1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus go to Hell

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Hell = Hades: The abode of the spirits of dead people (not to be confused with N.T. theology). Not the grave but what we perceive as a shadowy netherworld.

Hell = Ghenna. A place of consuming fire. References to hell in this context always portray eternal punishment.

I tend to think that Hades was where Jesus went and "made proclamation to the spirits now in prison."

Excellent reading on the topic of Hell is Dante's Divine Comedy.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did I ever say that?

Try context...

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which "hell" are you talking about...hades or ghenna?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The same greek word for went (poreutheis) is the same word used in verse 22 for Christ's ascension. The text says nothing of Christ descending down into anything.

For the record, those who hold to this view that Christ decided to reside in hell for three days preaching the Gospel hold the same view as Mormons, if my memory is correct (probably not :)).

#44 webdog, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

In both cases, the Greek means "He" went, not some action apart from Him went. He went. He ascended.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

"Hell" I will argue that it is the part of Hadean realm that too is hellish, and is a forestaste of the Lake of fire.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you take this as you put it, then it was after the resurrection that He went and preached to them in prison.

It is talking about the same Spirit that raised him, went in the days of Noah and preached.

BBob,

That is good Bro David, in all these years, I missed that one.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The significance in my view had to do with how those who died looking forward to the coming messiah were able to receive the Gospel and be made alive for ever more. Whether we include ones mentioned in Heb 11 whose faith was counted as righteousness or not, there is only one means to salvation which is through Christ Scripture further teaches there is only one way to Christ, the Gospel.

Peter’s account of Jesus proclaiming the Gospel to those held captive in hell bridges the gap to this passage of scripture;

Mt 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
    53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Did the sleeping saints call upon the name of the Lord without hearing the Gospel?

Ro 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
    13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Amen! Surely this post will eliminate some of the confusion over this issue.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree...He ascended into Heaven (not into the lake of fire), ...and this is what was "proclaimed" (the events preceding the colon is what is being referred to..."For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: by which.....").

#50 webdog, Sep 21, 2007
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Huh? :confused:

In the grave, the body feels no suffering, and the spirit is absent.

in the lake of fire, both the body and spirit suffer together.

#51 webdog, Sep 21, 2007
  12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hbr 4:2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard [it].

Act 7:38This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and [with] our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

Act 7:39To whom our fathers would not obey, but thrust [him] from them, and in their hearts turned back again into Egypt,

Are we really so different???????? They looked forward, we look backward!!!

#52 Brother Bob, Sep 21, 2007
  13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

No, I don't think Jesus would burn in the flames of hell. That raises the question, if he didn't suffer in hell, what was the point of his going there?

I believe that when he said, "It is finished," and died, there was nothing further necessary for him to do. The atonement was complete.

This reinforces my point, actually. He (his body) was in the heart of the earth, not in hell.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't understand your conclusion. Why must it take place after the resurrection?
    As you say, it simply says: it is the same Spirit that raised Him.
    By the power of that Spirit he went and preached to the disobedient spirits in prison, before His resurrection. After all He is God, one of the persons of the triune Godhead.
    Is it so difficult to accept the straightforward teaching of the Scriptures. We may not like what they say. But we need to accept by faith what they teach.

Are we going to bring ourselves down to the level of cults such as the J.W., who reject such doctrines as the trinity because they can't understand it? I find that kind of thinking repulsive, and yet that is what I am finding here. Many of you are saying (in essence) "Because I don't understand it, I won't accept it."

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are quite correct in saying that the atonement was finished when Jesus said "It is finished."
    But that is not why Jesus "descended into Hell, and "preached (proclaimed) to the disobedient spirits in prison." He proclaimed his victory, and then he led "captivity captive" (Eph.4:8). In other words he led the OT saints out of Paradise (which now no longer exists) and into heaven. They "ascended" with him.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It doesn't say he "descended into Hell". It says He "went". The same greek word for went (poreutheis) is the same word used in verse 22 for Christ's ascension. The text says nothing of Christ descending down into hell..

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The grave, Huh?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know where we get the word "helmet" from? Hell - met (covered head). Hell (sheol) means simply a covering, which is the grave.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Should we understand Hades to be the grave?