. I believe that Jesus' body laid in the tomb for THREE days and THREE nights, His spirit went back to God, and when He came back, His body came out of the tomb by the same Spirit that will bring us out of the grave on the Morning of ALL Mornings!! I just don't see where He had any need to preach or proclaim ANYTHING to those who were physically dead. When we die, our fate is sealed! The way the tree falls, so shall it lay! If we die in sin, we will raise in sin. If we die in Christ, we will raise in Christ. No changing after our soul leave our body. May God bless!!

Willis

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

We must ask ourselves:

1. Are we trying to rescue Jesus from his descent into the underworld because it just doesn't fit who He is? What does that really say about our understanding of Jesus?

2. Isn't this a case of boxing God in? Let Scripture speak, I say.

16. Kay

Kay New Member

But if Jesus went to Hell and Hell is really just the grave. Then does that not make hell just the grave a place for the departed and not a burning fire of torment and torture?

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And who is arguing that hell is just the grave?

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is Hell just the grave? Who said so? How did Jesus define Hell?

Mark 9:43-44 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

That is one grave I don't want to be buried in.

19. standingfirminChrist

The rich man lifted his eyes in hell, being in torments...

Hell is not just the grave.

20. Kay

Kay New Member

I'M CONFUSED!!

Ok, Jesus went to the grave which is Hades right? If hades is Hell then Hell is not burning flames? This is so confusing!