1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus go to Hell

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Sep 20, 2007.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is nothing difficult about this Bob. The only difficult thing is one's belief or readiness to believe what the Scripture says:

1 Peter 3:18-19 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

There it is. Christ went and preached unto the spirits in prison or hell. It is very simple when broken down into its simplest terms. It is one sentence. It takes place before his resurrection, after his death. That context is clearly mentioned in verse 18. The past tense "went" refers to before the resurrection, and yet refers to after his death. He went and proclaimed. He proclaimed his victory over death and sin. This has nothing to do with the rich man, Lazarus, repentance or any of the other red herrings that you have brought in. It is a matter of fact. There are many things in Scripture that we must accept by faith simply because God says so.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You got Bible for this??

Here you accept past tense as written but yet in Rev 20 you deny past tense.

You do not believe it was His body that went and preached to you?

You do believe the same Spirit that raised Him was back in the OT don't you?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What has Revelation 20 got to do with this, and where did I post my views on that chapter?
    The OP is about Jesus descending into Hell. The Apostles Creed was referenced. The discussion has centered around his spirit descending into hell before his resurrection. What happened with the Spirit of Christ during those three days and three nights? We know what happened after the resurrection. He appeared to his disciples. The Bible is specific--After three days HE (his body) arose from the dead.
    No. Where does it say that Christ was back in the OT, except that he appeared in the occasional Christophany. This has nothing to do with the age of Noah.
    Look again at the Scripture:

1 Peter 3:19-20 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The spirits (still in prison) were and are those spirits which were disobedient in the time of Noah while Noah was preparing the Ark. These are probably those disobedient angelic beings described in the first few verses of Genesis 6 which are termed "the sons of God."

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Luk 23:46And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

1 Corinthians, chapter 10
    1: Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
    2: And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
    3: And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
    4: And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

I believe the same Spirit that raised Christ was back in the OP. That same Spirit that raised Him, shall raise us also from the dead.

Isa 61:1¶The Spirit of the Lord GOD [is] upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to [them that are] bound;

#144 Brother Bob, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have quoted Scripture Bob. I can do the same.
    But you haven't demonstrated anything to me. My position stands as strong as ever.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You lost this one DHK; now you need to admit it.............:)

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bob: Christ went down and preached to the spirits in prison.
    You have done nothing to refute that Scripture whatsoever.
    It seems like you don't have the faith to believe what the Bible says.
    You allegorize part of the Bible--the parts you want to; which basically is unbelief.
    Why not allegorize his own resurrection as well? That is the J.W.'s belief?

It is a simple verse in the Bible. What is keeping you from believing it?

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I do believe the verse, just not your spin on it. "He went down" is just not there DHK: You shouldn't accuse me of not having faith to believe. That is not a very Christian thing to do.

BBob,

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He went to the spirits in prison.
    Which part of the word went do you not understand?
    Because I put the word "down" there, does that confuse you? I will leave it out. It is not necessary. The place that is being described is wherever God has placed it, down or otherwise. But it is where Christ went There is a subject, verb, and object. It is not an allegory.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, you also said Christ was not in the OT.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your questions are ambiguous--ambiguous enough so that you can take them and turn my words against me. Christ is from eternity to eternity. He is God. He always was and always is. Don't be insulting. Rather be more specific with your questions.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Your questions are ambiguous--ambiguous enough so that you can take them and turn my words against me. Christ is from eternity to eternity. He is God. He always was and always is. Don't be insulting. Rather be more specific with your questions.

BBob, 1 Corinthians, chapter 10
    1: Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
    2: And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
    3: And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
    4: And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

BBob; You make a bold statement for me to show you where Christ was in the OT and I answer it with scripture and you call me ambiguous? You do want me to be truthful don't you?

I don't think I have ever met anyone who hates to admit being wrong as much as you DHK; .........:)

We can't be right all the time.

Living up there in that cold weather don't help any either...;)

#152 Brother Bob, Sep 27, 2007
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes Bob, I assumed you were asking about Christ in the flesh. as previously you were referring to his resurrection. Why must everything be taken out of context with you?

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I thought were were discussing the Spirit all the time. Just one of my bad habits I guess.

BBob,

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Now why the rabbit trails.
    I have asked before what do these Scriptures have to do with:

1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

If you want to consider some Scripture that is more relevant to the above verse, then consider these:

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Christ went and preached unto the spirits in prison. That is what the Word says. Why is it difficult to believe Bob?

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I believe by His Spirit in the days of Noah. While He was in the grave, His Spirit was with God, in paradise.

"Father, I commend my Spirit into thy hands", a long way from hell.

You do believe He, at the moment He died, commended His Spirit unto the Father, don't you?

#156 Brother Bob, Sep 27, 2007
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are being too simplistic in your interpretation of Scripture here.
    1. Remember that Christ is omnipresent.
    2. The expression in question simply means that he yielded his life to the Father.
    Let me quote some Greek scholars for you:

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He added a little to it "unto thy hands".

Have a good night my Canadian friend :sleeping_2:

19. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen!

Preach it!

In Christ,

Bob