1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus have long hair?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorMark, Feb 24, 2006.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Where do you see that he never got a haircut? It says a razor shall never come on his head. So he was not to shave his head, it doesn't say he has to have hair down to his toes.

Aside from that, Jesus wasn't a nazarite, he was a Nazarene. ;)

2. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I would imagine that his hair was the same length as that of the Romans at the time. For example, the length of Russell Crowe's hair in Gladiator. If you look at the statues of men from the Roman era, they didn't really have long hair.

Regards to you and yours,
    BiR

3. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Craig, sometimes it is hard to tell when you are serious and when you are trying to pull our legs. Or you have split personality, Half normal and half IFB. ;)

I am starting to think you are watching the superbowl on tivo brushing your long hair and laughing at everybody who takes your satire threads seriously.

Maybe you could use a [​IMG] face to let us know when you are not serious. Or would you the spoil the fun. :D
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Roger---can you PROVE "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that Jesus didn't sport a BJU haircut????

Scripture please!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blackbird's "spoofin'" with ya, Roger----you know that, huh?????!!!!!
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I can't believe you folks are actually talking about this!!!

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The picutres we see of Jesus today are mostly reprints of paintings done during the Midevil era. the custom of that time was long hair on men so they interjected that on to Christ in their paintings. The picture shown in a couple of posts is correct according to our recorded findings.

Since no specific description as to the meaning of "long" was given we need to go by the intent of the author, as this is proper exegesis.

Will we go to hell for long hair? Not in the least, but why would we not work diligently to please our Father in heaven instead of trying to find an out. Flaunting our locks may be a sign of a rebellious spirit, long or not.

7. Craigbythesea

During New Testament times abortions were so frequently being performed that the Roman government passed one law after another in a futile attempt to stop them, but no New Testament writer believed that abortion was a significant enough issue to make mention on it. However, the moral decadence expressed by some men by wearing their hair long was a display of sin of such great and alarming seriousness that it could not be allowed to continue.

In our most severely debased society where moral depravity has become the norm even in the church, many persons have lost sight of why the wearing by men of long hair is so utterly sinful and so extremely damaging not only to Christian society but society at large. Nonetheless, this most degrading and perverse behavior is a highly significant cause of gender confusion and homosexuality.

Throughout the entire Bible God is spoken of as being masculine, and in the New Testament the Church is always spoken of using feminine nouns, pronouns, adjectives, and participles. To all but those suffering from the most severe imaginable moral depravity it is expressly clear in the Bible that the woman is to be in subjection to the man and that the two genders are to dress and wear their hair in such a manner as to make it expressly clear to the children and the youth in the church, as well as the adults, that there are two genders and that the female gender is to be in subjection to the male gender so that these young people may learn from their earliest days that the Church and its individual members are to be in continual subjection to Christ in all matters pertaining to life.

And, of course, Satan and every demon and every fallen angel knows how damaging it is to their cause for the Church to be in subjection to Christ and they most cleverly and deceitfully infiltrate the church and the minds of the individual members and persuade them that they have the basic human right to dress as they choose and wear their hair as they choose regardless of the eternal consequences for their children and the children of others.

Indeed, homosexuality has become so common place that it is no longer considered by most of society to be a sin but a perfectly good option. And while many in the Church continue to believe that it is a damnable sin, they insist upon living their lives in such a way that they themselves cause more and more gender confussion and more and more homosexual behavior. Indeed, the desire to dress like a women or to wear ones hair like a woman is in many cases a symptom of repressed homosexual desires, and by encouraging the acting out of these desires, one is incontrovertibly encouraging the acting out of overt homosexual behavior.

But much worse than that, gender confusion results in insubordination in the home and insubordination of the Church to Christ. And not only that, but the willful, deliberate sin on the part of men of wearing their hair long should be absolutely revolting to every man or woman who loves God and who is thankful for what Christ did for them on the cross. Paul did not gloss over this most depraved of sins, he emphasized the depravity of this particular sin more than he did any other, for here, and only here in is writings, he appeals to both the fundamental teachings of the Old Testament and nature itself in support of his teaching under inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

1. Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.
    2. Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you.
    3. But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.
    4. Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head.
    5. But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved.
    6. For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head.
    7. For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
    8. For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man;
    9. for indeed man was not created for the woman's sake, but woman for the man's sake.
    10. Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.
    11. However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.
    12. For as the woman originates from the man, so also the man has his birth through the woman; and all things originate from God.
    13. Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
    14. Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him,
    15. but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.
    16. But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God. (NASB, 1995)

[​IMG]

8. Craigbythesea

Amen! And welcome to the Baptist Board! [​IMG]

I pray that we will be a blessing to you, and you to us.

[​IMG]

9. David J

David J New Member

Just plain old legalism at its best......

This is the reason that Christians get a bad name.

Gee I love the spin and pardon given to the ladies!

Craig you disappoint me greatly. I must say nice deflection about the ladies....

Anyway I've dealt with legalist in the Bible belt. Like I said I grow my hair for 2 to 4 years before I cut it. When I meet these types of legalist I simply apply their legalism to the women and it’s a bitter pill for them to swallow. I get all kinds of excuses. I'm nice to these types but I apply the same methods they use on men on women. Funny thing is I've had them say things to me and their women have hair barely past their ears! But then again we must be nice to the ladies! Right?????

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Craig

Are you realy saying having long hair is worse then killing unborn babys. Are you serious, you must be joking. You seem to change compleatly from one thread to another. Please tell me you dont believe that!

Maybe killing babys is so obviously wrong that it required no mention by the new testament writers. Maybe like me they can clearly see it was already covered by "Thou shall not kill". Are there other sins the new testament writters fail to mention? Are they now ok, as long as we do them with short hair?

Craig are you being serious? :confused:

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Legalism has to do with what is required for salvation. The pharisees were good at this. Even today the SDA says if you do not worship on Sat. you will die and go to hell.

If someone believes scripture teaches for men not to have long hair and believes we need to live bythat standard to represent God correctly then maybe those who do not can agree to disagree without casting labels.

12. PastorMark

PastorMark Member

I started this thread with a serious question. "Did Jesus have long hair?"

This is not the same as, "Can one be saved if they have long hair." Of course they can. Jesus came to save the sinner.

It is also not the same as, "Should someone with long hair be asked to leave the Church?" Of course they should not be asked to leave, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to preach on sin.

It has nothing to do with any of those things, but it may have more to do with denominations, abortions, and several other things that have been discussed than you might think.

The point is, where did the idea of long hair come from, and why?

Well, everyone else has digressed, so I guess I will too.

I believe that most of what we argue about is the work of satan trying to confuse people. This hair issue is just one example. The Bible says that long hair on a man is a shame. That is a plain statement that should be easily understood, but when people see pictures of Jesus with long hair they say, "See, Jesus had long hair, so it is OK." The world tells them it is OK, and now there are some within the Church saying it is OK. The Bible says it is not OK, so it is no wonder people are so confused.

Hair seems like a minor issue, but the same sort of thing began in the 1950s-60s in the sex and drug culture. The birth control pill came on the scene, and people in medicine were telling our youth that sex was now OK because of the pill. Drugs were used, and excuses were given such as, "The American Indians used peyote in spiritual worship, so marijuana, speed, heroin, and acid must be OK, too." We've just seen a Supreme Court decision that validated this idea further when they said it is OK for illegal drugs to be used in spiritual ceremonies by America Indians.

We have Roe v. Wade that allows abortion on demand, and society has stepped back and allowed over 40 million babies to be killed in America. In both the case of drugs and abortion, and I could name numerous others, the claim was made that since the Bible didn't address either one directly, it must be OK. They said that a fetus wasn't a life, so it wasn't murder. They said that drugs were used in Biblical times, but weren't mentioned as sin in the Bible, so they must be OK. Satan accomplished all of this by confusing people.

So why can't we even agree on something as simple as hair? Especially when the Bible DOES tell us how it should be cut? Some will argue that it just doesn't matter, or that hair length is subjective, but that is EXACTLY how America was convinced to allow every other sin to become popular. People were convinced to allow little sins, and then the big ones don't seem so bad. That is a lie of satan, but America has bought into it hook, line, and sinker.

Sin is anything that is not pleasing to God. He said long hair is a shame. Something that is a shame is not pleasing. I don't believe Jesus had long hair, and I've got scripture that is easy to read to tell me so. But even then there are those who want to argue the point. And we wonder why people don't get saved, why the Church is becoming more worldly, and why people seem to be so confused in our society? Wow, I wonder why? It sure isn't because of preachers exposing sin, but it just might be because too many are PROMOTING sin.

So if you're so inclined, give us some more reasons why sin is OK to you. Big sin, little sin, any sin. Let's hear it.

Pastor Mark.

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Craig's sarcasm is definitely an acquired taste [​IMG]

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sin is never okay. Can you tell us exaclty what length hair you consider sin?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The picutres we see of Jesus today are mostly reprints of paintings done during the Midevil era. the custom of that time was long hair on men so they interjected that on to Christ in their paintings. The picture shown in a couple of posts is correct according to our recorded findings.

This is where we got our idea of Jesus with long hair.

Warning: never get your theology from pictures.

16. PastorMark

PastorMark Member

God said "long." What is long to you?

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Is that to be our standard - whatever is long to me? What if I say long is longer than mine (see my pic in this post)?

18. PastorMark

PastorMark Member

Are you the one in the front, or in the back? If you are the man in the back, I would say your hair is not "long" from what I can tell. None of this is my definition. God used the term "long." I think he thought we would be smart enough to figure that out. When God leads me to preach on hair, I just preach on "long" hair being a shame and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting.

Pastor Mark.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I agree that God says long, but long does differ by culture and time.

20. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well I can.What we really need is a theology on haircuts and hair styles.
    Since Jesus was a Jew, why would He wear a roman hair style?Would He not wear a hair style consistant with the jewish men of His time and age?